Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
FREE E-mail Subscription:
Grace Gems!

Shun them as they would the plague!

(Arthur Pink)

"Having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with them!" 2 Timothy 3:5

There are a multitude of such today!

"Having a form of godliness." This means that they have a religious veneer. They bear the name of Christ, belong to some so-called evangelical church, and seek to create the impression that they are regenerate people. But like the foolish bridesmaids of Matthew 25, they "took their lamps--but took no oil with them." These professors are neither indwelt by the Holy Spirit, nor made partakers of the transforming grace of God.

It is said of them, secondly, "but denying its power." The reality of vital godliness is lacking, the beauties of holiness are not found in them. By their lips, they claim to be godly--but by their lives, they give the lie to it. "They claim to know God, but by their actions they deny him. They are detestable, disobedient and unfit for doing anything good!" (Titus 1:16)

"Have nothing to do with them!" With such people, the children of God are to have nothing to do with--but are to shun them as they would the plague!

PUBLIC DOMAIN: Permission is not required to reproduce this material.

Good News! -- The Holy Bible is the WORD OF GOD! -- God The Father, God The Son, God The Holy Spirit - The Creator Of All Things! -- "GOD'S GRACE" and "OUR WORKS" -- Thanksgiving Proclamations ( 1623 to 1863 ) -- Thanksgiving Proclamations ( 1961 to 2001 ) -- JESUS CHRIST - VERY GOD - LORD - SAVIOUR - MESSIAH - KING

Upvote 0

nChrist

AKA: Tom - Saved By Grace Through Faith
Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟879,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Grace Gems!

Post-mortem kindnesses

(J. R. Miller)

Do not keep the alabaster boxes of your affection sealed and laid away--until your friends are dead. Fill their present days with tenderness. Speak your words of commendation, while their ears can hear them! The things you mean to say when they are dead and gone--say before they go! The flowers you mean to send for their coffins--send beforehand to brighten and sweeten their homes, before they leave them forever!

I have often said--and I know I speak for thousands of other weary, plodding toilers--that if my friends have vases laid away, filled with the perfumes of sympathy and affection, which they intend to break over my dead body--I would far rather they would bring them out now along my toilsome days and open them--when I can enjoy them and be refreshed by them!

Post-mortem kindnesses do not cheer the burdened spirit. Tears falling on the icy brow of death, make poor and too tardy atonement for coldness, neglect, and cruel selfishness in life's long, struggling years. Appreciation, after the heart is stilled in death--has no inspiration for the departed one; it comes too late, when it is pronounced only in funeral eulogies. Flowers piled on the coffin--cast no fragrance backward over weary days.

Good News! -- The Holy Bible is the WORD OF GOD! -- God The Father, God The Son, God The Holy Spirit - The Creator Of All Things! -- "GOD'S GRACE" and "OUR WORKS" -- Thanksgiving Proclamations ( 1623 to 1863 ) -- Thanksgiving Proclamations ( 1961 to 2001 ) -- JESUS CHRIST - VERY GOD - LORD - SAVIOUR - MESSIAH - KING

Upvote 0

nChrist

Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟879,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Grace Gems!

What a family has He to bear with!

(Letters of John Newton)

"The Lord is slow to anger, abounding in love and forgiving sin and rebellion!" Numbers 14:18

What a family has He to bear with!

Those whom he has graciously saved, have secret idols in their hearts!

His friends hold a secret correspondence with His enemies!

His children repine against Him, and quarrel one with another!

His servants (ministers) serve themselves!

"But You, O Lord, are a compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness!" Psalm 86:1

Upvote 0

nChrist

Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟879,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Grace Gems!

Overcoming the world

(Arthur Pink, "Faith as an Overcomer")

"For everyone born of God overcomes the world. This is the victory that has overcome the world, even our faith." 1 John 5:4

One of the fruits of the new birth, is a faith which not only enables its possessor to overcome the sensual and sinful customs, and the carnal maxims and policies by which the profane world is regulated--but also the lying delusions and errors by which the professing world is fatally deceived.

