• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.
  7. There has been an addition to the announcement regarding unacceptable nick names. The phrase "Let's go Brandon" actually stands for a profanity and will be seen as a violation of the profanity rule in the future.

"Great Fast" & Copts

Discussion in 'The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox' started by Gideon4God, Mar 9, 2003.

1. Gideon4God

Gideon4God Regular Member

+1
    Other Religion
    Is Great Lent different for the Coptic Church?

Gideon

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. The Squalid Wanderer

The Squalid Wanderer The Fool

+2
    Anglican
    Do you mean the dates for it to start? If so then no, it is not different from the Orthodox Church. Both churches, use the Julian calendar to calculate Easter, and Lent is determined from that date.

3. CopticOrthodox

CopticOrthodox Member

+6
    Eastern Orthodox
    We fast for 55 days (40 days of Lent + 1 week of fasting in preparation for Lent + the Holy Pascal week between Palm Sunday and Ressurection Sunday).  There is also a 3 day fast of Nineva in preparation shortly beforhand, but with a period of non-fasting in between.  The date of the Ressurection is by the Coptic Calander, upon which the Julian Calander is based.  During these 55 days there are no fish allowed.  People fast until a certain hour, determined with their Father of Confession, and then remain vegan for the remainder of the day.  During the Pascal week we also do not eat anything sweet.  It is traditional to have only bread water and salt for the Pascal week, but this is not required.  People who are unable to fast for the entier period can receive permission from their Father of Confession to fast for a shorter period, but the Pascal week is the minimum that everyone must fast, baring illness or other special conditions.

4. Gideon4God

+1
    Other Religion
    Copts really set the bar high when it comes to personal holiness by way of fasting.

Gideon

5. CopticOrthodox

CopticOrthodox Member

+6
    Eastern Orthodox
    The Ethiopian Orthodox (another Oriental Orthodox Church) have a little bit more fasting than us, I think we're #2.  Thankfully they go easy on converts like me at first at least :)

6. Gideon4God

+1
    Other Religion
    Does a union exist between the two Church's? 

gideon

7. CopticOrthodox

CopticOrthodox Member

+6
    Eastern Orthodox
    What two Churches? The Copts and the Ethiopians? The Oriental Church consists of: The Coptic Orthodox, The Indian Orthodox, The Syrian Orthodox, the Armenian Orthodox, the Ethiopian Orthodox, the Eritrian Orthodox, and the British Orthodox. All one Church in full Communion. Each Church largely keeps to itself, but we all share the same faith and Communion.

8. Gideon4God

+1
    Other Religion

Each has a Bishop that is the "head" of their Church, right?  Two Church's united in one Faith.

9. CopticOrthodox

CopticOrthodox Member

+6
    Eastern Orthodox
    Yes, of the ones listed has a Patriarch, except for the British Orthodox. The Coptic Church is headed by the Pope, the Ethiopian Church by the Abouna, the Armenians by the Supreme Catholicos, same for the Indians, the British are headed by Metropolitan Seraphim, who is directly under Pope Shenouda, and a member of the Holy Synod of the Coptic Church (it's cool seeing a white guy in the pictures of the synod). I'm not sure if the Eritrians have a patriarch or if they're under Pope Shenouda. All the patriarchs are equal.

It's just like the Eastern Orthodox, except we don't have one who has greater honour than the others, like the Greek Patriarch.

10. Gideon4God

+1
    Other Religion
    I was under the impression that the Coptic Pope stood out, like the Greek Patriarch?

11. ThePilgrim

ThePilgrim Veteran

+168
    Eastern Orthodox
    I was unaware that the Alexandrian Patriarch didn't hold any position of honor. Do the Oriental Orthodox not have diptychs and hold to the ordering laid down by the early councils?

Grace and peace,
    Sbn John

(My turn to resurrect a thread ;-) )

12. Monica child of God 1

Monica child of God 1 strives to live eschatologically

+670
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Ahhh! Night of the Living Thread!!!

M.

13. ArmyMatt

ArmyMatt Regular Member Supporter

+17,303
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    hahaha, good one Monica

14. Coptic.Ray

Coptic.Ray Alexandrian

+9
    Oriental Orthodox
    Single
    I guess the Copts where never fans of sorting bishops. I read somewhere that Timothy the Pope of Alexandria left the council of Constantinople when they began to talk about the ranking stuff.
    Among the Oriental Orthodox Churches there is no ranking really. The Churches of Ethiopia and Eritrea are daughter churches of the Coptic church, thus they look up to the Coptic Church kind of thing. That is all as far as I know!