Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's the opposite of what I said, they were unorthodox but considered Jesus radical for His true orthodoxy.
If Jesus was orthodox, then he wasn't radical. If Jesus was radical, he wasn't orthodox. (per the definition of orthodox) Radical is heterodox.

Orthodox:
Adhering to the accepted or traditional and established faith, especially in religion.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,147,348.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Again, what I glean from Gracepointe's own description of their beliefs is that they don't believe Jesus to be God Incarnate, but instead as simply an enlightened teacher, or maybe even a bodhisattva. They don't appear to see Him as the Lord and Creator of the universe. If I wanted to be a Buddhist I would.
This appears to be wrong. There is a section of the web page with 4 sermons that give the basics. The one on Jesus calls Jesus the living presence of God. They don’t see him as just another teacher, but they do believe people can know God other ways. That a standard inclusivist belief, which is probably the majority view among Christians.

• Agree
Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This appears to be wrong. There is a section of the web page with 4 sermons that give the basics. The one on Jesus calls Jesus the living presence of God. They don’t see him as just another teacher, but they do believe people can know God other ways. That a standard inclusivist belief, which is probably the majority view among Christians.
Great point, I agree.

Listening to Pastor Stan Mitchell preach in those four 101 videos says a lot about Gracepointe. That anyone would claim it is not a Christian church is just incorrect. IMHO

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,147,348.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Great point, I agree.

Listening to Pastor Stan Mitchell preach in those four 101 videos says a lot about Gracepointe. That anyone would claim it is not a Christian church is just incorrect. IMHO
There are several definition of Christian
* Believes the right things
* Accepts Christ as Lord and Savior
* Is properly baptized

It's easy to exclude people under the first, since you get to define your list of required beliefs.

• Useful
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Actually Titus 1 & 2 gives a good discourse on sound doctrine and what becomes it.

But it doesn't claim to be sound doctrine at all.
Whereas good doctrine says that it is important.
Which is a far higher calling than a random letter.

Mark 12:31
The second is this: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.”

James 2:8
If you really fulfill the royal law according to the Scripture, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself,” you are doing well.

Romans 15:2
Let each of us please his neighbor for his good, to build him up.

Matthew 7:12
“So whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets.

Galatians 5:14
For the whole law is fulfilled in one word: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.”

Luke 10:27
And he answered, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind, and your neighbor as yourself.”

Romans 13:10
Love does no wrong to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

Luke 6:31
And as you wish that others would do to you, do so to them.

Matthew 19:19
Honor your father and mother, and, You shall love your neighbor as yourself.”

Leviticus 19:16-18
You shall not go around as a slanderer among your people, and you shall not stand up against the life of your neighbor: I am the Lord. “You shall not hate your brother in your heart, but you shall reason frankly with your neighbor, lest you incur sin because of him. You shall not take vengeance or bear a grudge against the sons of your own people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself: I am the Lord.

Galatians 6:10
So then, as we have opportunity, let us do good to everyone, and especially to those who are of the household of faith.

Matthew 22:39
And a second is like it:
You shall love your neighbor as yourself.

Luke 10:29
But he, desiring to justify himself, said to Jesus, “And who is my neighbor?”

Note, the source is not just Paul's opinion, so it is valid.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟461,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
If Jesus was orthodox, then he wasn't radical. If Jesus was radical, he wasn't orthodox. (per the definition of orthodox) Radical is heterodox.

Orthodox:
Adhering to the accepted or traditional and established faith, especially in religion.

Actually, that’s not what Orthodox literally means. It literally means “right worship” whereas Heterodox literally means “Other worship.” The term heterodox was coined by the Eastern Orthodox, who are very radical compared to other Christians, to refer to other traditions in Christianity without using the more polemical “cacodox” or “heretical.” There is an iconoclastic abuse of the word Orthodox in the English language by people who know nothing about Eastern Orthodox (or Pravoslav) Christianity and Oriental Orthodox Christianity and their radical multisensory beauty, but instead are using the word to mean “doctrinaire.”

• Informative
Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Their website makes it clear they are Progressive, as here defined:

View attachment 295891

and here

View attachment 295892
Just how progressive are they?
If you walk into church with a obscene word on your shirt in reference to Joe Biden, do they still welcome you?
If you are going to claim to exclude no one, that would include people who hate Jews, blacks, or those who hate white people or those who believe in violence as a means to an end.
Most " progressives are only really welcoming people who think like they do in reality.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just how progressive are they?
If you walk into church with a obscene word on your shirt in reference to Joe Biden, do they still welcome you?
If you are going to claim to exclude no one, that would include people who hate Jews, blacks, or those who hate white people or those who believe in violence as a means to an end.
Most " progressives are only really welcoming people who think like they do in reality.
This video captures the heart of this Pastor and what he and his church has been through. At about 44 minutes in he goes over the history briefly and then makes a landmark announcement.

Upvote 0