Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
FREE E-mail Subscription:
Grace Gems!

Common mercies!

"God has shown kindness by giving you rain from heaven and crops in their seasons; He provides you with plenty of food and fills your hearts with joy." Acts 14:17

We ofttimes forget that the common mercies of life are evidences of our Father's loving thought and care for His children. There is no such thing as 'chance' in this world. God sends the rains, orders the seasons, and brings the harvests. In enjoying the gifts--we should not forget the Giver. In accepting and using the blessings--we should not fail to see the Hand which brings them to us! (J.R. Miller)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"What shall I render unto the Lord for all His benefits to me?" Psalm 116:12

The Christian, as he journeys onwards in the pathway of life, ought frequently to look back, and review the way by which God has led him. If we would keep alive our gratitude--if we would have it to increase more and more, until, like a holy flame, it burns within us--we must often, in thought, retrace the varied turnings and windings of our earthly pilgrimage.

We are so prone, amid our daily duties and our interaction with the world, to forget and overlook the divine benefits received, that only by a careful and frequent retrospect, can we continue, from day to day, cherishing a spirit of true and ever-increasing thankfulness to God. But, the oftener we make the review, the greater cause will we have for saying, with David, "Who am I, O Lord God, and what is my father's house, that you have brought me hitherto?"

Christian! you cannot indeed reckon up all the benefits you have received from the hand of God--for they are as numerous as the stars of heaven or the drops of the mighty ocean! Your common mercies--alas! too lightly valued . . .
the air you breathe,
the return of the gladsome sunlight,
the succession of the seasons, and
the quiet and gentle stillness and repose of night
--all these, with their unnumbered host of attendant blessings, are scattered on your path! (John MacDuff)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Let us praise God for common mercies, for they prove to be uncommonly precious--when they are once taken away! (Charles Spurgeon)

Upvote 0

nChrist

AKA: Tom - Saved By Grace Through Faith
Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Grace Gems!

The sweet and quiet influence of your life!

(J.R. Miller, "Intimate Letters on Personal Problems" 1914)

"God did not call us to be impure, but to live a holy life." 1 Thessalonians 4:7

I know Christians who are not brilliant, who never do any great things--but whose lives are so true, so consistent, so Christlike, that wherever they go, they carry in their very presence a bit of heavenly sunshine.

Concerning one of these, a friend said a few years ago, standing by the coffin of the young woman who had been called home, "Wherever she went, flowers grew in her pathway, and the air was always sweeter when she entered the room." This is true of certain lives, even apart from what they do. Of course, it is the godly life and character, which makes the pleasant face, and which gives to the presence its strange power.

May God give you grace always to be a blessing wherever you go, not only in the things you do and the things you say--but still more in the sweet and quiet influence of your life.

"Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight!" 1 Peter 3:3-4

"Set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity." 1 Timothy 4:12

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Grace Gems!

The Giver--and the Taker!

(John MacDuff)

"The Lord gave--and the Lord has taken away! Blessed be the name of the Lord!" Job 1:21

Noble posture this--to kneel and to adore! To see no hand but ONE! Sabeans, Fire, Whirlwind, Sword--are all overlooked. The Patriarch alone recognizes that it is "the Lord" who gave, and "the Lord" who has taken away.

What is the cause of so much dejection, needless sorrow, and unchristian murmuring--in our hours of trial; and our inability to sincerely say, "May the will of the Lord be done!" It is a refusal to hear His voice; His own loving voice, mingling with the accents of the wildest storm: "It is I! Do not be afraid!"

"When disaster comes to a city--has not the Lord caused it?" Amos 3:6

Is there a bitter drop in your cup--and the Lord has not mingled it?

The Lord loves His people too well--to entrust their interest to any other. We are but clay in the hand of the Potter; earthen vessels in the hand of the Refiner of silver. He metes out our portion. He appoints the bounds of our habitation.

"The Lord God prepared the gourd! The Lord God prepared the worm!" He is the Author alike of mercies and sorrows; of comforts and crosses. He breathes into our nostrils the breath of life; and it is at His summons, that the spirit returns "to the God who gave it!"