The only thing which will or can "overcome the world" is a God-given--but self-exercised faith.

Faith overcomes the world firstly, by receiving into the heart God's infallible testimony of the world. He declares that "the world" is a corrupt, evanescent, hostile thing, which shall soon be destroyed by Him. His Holy Word teaches that the world is "evil" (Galatians 1:4); that "all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father--but is of the world" (1 John 2:16); that "the whole world lies in wickedness" (1 John 5:19) and shall yet be "burned up" (2 Peter 3:10). As faith accepts God's verdict of the world, the mind is spiritually enlightened; and its possessor views it as a worthless, dangerous, and detestable thing!

Faith overcomes the world secondly, by obeying the Divine commands concerning it. God has bidden us, "Do not be conformed to this world" (Romans 12:2); "Do not love the world, neither the things that are in the world" (1 John 2:15); and warns us that "Anyone who chooses to be a friend of the world, becomes an enemy of God." (James 4:4). By heeding the Divine precepts, its magic spell over the heart is broken.

Faith overcomes the world thirdly, by occupying the soul with more glorious, soul-delighting and satisfying objects. The more the substance of the heavenly world engages the heart--the less hold will the shadows of this earthly world have upon it. "For he was looking forward to the city with foundations, whose architect and builder is God" (Hebrews 11:10).

Faith overcomes the world fourthly, by drawing out the heart unto Christ. As it was by fleeing to Him for refuge, that the soul was first delivered from the power and thraldom of this world--so it is throughout the Christian life. The more we cultivate real communion with Christ--the less attraction will the baubles of this world have for us! The strength of temptation lies entirely in the bent of our affections, "for where your treasure is, there will your heart be also" (Matthew 6:21). While Christ is beheld as "the chief among ten thousand" (Song 5:10) and as "altogether lovely" (Song 5:16) --the things which charm the poor worldling, will repel us.

The world gains the victory over the unregenerate by captivating their affections and capturing their wills. But the Christian overcomes the world, because his affections are set upon Christ and his will yielded to Him.

Here--then, we have a sure criterion by which we may determine our Christian progress or spiritual growth. If the things of this world have a decreasing power over me--then my faith is becoming stronger. If I am holding more lightly the things most prized by the ungodly--then I must be increasing in an experimental and soul-satisfying knowledge of Christ. If I am less cast down when some of the riches and comforts of this world are taken from me--then that is evidence they have less hold upon me.

Upvote 0

nChrist

Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟879,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Grace Gems!

It is finished!

(J. C. Ryle)

"It is finished!" John 19:30

Let us turn from the story of the crucifixion, every time we read it--with hearts full of praise.

Let us praise God for the confidence it gives us, as to the ground of our hope of pardon. Our sins may be many and great--but the payment made by our Great Substitute far outweighs them all!

Let us praise God for the view it given us of the love of our Father in heaven. He who spared not His own Son, but delivered Him up for us all--will surely with Him give us all things!

Not least, let us praise God for the view it gives us of the sympathy of Jesus with all His believing people. He can be touched with the feeling of our infirmities. He knows what suffering is. Jesus is just the Savior that an infirm body, with a weak heart, in an evil world, requires!

Upvote 0

nChrist

Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟879,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Grace Gems!

The grace of gentleness

(J. R. Miller, "Counsel and Help" 1907)

"Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me--for I am gentle and humble in heart." Matthew 11:29

There are some Christians who seem never to have learned love's secret of gentleness. There is nothing that this sad, sorrowing, sinning world needs--more than gentleness; like that of Him of whom it is written, that He would not break a bruised reed. We need to pray for the grace of gentleness that we may walk softly among men, never hurting another life by harsh word or ungentle act.

"We were gentle among you, like a mother caring for her little children." 1 Thessalonians 2:7

"Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love." Ephesians 4:2

Upvote 0

nChrist

Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟879,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Grace Gems!

