Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Jehovah's Witnesses claim to do so also, doesn't make them Christian.

They are a Christian group and they are classified as such in every reference source.
When you sit down and bible study with them, you'll be in agreement on most everything they say. Maybe not in enthusiastic agreement.

• Agree
Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
They are a Christian group and they are classified as such in every reference source.
Not by these forums. Jehovah's Witnesses are Arian or Semi-Arian and as such are outside of orthodox Christianity. Just as this "Church" is. At best the church in question here is a form of Unitarian Universalist, not Unitarian in Oneness form, but Universalist in that Jesus is not the only path to "experience the Sacredness and Oneness of life."

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,868.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
When you sit down and bible study with them, you'll be in agreement on most everything they say. Maybe not in enthusiastic agreement.

Classified according to whom? Catholics, Orthodox and most Protestants wouldn't call them Christian and they are considered, by most, the majority who we call Christian. Hence the classification seems dubious, since the same people might consider Gnostics a type of Christian or Christian scientists a type of Christian. Does the majority, historic

My argument for limiting the franchise is that if everyone is now considered a Christian, simply because they claim to follow Jesus the label means next to nothing. Mormons are polytheists, should we consider them Christian as well? Even if they have good social teachings?

What does Gracepoint require as mandatory beliefs? Apparently none. Which to my mind makes them little better than a secular get together on Sunday club.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Butterball1

Dec 31, 2020
Tennessee
✟32,337.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Faith in Jesus and "the church" is those of that faith.
Not any specific buildings or labels.
???
In the Bible the institution of marriage is used to describe Christ's relationship with His church, Ephesians 5:23-24, the church is the bride of Christ and Christ is the husband. Paul told the Christians at Corinth "I have espoused you to one husband", 2 Corinthians 11:2. The Bible teaches one husband married to one bride, therefore Christ is not a spiritual polygamist, not a spiritual adulterer married to 1000's of brides.

Upvote 0

Sage50

Dec 30, 2020
In Christ
✟21,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
19Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God; 20And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone; 21In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord: 22In whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit.
Ephesians 2:19-20
2 Timothy 3:15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

The defense of the Foundation of Faith is worthy. Those who apostatize and defend their carnal minds and meandering and wanderings, do show they have no real faith in Jesus Christ the Head.
the devils believed, but did not believe unto Righteousness, these devils even confessed who Jesus was, and Jesus forbade them speak.
Authentic Faith is a faith that believes unto righteousness.

“For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.” (Romans 10:10)

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
They said on their website about themselves that they are 'progressive' and went on to say "Although Progressive Christianity defies specific doctrines". They admit they defy doctrine, not defying my "doctrinal preferences".

I checked but could not find "Progressive Christianity" anywhere in the Bible.

When the Bible (not me) says there is ONE church and ONE faith then that means there is ONE church and ONE faith.....1=1.
If I thought Christianity was truly made up of 1000's of unaffiliated groups with conflicting, mutual exclusive beliefs (which is totally antitetical to 'truth', John 17:17) yet all were some how "magically" right then I would not be on this forum or have anything to do with "Christianity". I would probably be agnostic if not an outright rank atheist.
So... are you Catholic? I thought you were protestant. (my bad)

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
GracePoint is about as orthodox as the ECUSA or the PCUSA, ie., it isn't. Our Lord was a great teacher, they'll say, and goes downhill from there. Their dogma is "Be excellent to each other" and Party on, dudes!". YOu're better off watching the movie.
I think you are shooting from the hip on that one. (without research) That is not what they are about at all.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Cont...The unfortunate part of this whole thing is the couples are being lied to. They think God is sanctioning their marriage when in fact He is not. The Pastor and actually all Pastors who take part in same-sex marriages are deceiving all these people and their congregation. Very egregious.

You are misspeaking about where God lives. It's not a sky-condo or a courtroom.

Did you realize there is no marriage ceremony in scripture where God sanctions a marriage? It's a completely secular and cultural event sprinkled with passages. It's got rings and people giving people away and walks down an aisle sprinkled with flower petals....and none of it is found in the Bible. If Jesus shows up then there is unlimited wine for everyone.

Jeremiah 31:33
But this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, declares the Lord: I will put my law within them, and I will write it on their hearts. And I will be their God, and they shall be my people.

Proverbs 21:2
Every way of a man is right in his own eyes, but the Lord weighs the heart.

Ezekiel 11:19
And I will give them one heart, and a new spirit I will put within them. I will remove the heart of stone from their flesh and give them a heart of flesh,

1 Samuel 16:7
But the Lord said to Samuel, “Do not look on his appearance or on the height of his stature, because I have rejected him. For the Lord sees not as man sees: man looks on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart.”