Oh, that we would seek to regard our own lives and the lives of those dear to us--as a loan from the Divine Bestower. God, as the Great Proprietor, when He sees fit--can revoke the grant or curtail the lease He gave! All our mercies are . . .
bestowed by Him;
continued by Him;
withdrawn by Him!

And how often does He take away--that He Himself may enter the vacuum of the heart, and fill it with His own ineffable presence and love! No loss can compensate for the lack of Him--but He can compensate for all losses! Let us trust His love and faithfulness, as a "taking" as well as a "giving" God. May we trust His heart--when we cannot trace His hand!

Often are Sense and Sight tempted to say, "Not so, Lord!" But Faith, resting on His promise, can exult in this Rainbow spanning the darkest cloud, "Yes, Father, because this was Your good pleasure!"

"We know that God causes all things to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to His purpose." Romans 8:28

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Grace Gems!

The day of judgment is coming, burning like a furnace!

(James Smith, "Gleams of Grace" 1860)

"The Lord Almighty says: Behold! The day of judgment is coming, burning like a furnace! On that day the proud and the wicked will be burned up like stubble. They will be consumed--roots, branches, and all!" Malachi 4:1

1. THE TERRIBLE FACT. "Behold! The day of judgment is coming, burning like a furnace!"

The element of punishment is fire--the fiercest, most powerful, most penetrating, and most destructive of the elements!
Fire, and plenty of it, for it is a lake of fire!
Fire glowing with fierceness, fire strengthened, contracted, and fed, for it shall burn as a furnace!
This will be more dreadful than Nebuchadnezzar's burning fiery furnace--more than the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah. It will be so terrible that . . .
no words can set it forth,
no imagery can represent it,
no mind can conceive it!

The punishment will be irresistible. It is devouring fire. There will be no standing against it. As when the prairie is on fire, and floods of flame come sweeping along--there is no resisting, no escaping it. In the same way, none can resist, or escape from the devouring fire with which the day of judgment shall be ushered in.

The punishment will be eternal.
It is everlasting burnings.
It is unquenchable fire.
It will feed on sinners--but never consume them.
It will punish--but never annihilate them.
It will begin--but never end.
It is forever!
FOREVER! FOREVER!!!
Everlasting punishment!
Eternal fire!

Yet the punishment is just. No one will suffer more than he deserves. Every sufferer's conscience will be satisfied that his punishment is his just due. No one will be able to charge God with cruelty or injustice; for God will have a witness in every man's bosom, that He is doing right. Every sufferer will be silenced with the conviction that he is only receiving the just reward of his deeds.

2. THE CHARACTERS DOOMED. "On that day the proud and the wicked will be burned up like stubble!"

"The proud." Proud professors--and proud worldlings. All who unduly value themselves, and despise others. All, who are too proud to submit to the righteousness of God, or to bow to be saved in the same way, by the same grace, as the thief on the cross, or the immoral woman. All who in the pride of their hearts reject the gospel, put away the invitations of the Savior, and refuse to be reconciled to God. All who despise the poor saints, on account of their poverty; or any of the Lord's little ones, on account of their infirmities. The proud always . . .
exalt man,
insult God,
yield to Satan, and
grieve the Holy Spirit.
God resists the proud--but gives grace to the humble.

A proud sinner cannot be saved. Pride is the root--and wickedness is the fruit. The proud are always wicked, and therefore the proud, even all who do wickedness, are doomed to suffer the vengeance of eternal fire!

"The wicked." That is,
all who will not observe God's law, to walk by it,
all who will not embrace Christ's gospel, to be saved by it,
all who will not fly to the refuge, provided for the guilty.

3. THE DOOM. "They will be burned up like stubble!" They shall be as stubble dried by the eastern sun, on which the flame seizes, feeds, and strengthens.
They shall be fuel for everlasting burnings!
They shall be utterly consumed with terrors!

Their destruction shall be complete. "They will be consumed--roots, branches, and all!" It shall leave them no ROOT--no hope remaining. While there is a root, there is hope--but when the root is gone, there is no hope.