A mixed condition

(Thomas Brooks, "The Crown and Glory of Christianity, or, HOLINESS, the Only Way to Happiness", 1662)

The condition of God's people in this life is a mixed condition.
In this life they have . . .
their rejoicing times--and their mourning times,
their laughing times--and their weeping times,
their singing times--and their sorrowing times, etc.

It is true, in heaven there is . . .
all joy--and no sorrow,
all gladness--and no sadness.

And in hell there is . . .
all sorrow--and no joy,
all grief--and no gladness,
all howling--and no singing,
all madness--and no mirth.

But in this present life it is otherwise, for if there would be nothing but joy--many would look for no other heaven. And if there should be nothing but sorrow--most would look for no other hell.

If men should have nothing but joy--how sadly would they be puffed up! And if they should have nothing but sorrow--how easily would they be cast down! But now, by a divine hand, our sorrows being mixed with our joys--our hearts come to be the more effectually weaned from the vanities of this life, and to long more earnestly after the pure and unmixed joys in the world of glory!

Upvote 0

nChrist

Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟879,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Grace Gems!

I live now more as a little helpless infant

(Letters of Mary Winslow)

"The world with its lust is passing away, but the one who does God’s will remains forever!" 1 John 2:17

May you be unceasingly led to see, that this world is not worthy of one anxious thought! It is all passing away, and we shall soon stand before the great white throne!

Realize more and more your glorious inheritance, and do not covet the poor trifles of time and sense.

Time is short!

You have much to do for God in a little space.

Eternity will be quite long enough to rest!

I am near my eternal home. Jesus is very precious, and His presence is sensibly with me. I live now more as a little helpless infant upon Christ, than ever I did in my long life.

Upvote 0

nChrist

Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟879,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Grace Gems!

You are a filthy pauper!

(Arthur Pink, "Identification of the Godly")

"For this is what the high and lofty One says--He who lives forever, whose name is holy: I live in a high and holy place--but also with him who is of a contrite and humble spirit." Isaiah 57:15

A humble spirit or heart, is an infallible sign of regeneration; for the unregenerate are proud, self-satisfied, self-righteous.

Yet the very mention of the word "humility" seems to cut off many Christians. As they examine themselves, they discover so much pride at work within, that they are quite unable to persuade themselves that they have a humble heart. It seems to them--that humility is one thing they most evidently lack. Now it will no doubt be a startling statement--but we unhesitatingly affirm that the great majority of God's people are far more humble than they suppose!

FIRST, that the Christian reader possesses a humble heart, is plain from the fact that he confesses himself to be a Hell-deserving sinner. We do not have in mind what you say of yourself when in the company of your fellows--but rather what you feel and say of yourself when alone with God. Whatever pretenses you are guilty of before men--when in the presence of the Omniscient One--you are real, sincere, and genuine.

Now, dear reader, be honest with yourself: When on your knees before the Throne of Grace, do you freely and frankly acknowledge that if you received your lawful due, you would--even now--be suffering the dreadful fires of Hell? If so, a miracle of grace must have been wrought within you. No unregenerate person will or can honestly make such a confession to God--for he does not feel he has done anything deserving of eternal punishment.

SECOND, if you own that "all your righteous acts are like filthy rags," that is proof you possess a humble heart. Of course, we mean much more than your merely uttering those words as a parrot might, or even singing then during some religious service. We mean that when you are in the presence of the Lord--which is always the surest test--you personally realize that you have not a single meritorious deed of your own to commend you to His favorable regard.

We mean that, when bowed in His presence, in the calmness and quietness of your prayer-closet, you own without any qualification, that your best performances are defiled by sin--and that in yourself, you are a filthy pauper!

If that is indeed your language before God--it most certainly issues from a humble heart. The heart of the natural man thinks and feels the very opposite, and can no more loathe himself--than transform himself into a holy angel.

THIRD, if you receive everything in the Scriptures as a little child--that is another proof that a miracle of grace has been wrought within you and that you now possess a humble heart. By nature, all are "wise and prudent" in their own esteem.