2 Corinthians 3:3

And you show that you are a letter from Christ delivered by us, written not with ink but with the Spirit of the living God, not on tablets of stone but on tablets of human hearts.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Their dogma is "Be excellent to each other".

That does sound familiar.

Matthew 7:12
“So whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets.

Luke 6:31
And as you wish that others would do to you, do so to them.

Hebrews 10:24-25
And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near.

Matthew 7:1-29
“Judge not, that you be not judged. For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you. Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye?

Philippians 2:3-8
Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others. Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. ...

Ephesians 4:29
Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear.

Acts 20:35
In all things I have shown you that by working hard in this way we must help the weak and remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he himself said, ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’”

Galatians 5:14
For the whole law is fulfilled in one word: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.”

1 Corinthians 13:1-13
If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing. Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; ...

Romans 13:8-10
Owe no one anything, except to love each other, for the one who loves another has fulfilled the law. For the commandments, “You shall not commit adultery, You shall not murder, You shall not steal, You shall not covet,” and any other commandment, are summed up in this word: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” Love does no wrong to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Not by these forums. Jehovah's Witnesses are Arian or Semi-Arian and as such are outside of orthodox Christianity. Just as this "Church" is.

I said JW's are Christian according to "Reference" sources. So we are not in dispute.
If you do a JW bible study, you will only notice that they get cranky. Their Bible translation is virtually identical. There are scores of denominations that get cranky about certain aspects of their faith.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟607,074.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Not by these forums. Jehovah's Witnesses are Arian or Semi-Arian and as such are outside of orthodox Christianity. Just as this "Church" is. At best the church in question here is a form of Unitarian Universalist, not Unitarian in Oneness form, but Universalist in that Jesus is not the only path to "experience the Sacredness and Oneness of life."

Going over this thread I was thinking this church sounds pretty much along the lines of Unitarian Universalist. I'm not sure why this particular church is any big deal compared to all the others like it that have been around for a long time.

• Agree
Reactions: tampasteve
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Was Jesus inclusive?

About 3/4 of the way down their About Us page I found this video message about inclusiveness and the Bible. About Us — GracePointe Church

The speaker makes some good points. We gentiles are only in the church because God was inclusive toward us. We were invited in when Peter was sent to the house of Cornelius. (Acts 10:15, Acts 10:45)

Jesus was inclusive of who he spoke to, but he is exclusive in that He is the Only Way to God.

Other religions are helpful only in how they can point us to Jesus ( if they can )

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Unfortunately, our tendency is to run away in fear rather than hear someone out and possibly learn something from them. What do they mean when they say "experience spiritual unity and the oneness of life" ?

When things like, " Jesus is only one of the ways" alarm bells ring.
Jesus never said anything remotely like that.
He claimed to be the only way to God.
The only way for real life.
The only way for sins to be forgiven.

There are no others by which we can experience spiritual life.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When things like, " Jesus is only one of the ways" alarm bells ring.
Jesus never said anything remotely like that.
He claimed to be the only way to God.
The only way for real life.
The only way for sins to be forgiven.

There are no others by which we can experience spiritual life.
Is that what you think Gracepointe is teaching? More than one way to God?

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Going over this thread I was thinking this church sounds pretty much along the lines of Unitarian Universalist. I'm not sure why this particular church is any big deal compared to all the others like it that have been around for a long time.
I'm appalled at what most on this thread are saying about Gracepointe. They are scanning the surface and finding clues that lead them to jump to conclusions that seem incorrect to me. I've taken the time to listen to a few of their videos. They take a broader view of everything. They aren't afraid to ask questions, or to admit that they don't know all the answers. Like a breathe of fresh air really. The presentation on inclusion is amazing. I don't agree with everything they are saying, but I could say that about any church.

• Useful
Reactions: SkyWriting
Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟607,074.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm appalled at what most on this thread are saying about Gracepointe. They are scanning the surface and finding clues that lead them to jump to conclusions that seem incorrect to me. I've taken the time to listen to a few of their videos. They take a broader view of everything. They aren't afraid to ask questions, or to admit that they don't know all the answers. Like a breathe of fresh air really. The presentation on inclusion is amazing. I don't agree with everything they are saying, but I could say that about any church.

Well unfortunately on my part I was responding to the issue of the feedback, rather than exploring the church itself. In general there are a lot of Unitarian liberal progressive secular etc churches, and there's nothing really new about that. So I don't see why this particular church, if it is another one of them, is a big deal compared to all the rest.

As for Gracepoint, since I made that comment, I'll dig into it and give my opinion.

Upvote 0