It shall leave them no BRANCH--there shall be no beauty left. All will be gloom, misery, and woe!

This is certain, for God Himself speaks. He speaks as the God of war, "Behold! The Lord Almighty says!" Here is . . .
majesty--but not mercy;
power--but not pity;
judgment--but not compassion!

How fearsome is divine majesty, stripped of mercy!
How dreadful is omnipotence, when there is no pity!
How direful is judgment, when there is no compassion!

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Grace Gems!

Is Christ your Lord?

"Keep me safe, O God, for in You I take refuge.
You are my Lord; apart from You I have no good thing."
Psalm 16:1-2

"You are my Lord," that is, the ruler of my life.
Your will is my law.
Your precepts are my directory.
Your commandments are my guide.
I look to You alone for strength in every time of need.
I walk by Your word, with a view to please You.
I take You to be my Alpha and Omega, my first and last, my all in all!
I renounce all other objects of worship. "O Lord, our God, other lords besides You have ruled over us, but Your name alone do we honor!" Isaiah 26:13

"You are my Lord!" therefore I expect You to keep me, provide for me, shelter me, guard me, and defend me . . .
in every time of trouble,
in every season of affliction,
in every circumstances of danger,
when in pain and suffering,
when in want and woe!
I have turned from others, and turned to You, crying, "You are my Lord!"

Is Christ your Lord? Then own him everywhere. In every place. In all companies. Go no where, join no society, where you cannot own, and acknowledge God to be your Lord.

Is Christ your Lord? Then obey all that He commands you. Ask for no reason, listen to no excuse--but whatever He says to you, do it! His commands test the sincerity of your love. Will you live, denying the flesh, going contrary to general custom, simply because the Lord bids you?

Is Christ your Lord? Then always live as in His presence.
You are ever with Him.
His eye is always upon you.
He bids you walk before Him.
Think, knowing that He reads all your thoughts.
Speak, realizing that He hears all your words.
Act, feeling that He observes all that you do!

Is Christ your Lord? Then consecrate your person, time, and talents to His service.
Do this practically.
Do it constantly.
Do it sincerely.
Do it so that everyone who lives with you, or carefully observes you, can sincerely say, "He is the Lord's!"

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Grace Gems!

There is no darker sin than ingratitude!

(Alexander Smellie, "The Hour of Silence" 1899)

"Jesus asked: Were not all ten cleansed? Where are the other nine?" Luke 17:17

Only one leper returned to give God thanks--nine continued on their way unmindful, ungrateful. And why was that?

Perhaps they knew the danger of committing themselves to Jesus, knew that He was narrowly watched and suspected, knew that even to receive a cure from Him was in itself an offence to many. My Lord, I seek grace not to be so cowardly!

Perhaps they were afraid that now the Master would have a claim upon them and would begin to press the claim. He who had given them their health, might demand their loyalty; and they were not ready to yield it. My Lord, I would be more consecrated than they!

Perhaps they were seized with the wish to mix with the world, to go back to its affairs, to play their part in its business. They were impatient of delays which detained them from the promotion of their own interests. My Lord, I would learn to hate such selfishness!

Perhaps they thought that they had only got what was their due. They thought that the loathsome disease was an injustice and a grievance, and health was their right--and they need not be profoundly grateful. Ah my Lord, teach me to watch against this self-conceit and pride!

Perhaps they told themselves that their Benefactor was no longer necessary to them. The pressure of urgent need was past, and its disappearance makes a vast difference. My lord, let me never forget Your untold benefits.

There is no darker sin than ingratitude! I entreat You Lord Jesus, to save me from it.

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Grace Gems!

How slowly we learn it!

(J.R. Miller)

"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you--so you must love one another." John 13:34-35

How did Christ love His disciples? How did He demonstrate His love to them? Was it not, among other ways . . .
in His wonderful patience with them--with their faults, their ignorance, their unfaithfulness;
in His considerate kindness;
in His ever-watchful thoughtfulness;
in His compassionate gentleness;
in His ministering to them in every possible way?

What is it, then, to love one another, as He loves us? Is it not to take His example for our pattern? But how slowly we learn it! How hard it is to be gentle, patient, kind, and thoughtful to one another! Still, the lesson stands and waits for us, and we must never falter in learning it.

