BobY777

Feb 24, 2015
✟8,292.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Luke wrote both Luke and Acts.

Within Luke 24:44-51 it says "and carried up into Heaven". Luke had to be on the Mount of Olives when Jesus spoke His GC words right before His ascension into Heaven. Jesus' exact GC words are in my KJV Bible in red.
And...
Within Acts 1:6-8 it says "and a cloud received him out of their sight". Again, Luke had to be on the Mount of Olives when Jesus spoke His GC words and to see Jesus' ascension into the cloud.
Again, Jesus' exact GC words from Acts are in the KJV Bible in red.

There is an obvious discrepancy in the GC wording in these two books. Since Luke wrote both books mentioned here, why did he write different GC words in Luke and Acts. Both can't be the exact words of Jesus. I'm not sure which red letter wording to trust in my Bible. You would have thought the KJV translators would have questioned this.

Thanks for your help here,
Bob

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,121.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

Within Luke 24:44-51 it says "and carried up into Heaven". Luke had to be on the Mount of Olives when Jesus spoke His GC words right before His ascension into Heaven. Jesus' exact GC words are in my KJV Bible in red.
And...
Within Acts 1:6-8 it says "and a cloud received him out of their sight". Again, Luke had to be on the Mount of Olives when Jesus spoke His GC words and to see Jesus' ascension into the cloud.

There is an obvious discrepancy in the GC wording in these two books. Since Luke wrote both books mentioned here, why did he write different GC words in Luke and Acts. Both can't be the exact words of Jesus. I'm not sure which red letter wording to trust in my Bible. You would have thought the KJV translators would have questioned this.

Bob

Luke was not an eyewitness to those events. But Jesus said a number of things. They need not be written entirely in both accounts.

Upvote 0

throughfiierytrial

Truth-Lover
Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2014
✟522,723.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

And...

Bob
Bob,
This difference you expose for us is not unique in that there are other differences in the accounts given from one Gospel book to another. These differences exist, it has often been explained to me, as part of God's purpose. Each of the inspired writers uses his own "tongue"...experience and witness and expressions. God may have allowed for some differences for a reason...in any event it should not shatter your faith.
There are Harmony of the Gospel books for sale which combine the four Gospel accounts for us to read and find, hopefully, one full account. Each man saw and heard differently on fine points, but put together we get a fuller understanding. Interestingly enough, they mimic the functioning of the Body of Christ/Body of Believers with Christ as our Head. We work together teaching and instructing one another...we need one another for fuller understanding.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,929,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married

And...

Bob
Hi Bob, it's a small matter, but the Biblical phrases that you posited for us, "and carried up into Heaven" and "and a cloud received Him out of their sight" are Ascension passage references, not Great Commission references, so the references for the phrases you gave us above appear to be incorrect (they should be Luke 24:50-53 & Acts of the Apostles 1:9-11, yes?).

You also said that, "Both can't be the exact words of Jesus." You are correct, especially since neither passage (nor the phrases from within those passages that you gave us in the OP) are words that Jesus actually spoke (neither are those words "and carried up into Heaven" / "and a cloud received him out of their sight" written in red in a Red Letter Bible).

Finally, Luke's words about the Ascension in Luke and Acts describe different aspects of the same event, but one is hardly contradictory of the other, just different, as are a number of other aspects of the two accounts. This is good however, yes, as we learn more about the Ascension that way :oldthumbsup:

--David

Upvote 0

Nancy Hale

Dec 29, 2019
Nevada
✟24,486.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

And...

Bob
This is what I have always been taught: Luke was Paul's physician. He traveled with Paul, as Paul was afflicted with some sort of illness. Luke interviewed everyone he came in contact with who knew Jesus and recorded what they said. His approach was more scholarly, yet still inspired by the Holy Spirit.
So, the differences would be easily explained then.
There are several differences in the gospels. How many times did the rooster crow on the night Peter denied Christ? Each is different. Some ppl have abandoned their faith over it! I think all accounts are true! That depending where each disciple was standing in the city, he would have heard a different rooster, a different number of crows. And when each heard Jesus speak that night, they heard the truth, because God can not lie and the truth would be different for each of them because they were scattered!
Which makes the difference incredibly amazing, imo!

Upvote 0