The enmity of the proud carnal mind rises up against the sovereignty of God--making one vessel to honor and another to dishonor; against the spirituality and strictness of the Divine Law--which curses all who deviate the slightest from its holy demands; and against the endless punishment of all dying out of Christ. But the regenerate, though there is much they do not understand, accept without murmur or question--all that is revealed in the Word. If you do, that is proof that your pride has been abased before God.

How thankful we should be that Scripture does not say that God dwells only in those who have complete victory over sin, or those who enjoy unbroken and unclouded communion with Him. Had those been the distinguishing features named--then every one of us might well despair!

But every regenerate person has a humble heart. And if you, my reader, measuring yourself by what has been pointed out above, can discern such fruits and evidences of humility--then so far from its being presumptuous for you to look upon yourself as one saved and indwelt by God--it would be most wicked presumption for you to do otherwise.

Upvote 0

nChrist

Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟879,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Grace Gems!

Bring nothing but your sins and miseries

(Thomas Wilcox)

When you come to Christ--you must leave behind you:
all your own righteousness,
all your own holiness,
all your own sanctification,
all your own duties,
all your own tears,
all your own repentings, etc.
Oh, this is hard!

You must bring nothing but your sins and miseries to
Him. Otherwise, Christ is not fit for you--nor you for Christ!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

nChrist

Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟879,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Grace Gems!

A whole Christ must be received--with the whole heart

(Thomas Sherman, "Aids to the Divine Life--A Series of Practical Christian Contemplations" 1680)

"Yet to all who received Him . . . He gave the right to become children of God" John 1:12

A whole Christ must be received--with the whole heart.

Some in their understanding, assent to the way of salvation--yet do not consent to it with their will. In judgment they are for Christ--but in affection they are for other things. There is only a part of their soul that is for Christ. Others would have the benefits that are from Christ--but have no love for the person of Christ.

Some would have Christ only as a Savior--but not as a Lord. They desire Him only as a Priest to offer a sacrifice for their sins--but not as a Prophet to instruct them, nor as a King to rule over them. So that it is but part of Christ, that they would receive.

But both of these courses are equally dangerous; for, if we would be saved, we must cleave to Christ with all the faculties of the soul--with will, judgment, affection, etc. And so, again, we must cleave to the whole of Christ--Christ in His natures, person, offices, etc. If, therefore, you would rightly receive Christ, see that your whole soul receives a whole Christ.

Upvote 0

nChrist

Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟879,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Grace Gems!

Affliction prepared for and improved

(Thomas Sherman, "Aids to the Divine Life--A Series of Practical Christian Contemplations" 1680)

"It was good for me to be afflicted--so that I might learn your decrees." Psalm 119:71

As it is the duty of God's children to prepare for affliction before it comes; so it is also their duty to improve affliction when it does come.

If we do not prepare for affliction--we shall be surprised by it;
and, if we do not improve it--we are likely to increase it.

He who would prepare for affliction, must beforehand:
(1.) resign all to God,
(2.) strengthen his graces,
(3.) store up divine promises,
(4.) and search out secret sins.

And he who would improve affliction when it does come, must labor to see:
sin more and more in its filthiness--so as to mortify it;
his heart in its deceitfulness--so as to watch over it;
the world in its emptiness--so as to be crucified to it;
grace in its amiableness--so as to prize it;
God in His holiness--so as to revere Him; and
heaven in its desirableness--so as to long after it.

He who takes more care to avoid afflictions--than to be fitted for them; or is more solicitous to be delivered from them--than to be bettered by them; is likely to come soonest into them--and to live longest under them!

"God disciplines us for our good--that we may share in His holiness. No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it." Hebrews 12:10-11

Upvote 0

nChrist

Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟879,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Grace Gems!

If this is happiness--then give me misery!