"Finally, all of you, live in harmony with one another; be sympathetic, love as brothers, be compassionate and humble." 1 Peter 3:8

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Grace Gems!

As though it had never been!

(Octavius Winslow)

"I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us!" Romans 8:18

Beloved, soon, O how soon! all that now loads the heart with care, and wrings it with sorrow--all that dims the eye with tears, and renders the day anxious and the night sleepless--will be as though it had never been!

Emerging from the entanglement, the dreariness, the solitude, the loneliness, and the temptations of the wilderness--you shall enter upon your everlasting rest, your unfading inheritance, where there is . . .
no sorrow,
no sin,
no suffering,
no crying,
no evening shadows,
no midnight darkness!
But all is one perfect, cloudless, eternal day--for Jesus is the joy, the light, and the glory thereof!

"And so we will be with the Lord forever!" 1 Thessalonians 4:17

"He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away!" Revelation 21:4

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Grace Gems!

A torch to light people to Hell!

(Thomas Watson)

"You say you have faith, for you believe that there is one God. Good for you! Even the demons believe this, and they tremble in terror!" James 2:19

Bible knowledge without repentance, will be but a torch to light people to Hell!

You who have knowledge of God's will, but do not obey it--wherein do you excel the demons, who believe and tremble?

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Grace Gems!

Call Him 'Father' in the furnace

(Thomas Sherman, "Aids to the Divine Life--A Series of Practical Christian Contemplations" 1680)

"Our fathers disciplined us for a little while as they thought best; but God disciplines us for our good--that we may share in His holiness. No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it." Hebrews 12:10-11

The afflictions of the wicked are punishments from God--as an angry Judge!
But the afflictions of the godly are chastisements from God--as a gracious Father!

The afflictions of the wicked, moreover, are preludes to their future misery!
But the corrections of the godly, are preparations for their future glory!

"See, I have refined you, though not as silver; I have tested you in the furnace of affliction." Isaiah 48:10. Under all afflictive dispensations, therefore, hold fast upon God; call Him 'Father' in the furnace!

Keep up honorable thoughts of God as to His dealings;
and low thoughts of yourself as to your deservings.

"All the paths of the Lord (in reference to His people) are mercy and truth," Psalm 25:10. In our affliction, God in mercy is fulfilling some of His faithful promises for our good. He will not allow His children to go on in the way of sin, without seasonable rebukes to bring them again to Himself. If you would, therefore, discern the goodness of God in your affliction, consider wherein you stand in need of it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Grace Gems!

The work of our great high priest at present

"Therefore He is able to save completely those who come to God through him, because He always lives to intercede for them! Such a high priest meets our need--one who is holy, blameless, pure, set apart from sinners, exalted above the heavens!" Hebrews 7:25-26

As believers, we should look upon our great high priest, as having . . .
put away our sins from before God,
reconciled our persons to God,
justified us fully and freely at the tribunal of God,
procured for us all spiritual and eternal blessings.

The work of our great high priest at present, is to render our persons, prayers, and services acceptable to God. Every prayer which ascends from us to God, passes through His hands--who cleanses, arranges, and perfumes it, and then presents it to his Father. Thus He renders our poor imperfect prayers, praises, and services--acceptable and pleasant to our God and Father.

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Grace Gems!

The song of the glorified has three notes in it!

(Alexander Smellie, "The Hour of Silence" 1899)

"And they sang a new song: You are worthy to take the scroll and to open its seals, because You were slain, and with Your blood You purchased men for God from every tribe and language and people and nation! You have made us kings and priests to our God; and we shall reign on the earth!" Revelation 5:9-10

The song of the glorified has three notes in it:

1. There is the note of Redemption. You purchased me with Your blood. Jesus ransomed me--the slave of sin, of frailty and futility, of dark despair! And not by a mere act of sovereignty and might. No--but by breaking the alabaster vase of His unblemished body for me, and by pouring forth the costly ointment of His blood. It will be the theme of my praise through the unending years of eternity!

