• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.

Grampa just passed away

Discussion in 'Memorials & Grief Support' started by Unofficial Reverand Alex, Sep 21, 2019.

1. Unofficial Reverand Alex

Unofficial Reverand Alex Look up Jason Evert on YouTube; he changed my life Supporter

+1,900
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    "The souls of the just are in the hand of God,
    and no torment shall touch them.
    They seemed, in the view of the foolish, to be dead;
    and their passing away was thought an affliction
    and their going forth from us, utter destruction.
    But they are in peace.
    For if before men, indeed, they be punished,
    yet is their hope full of immortality;
    Chastised a little, they shall be greatly blessed,
    because God tried them
    and found them worthy of himself.
    As gold in the furnace, he proved them,
    and as sacrificial offerings he took them to himself.
    In the time of their visitation they shall shine,
    and shall dart about as sparks through stubble;
    They shall judge nations and rule over peoples,
    and the LORD shall be their King forever.
    Those who trust in him shall understand truth,
    and the faithful shall abide with him in love:
    Because grace and mercy are with his holy ones,
    and his care is with his elect." --Wisdom 3

R. Those who sow in tears shall reap rejoicing.
    When the LORD brought back the captives of Zion,
    we were like men dreaming.
    Then our mouth was filled with laughter,
    and our tongue with rejoicing.
    Then they said among the nations,
    "The LORD has done great things for them."
    The LORD has done great things for us;
    we are glad indeed.
    Restore our fortunes, O LORD,
    like the torrents in the southern desert.
    Those who sow in tears
    shall reap rejoicing.
    Although they go forth weeping,
    carrying the seed to be sown,
    They shall come back rejoicing,
    carrying their sheaves.
    R. Those who sow in tears shall reap rejoicing. --Psalm 126
    My grandpa just passed away Thursday afternoon. He spent the last week of his life being visited by family, with different parts of our very large family visiting him on different days. Going out surrounded by love is the best way he could've gone, and I'm very thankful to God that it happened this way; a lot of my family can be very selfish, but this really brought them out of themselves, and especially for my very young cousins, I pray that this will help us all remember to put family before self.

Sunday was when my family went up to see him; I couldn't go, because I'm at college in a different state & transportation didn't work out, but I talked with him on the phone. It was a brief conversation, but Grampa was never much of a talker (I think the longest conversation I ever had with him was 2 minutes). While they were there, Uncle Dave (one of grampa's sons) brought up 2 of Grampa's favorite things: iced banana cake, and Absolut vodka. It was much appreciated.

While I couldn't come up to see him, and likely won't be able to make the funeral, I had my college's priest dedicate yesterday's Mass to him; the readings were perfect, and I included them at the top of this post.

Please pray for all of my family, especially Grandma (they've been married for about 65 years now). Grampa's been in poor health for years now, and God finally thought it was time to bring him home.

While I've never been particularly close to Grampa, largely because I only ever saw him a few times a year, I've felt very spiritually connected to him for the past few weeks now. In the last few days of his life, he was seeing long-dead relatives, and his childhood dog from 70 years ago kept coming up to visit him (proof that pets are family, too). It was clear that he didn't have long, as the veil between the worlds was so thin.

I've been mixed between some sorrow & some joy about him for the past couple weeks; I'm sad to see him go, but also joyful, because I know where he's going (somehow). After the Mass dedicated to him, I couldn't help feeling peaceful & happy, just knowing "He's free." He's in heaven now, I know it.

Yesterday, after finding out that he passed away, I was walking back to my dorm, thinking about him, and I had one of those gut feelings of "Turn around! Walk the other way!" Not sure what to expect, but thinking I might run into somebody I should talk to about Grampa, I turned around, walking the other way. That's when I swear I heard Grampa laugh; "Ha, ha! Got you!" I just laughed at the beauty of it; even in heaven, Grampa's still a jokester!

Please pray for whatever sort of rebirth will happen after the loss of Grampa; I've done the Stations of the Cross too many times now to think that death just stays as a loss. There's always something new to take the place of whatever went away. I know Grampa kept asking for the past few years if I'd found a girlfriend yet, and I know it would really please him if he could be part of the process of bringing me to whoever God has for me; I do feel like I may have found the right one, for a variety of reasons, but wherever any of this leads, I know that something even greater will rise out of what was lost.

Thank you all & may God bless us all, especially those who are dying & need to hold out trust in the Lord until the end!

• Prayers Prayers x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Anhelyna

Anhelyna Handmaid of God Supporter CF Senior Ambassador

+11,868
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    Eternal Memory !

3. devin553344

devin553344 I believe in the Resurrection

+2,183
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    Sorry to hear you lost your grand father :( My prayers are with you.

4. Tigger45

Tigger45 Entrance of the Theotokos Supporter

+7,720
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Constitution
    God’s grace upon all those effected by his departure :pray:

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List