Deus est regit qui omnia
Apr 14, 2008
Indiana
✟11,689.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Hello, I was wondering if anybody would have any guidance at pursuing graduate education?

I am extremely aware of the pitfalls/dangers of pursuing a PhD/grad school these days. Little-to-no job opportunities, huge price to pay with time and money, etc...

But at this point in my life studying is something I love to much to give up now and I've decided I'm going to keep pursuing academics until all of my doors are closed.

For some background to help understand my situation... I have 3 semester left studying Biblical Languages at Moody Bible Institute. After this I will have taken 3 and a half years of Biblical Hebrew and Greek, a year and a half of French (in preparation for graduate reading exams), and will have obtained a reading knowledge of Biblical Aramaic through self-study. Outside of my core classes I will have taken numerous theology classes, some ministry-training classes, and the typical general education classes.

My questions are for anyone who has either gone through doctoral work or knows enough about it to help answer my questions.

1.) How do I obtain more research-experience at a non-research based school? I hate people who dog on their alma-mater, but I'm lying if I'm not saying that Moody is far more concerned with ministry-training than academic training. This isn't to say that there aren't the departments and professors who aim for academic rigor, but overall I'm not sure I'm getting a good amount of research experience. For example, a senior thesis is not required at Moody (though I might ask a professor if he could arrange for me to do so). How do I practice research-writing while still here? Furthermore, what do I do with said-writing? (Do I just write things for myself, try to publish? etc.)

2.) Considering that I have only a year and a half left, how focused should my research-interests be at this point? Obviously for simply trying to get into graduate school 'Hebrew Bible and the Ancient Near East' will be adequate, and graduate school (I've been told) should help narrow my research-interests. But after emailing an admissions rep from the U. of Chicago, they told me to think about considering applying to their PhD program after I graduate from undergrad (bahahahaha, as if I'd be able to get in...), but to make sure I was able to articulate my research interests and show how they align with their Near Eastern Languages and Civilization department. Which led me to realize... I'm not entirely sure what my research interests specifically are yet...

I feel like these two questions are related; I think that once I get my hands dirty with more research/writing experience I may begin to develop more specific research interests...

Thanks in advance!!!

Sep 4, 2011
✟10,276.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Did you make any decisions over the last few months?

I should tell you, there are some schools that offer stipends for PhD students. At the master's level it's often an exchange for tuition -- teaching or staffing a lab. The PhD students contribute to research or teaching if they're on a full time deal, so some even get health benefits covered in addition to possible tuition and stipends.

This is not true of every school, so check out each school's web page and make some phone calls. Some just increase the fees and call it a day.

Upvote 0