2. There is the note of Royalty. "You have made us kings!" O wondrous thought to quicken the torpid pulses of my soul! I will sit down with Him on His own throne, and He will share His great empire with me!

3. There is the note of Consecration. "You have made us priests!" I am, through Jesus Christ my Lord, a white-robed, white-souled worshiper, thanking and adoring God, offering to Him the incense of prayer, presenting to Him continually the sacrifice of my praise, lifting up holy hands in ceaseless intercession!

Jesus has done it all! "Worthy is the Lamb, who was slain, to receive power and wealth and wisdom and strength and honor and glory and praise!" Revelation 5:12

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Grace Gems!

The choicest, sweetest, wisest, and strongest Christian!

(Thomas Brooks)

Remember that it is not hasty reading--but serious meditation on holy and heavenly truths, which makes them prove sweet and profitable to the soul.

It is not the mere touching of the flower by the bee which gathers honey--but her abiding for a time on the flower which draws out the sweet.

It is not he who reads most, but he who meditates most--who will prove to be the choicest, sweetest, wisest, and strongest Christian!

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Grace Gems!

Our Condition--God's Mercy!

Many of the Psalms are poetic records of God's mercy towards His ancient people, calling upon them to bless and praise His most glorious name. Israel's history forms a mirror in which we see our own spiritual history. Oh for grace, so to read it, meditate upon it, and exercise faith in it--as to permanently profit by it. My eye is now fixed upon one important verse, a record of God's goodness to them, and equally so of His kindness to us, "Give thanks to the One who remembered us in our low estate; for His mercy endures forever!" Psalm 136:23

OUR CONDITION. LOW. We were not created so--but were brought into it by Adam's sin, who . . .
represented us,
ruined us, and
laid us low!
Our own conduct sunk us lower still!
We are now, by nature, so low, that we cannot be lower!
We are now so vile, so weak, that we could not be worse!

Look at man in reference to God--he is God's determined foe!

Look at man as under the Law--he is condemned, condemned to everlasting burnings!

Look at man in the world--he is its dupe--victimized by its fashions, customs and spirit.

Look at man in connection with Satan--he is Satan's vassal, Satan's abject slave--inhabited and influenced by Satan. Not only so, but he is led captive by Satan to do his will!

Look at man--in association with his fellow men--see his craft, cruelty, and covetousness!

Look at man ruling the brute creation--what lack of feeling, care and kindness! Often, man seems to be sunk even lower than they!

GOD'S MERCY. This was . . .
freely fixed upon us,
is very great towards us,
and will always distinguish us.
He remembered us--and sent His Son to redeem us!
He remembered us--and sent His Spirit to quicken us!
He remembered us--and sent His Word to instruct us!
He remembered us--and sent His ordinances to comfort us!
He remembered us--and sent His grace to sanctify us!
He remembered us--and sent His rod to correct us!

He remembered . . .
our guilt--and provided an atonement,
our weakness--and provided strength,
our danger--and provided a refuge,
our destitute state--and provided for us a home in Heaven.

"The One who remembered us." It was not the exercise of God's memory merely--but the exercise of His memory influenced by immortal love. It was . . .
a father, remembering his child,
a bridegroom, remembering his bride,
a God, remembering His poor fallen creatures, who were the objects of His love, and whom He had determined to save! Blessed, forever blessed be the Lord, for remembering us in our low estate, for His mercy endures forever!

Mercy is man's best friend. It is that in God which . . .
looks upon us with pity,
feels for us with sympathy, and
exerts itself for our relief and deliverance.

Divine mercy was personified in Jesus, and wept over us, stretched out its hand to help us, and shed its blood to save us. Mercy never thinks that it can stoop too low to reach us, or do too much to help us, or that anything is too good or too great to confer upon us.

Mercy is God's darling attribute. He delights in mercy--but it is never said that He delights in wrath, in judgment, or even in power--but He delights in mercy. He delights to display it to His chosen people.

God is said to be . . .
of great mercy,
plenteous in mercy,
abundant in mercy.

His mercy is said to be . . .
great unto the heavens,
multitudinous and tender, and
from everlasting to everlasting!

