• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Grace - the unmerited favor of God

Discussion in 'Traditional Adventists' started by bloodygrace, Sep 23, 2016.

1. Sabbathkeeper&Wife

Sabbathkeeper&Wife 1Corinthians 13:2 - agape

+109
    Christian
    Married
    And their works do follow them. Rev 14:13 speaking of the last round of martyrs

2. bloodygrace

bloodygrace Newb Member

+149
    Protestant
    Married
    Sanctification is a finished work 'in Christ'. Heb. 10:10,14,29

By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all. Heb. 10:10

We have already been sanctified in Christ - the question is do you believe it or not? and it appears you don't.

3. bloodygrace

bloodygrace Newb Member

+149
    Protestant
    Married
    For all those out there who would like to know the absolute best way to refute law keepers like Messianics, Hebrew roots and SDA it is to preach the unmerited grace of God. These groups are all performance driven which means they are destitute of the grace of God. Grace is unmerited so we don't receive it by any human works we can perform. Grace is given not because we are good but because God is good. All the proud law keepers who look down on others because they have more 'good works' are the real wolves in sheep's clothing.

4. Dave-W

Dave-W Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner! Supporter

+16,568
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    US-Others
    Sorry. You are missing the whole concept of growing up in Him, being changed from glory to glory into the image of our Lord.

That process is sanctification. Being more and more set apart (which is what that word means) from the world.

5. bloodygrace

bloodygrace Newb Member

+149
    Protestant
    Married
    You didn't even attempt to address the verses which is typical.

6. bloodygrace

bloodygrace Newb Member

+149
    Protestant
    Married
    bump

7. masmpg

masmpg Well-Known Member

+166
    SDA
    Single
    You are misquoting that verse. We are justified when we accept Jesus but that is just the beginning of our walk of sanctification. Paul wrote in 2Corinthians:3:18: "But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord." He also wrote in Romans:8:1: "There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit." After telling the Romans how to be justified in Romans 7, which is only the beginning of the Christian walk of sanctification, he starts to teach them what it means to walk the walk of sanctification. Paul also says in Colosians:2:6: "As ye have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk ye in him:" This is the walk of sanctification. The quote you use shows that Jesus died once and for all, and it is for our sanctification, but then what Jesus said in John:17:17-19: "Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth. As thou hast sent me into the world, even so have I also sent them into the world. And for their sakes I sanctify myself, that they also might be sanctified through the truth." Although we are sanctified, past tense we are still going through the process of sanctification. We are told in 2Timothy:2:21: "If a man therefore purge himself from these, he shall be a vessel unto honour, sanctified, and meet for the master's use, and prepared unto every good work." We are to be sanctified in order to do the Lord's work, but the process of sanctification continues. We are sanctified at every step of our Christian walk. If we do not know something, which not everyone knows everything, the Comforter convicts us of the thing we do not know or follow, and through these convictions we become sanctified each step of the way from glory to glory.

8. Sabbathkeeper&Wife

Sabbathkeeper&Wife 1Corinthians 13:2 - agape

+109
    Christian
    Married
    ......and will lead us into all truth. The Comforter, yea the Holy Spirit, is the Spirit of Truth.

9. bloodygrace

bloodygrace Newb Member

+149
    Protestant
    Married
    The reason sanctification seems to be a 'process' to so many Christians is because we start out with a weak faith in Christ and as our faith grows we receive more of his righteousness. So the variable in the equation is our faith which goes from weak to strong. The righteousness of Christ never changes, it's the same yesterday, today and forever.

10. masmpg

masmpg Well-Known Member

+166
    SDA
    Single
    The thing that the author is referring to as "once for all" is the offering of the body of Jesus Christ, NOT being sanctified. We are sanctified from glory to glory, but sanctification goes on! Wrap you carnal mind around that one.

11. bloodygrace

bloodygrace Newb Member

+149
    Protestant
    Married
    Faith is the variable in the equation. Jesus spoke of some with weak faith and others with great faith like the Roman centurion. Christ's righteousness never changes, it's the same yesterday, today and forever.

12. bloodygrace

bloodygrace Newb Member

+149
    Protestant
    Married
    This was somewhat rude.

13. Gary K

Gary K Well-Known Member

+146
    United States
    SDA
    Married
    US-Constitution
    God's law is love. God's character is love. Therefore, keeping the law is loving our fellow man. God's law and His love are indissoluble. They cannot be broken apart. Therefore, if I love my fellow man according to God's law, I am loving them as God loves me, for He loves me according to His own law.

The above quote makes it quite clear that God and His law are one and the same. And since God is love, so is His law. If we are keeping it we are loving others as God loves us.

Jesus said, Whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them; for this is the law and the prophets. Matthew 7:12

Paul said, But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law. Galatians 5: 22 and 23

Paul also said, This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh. Galatians 5;19

Did Jesus live according to God's law? Of course He did for He kept God's law perfectly. He never sinned. Thus he kept the law but was not under the law's condemnation as we are when we break it.

Paul told us what the lust of the flesh is also: Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God. Galatians 5: 18-21

Everything Paul listed as the lust(works) of the flesh is a violation of the 10 commandments. Everything that Paul listed as being the fruit of the Spirit is in harmony with the law of God. Paul said that anyone who keeps on violating God's law will not inherit the kingdom of God. He also gave us the solution to keeping the law of God: walking(living) in harmony with the Spirit. Therefore Paul has shown us that sinning is not necessary, and that when we live according to what the Comforter tells us, and empowers us to do, that we are keeping God's law.

Is it our strength by which we keep the law? No. It is through the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. The OT tells us the same thing. "Moreover also I gave them my sabbaths, to be a sign between me and them, that they might know that I am the Lord that sanctify them." Ezekiel 20:12 This is a reiteration of God said in Exodus 20: 8-11 for it is the acknowledgement that by ceasing all of our work we are trusting God to sanctify us. The word, all, when connected to work means for us to cease working in all forms which includes working to make ourselves holy and to trust to God to be the One to make us holy. This is the same rest that Paul referred to in Hebrews 4: 9 and 10: There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God. For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his. How do we enter into that rest? By keeping the Sabbath.

When did God cease from His works? On the seventh day. When we keep it holy, set it aside to worship God, we are doing the same thing. We are ceasing to trust in our works to become holy and are trusting God to make us holy.

14. woobadooba

woobadooba Legend

+864
    Christian
    Married
    I agree.