(Thomas Sherman, "Divine Breathings; Or, a Pious Soul Thirsting after Christ")

"There was a rich man who was dressed in purple and fine linen, and lived in luxury every day." Luke 16:19

How apt are many at the sight of a rich worldling--to envy him for what he has. But, for my part, I rather pity him for what he lacks!
He has a talent--but it lacks improvement;
he has a lamp--but it lacks oil;
he has a soul--but it lacks grace;
he has the creature--but he lacks the Creator;
he has a mansion--but he lacks heaven.

In his life, he floats upon a torrent of vanity--which rolls along into an ocean of vexation!

And after death, it will be said of him, "Take this unprofitable servant, bind him hand and foot, and cast him into outer darkness! Consign his soul to the eternal lake of fire and brimstone!"

Where now is the object of your envy?

It is not his gold that can then rescue him,
nor his mansion that can then satisfy him,
nor his friends that can then comfort him.

Therefore, if he is worth the envying--then who can be worth the pitying?

If this is happiness--then give me misery!

Lord, rather make me poor with a holy heart--than rich with an evil heart of unbelief!

"Have pity on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue--because I am in agony in this fire!" Luke 16:24

"Then they will go away to eternal punishment--but the righteous to eternal life!" Matthew 25:46

Upvote 0

nChrist

Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟879,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Grace Gems!

Would Jesus do it?

"I have set you an example--that you should do as I have done for you." John 13:15

When anything presents itself, think: if He were alive and in my place--would Jesus do it? Or if I were about to die--would I still do it?

I must walk--as He has walked; and I must live--as I intend to die. If the thing in question is not Christ's will--it is my sin. And if I die in that sin--it will be my ruin.

I will therefore in every action so conduct myself--as if Christ were on the one hand--and death on the other!

"Leaving you an example, so that you should follow in His steps." 1 Peter 2:2

Upvote 0

nChrist

Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟879,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Grace Gems!

The Christian's choice

"Meaningless! Meaningless!" says the Teacher. "Utterly meaningless! Everything is meaningless!" Ecclesiastes 1:2

I am frail--and the world is fleeting; but
my soul is immortal--and God is eternal.

If I choose earthly pleasures--I shall reap nothing but vanity and dissatisfaction.

If I aim at mammon, the god of this world--then shall I resemble the rich fool, who, for earthly gain, sacrificed his immortal soul; and, in consequence, went to eternal perdition!

But if I choose God for my portion, then mercy and goodness shall follow me while I live--and glory and eternal pleasure shall crown me when I die!

I will therefore now forsake that which I shall soon lose,
so that I may embrace that which I shall always enjoy!

"You reveal the path of life to me; in Your presence is fullness of joy; at Your right hand are eternal pleasures!" Psalm 16:11

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

nChrist

Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟879,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Grace Gems!

O stand amazed at His free grace!

O precious saint! Three questions call for your answer:
1. What were you?
2. What are you?
3. What shall you be?

1. What were you?
Dead in your transgressions and sins,
a rebel to your God,
a prodigal to your Father,
a slave to your lust,
the devil's captive,
on the highway to hell.

2. What are you?
Redeemed by Christ,
a royal child of God,
the spouse of Christ,
the temple of the Holy Spirit,
the heir of a priceless eternal inheritance!

3. What shall you be?
A glorious saint,
a companion of angels,
a triumphant victor,
a crowned king,
an attendant on the Lamb,
a participant in those soul-ravishing and ineffable excellencies that are in God! You shall behold the King of Glory face to face--and enjoy immediate communion with Jesus Christ! Nay more, you are made one with Him:
clothed with His excellencies,
enthroned with His glories,
crowned with His eternity,
and filled with His felicity!

"No eye has seen,
no ear has heard, and
no mind has imagined . . .
what God has prepared for those who love Him!"
1 Corinthians 2:9

O stand amazed at His free grace--and render all the glory to God!

Upvote 0

nChrist

Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟879,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Grace Gems!

O think upon your dignity!

Christian! You are a child of God's love, an heir of His glory, and reckoned among His favorites! O think upon your dignity, and consider:

Will an Emperor live like a beggar?

Is it befitting for those who are clothed in scarlet--to wallow in the mire?

Am I born of God--and shall I live like a beast?

Has God raised my soul to the purest excellencies--and shall I stain my dignity with the world's filth?

May I feed upon Christ--and shall I feed upon empty vanities?

Shall I who am to judge the world--be a drudge to the world?

Has Christ prepared for me a mansion in the heavens--and shall I be groveling in earthly mire?

Am I a child of light--and shall I commit the works of darkness?

No! I am born to greater and higher things--than to be a slave to lust, and a drudge to the world!

Upvote 0

nChrist

Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟879,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Grace Gems!

Go, take your fill!

"In Your presence is fullness of joy; in Your right hand are eternal pleasures!" Psalm 16:11

Your happiness arises from that object on which your affections are placed. Where your treasure is--there will your heart be also. If your affections are placed upon a poor empty creature; or, if like Judas, your heart is so depraved, that you desire only the money-bag; or, like Reuben, you are content, for worldly convenience, to continue on this side Jordan--then remember that you are bartering eternal life for a mere fantasy, and deceiving yourself into irretrievable and endless ruin!

If you will be content with . . .
a breath of honor,
a blaze of pleasure,
a snare of riches, or
a parcel of vanity,
then go, take your fill! But know assuredly--that the end of these things is death!

When you shall draw your last breath,
when honor will appear only as air,
when your deathless soul shall be forever ensnared
--then you will greatly lament your past conduct,
and wish you had never been born!

But now, O true Christian, if you are risen with Christ from the dead, and are looking at unseen and eternal realities--then for you is prepared . . .
a golden crown,
a celestial harp,
a glorious mansion,
and eternal hallelujahs!
You shall enjoy the presence of God and the Lamb forever and ever! You shall gaze on the incomparable brightness of God, and forever contemplate the wonders of redemption!

Lord, if this is my happiness--then let others enjoy the things of this world! For my part, I am content to deny myself, and take up my cross and follow You!

Upvote 0

nChrist

Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟879,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Grace Gems!

A needed book

(J. R. Miller, "Counsel and Help" 1907)

"I have put my hope in Your Word."
Psalm 119:81

So long as there are . . .
tears and sorrows,
and broken hearts,
and crushed hopes,
and human failures,
and lives burdened and bowed down,
and spirits sad and despairing--
so long will the Bible be a needed book.
It is full of inspiration, light, help and strength for earth's weary ones.

"The law of the LORD is perfect--reviving the soul.
The statutes of the LORD are trustworthy--making wise the simple.
The precepts of the LORD are right--giving joy to the heart.
The commands of the LORD are radiant--giving light to the eyes.
The fear of the LORD is pure--enduring forever.
The ordinances of the LORD are sure and altogether righteous.
They are more desirable than gold--even the finest gold.
They are sweeter than honey--even honey dripping from the comb.
By them is Your servant warned; in keeping them there is great reward."
Psalm 19:7-11

Upvote 0

nChrist

Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟879,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Grace Gems!

Something peculiar, distinct, and different from other people

(J. C. Ryle, "Old Paths")

"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!" 2 Corinthians 5:17

Does anyone ask me what we may expect to see in a true conversion? I reply--there will always be something seen in a converted man's . . .
character,
feelings,
conduct,
opinions
and daily life.

You will not see perfection in him; but you will see in him--something peculiar, distinct, and different from other people.

You will see him . . .
hating sin,
loving Christ,
following after holiness,
taking pleasure in his Bible,
persevering in prayer.

You will see him . . .
penitent,
humble,
believing,
temperate,
charitable,
truthful,
good-tempered,
patient,
upright,
honorable,
kind.

These, at any rate, will be his aims--these are the things which he will follow after, however short he may come of perfection.

In some converted people you will see these things more distinctly--in others less. This only I say--wherever there is true conversion, something of this kind will be seen.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.