God's mercy should be our heart's theme. We should think of it, speak of it, and sing of it.

We should set God's mercy against . . .
our sin,
our misery,
our deservings.

We should rejoice in its freeness, fullness, and immutability. Let us think more of God's mercy than of . . .
our trials,
our troubles,
or our foes.

God's mercy will . . .
follow us,
comfort us,
and crown us!

God's mercy . . .
began with us of its own accord,
came to us unsought and unsolicited,
raised us from our low estate,
has heaped favors upon us,
will not leave us now--but will follow us all the days of our life,
will comfort us . . .
in all our tribulations,
against all our sorrows, and
make us a match for all our troubles!

God's mercy will crown us at last!
Mercy will accompany us to the dark valley, and through it.
Mercy will conduct us to the Jordan, and over it.
Mercy will lead us up into the holy city that has foundations, whose builder and maker is God.
Mercy will place a crown of pure gold, or of sparkling glory, upon our heads, that we may wear it to its honor forever and ever!

O beloved, how will God's mercy look, when we contemplate it in the light of glory--when from the holy city we look back upon the past, and lift up our voices and sing, "To the One who remembered us in our low estate; for His mercy endures forever!"

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Grace Gems!

Living stones!

Peter having spoken of Christ as a living, precious stone, adds, "You also as living stones, are built up a spiritual house, a holy priesthood to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ." 1 Peter 2:5

WHAT ARE BELIEVERS? "Stones," for every Christian has that in him which is solid, durable, and ornamental.

The grace of God gives a man solidity--he cannot be as light, trifling, and vain as he used to be. He has solid and settled thoughts upon high and holy subjects; he has solid hopes and joys. He is not carried about with every wind of doctrine--but becomes established and settled in the faith.

He is durable too. Others fall away--but he endures to the end. Once fixed on the foundation, once really united to Christ, he remains built on Christ forever.

He is ornamental too. Some stones are capable of taking a very high polish, and so is the Christian. The polished stones in God's temple will catch the rays of His glory and reflect them; and in every stone, the great Builder will see His own lovely likeness reflected.

They are living stones. They are living, each one being quickened by divine grace, and made new creatures. They are lively, made so by divine communications, and kept so by fellowship with Jesus, the life-giving stone.

These living stones are not thrown together in confusion--but each one is fitted for his place before he is put into it. Every separate stone is laid on the foundation, which bears the entire weighs of the whole building. All the stones are united to the foundation, by a cement so strong, that nothing can ever separate them. The Holy Spirit acts as the cement in this spiritual building. He . . .
brings us to Christ,
lays us on Christ,
unites us to Christ, and
keeps us in eternal union with Christ!

These living stones are a holy priesthood.
Being stripped of their natural and carnal coverings,
being washed in the laver of regeneration,
being clothed with the garments of salvation,
and covered with the robe of righteousness,
and being consecrated by the application of the blood of atonement, and the holy anointing oil, the unction from the Holy One--they are prepared and qualified to officiate in this living temple.

These living stones are to offer up spiritual sacrifices. This they are to do continually, the sacrifices of prayer and praise, which like holy incense, ascends as a precious perfume to God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Grace Gems!

John Wesley's rule for Christian living:
Do all the good you can,
by all the means you can,
in all the ways you can,
in all the places you can,
at all the times you can,
to all the people you can,
as long as ever you can!

Upvote 0

*Charis*

*Psalm 36:9*
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
✟33,182.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Constitution
Grace Gems!

Living stones!

Peter having spoken of Christ as a living, precious stone, adds, "You also as living stones, are built up a spiritual house, a holy priesthood to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ." 1 Peter 2:5

WHAT ARE BELIEVERS? "Stones," for every Christian has that in him which is solid, durable, and ornamental.

The grace of God gives a man solidity--he cannot be as light, trifling, and vain as he used to be. He has solid and settled thoughts upon high and holy subjects; he has solid hopes and joys. He is not carried about with every wind of doctrine--but becomes established and settled in the faith.

He is durable too. Others fall away--but he endures to the end. Once fixed on the foundation, once really united to Christ, he remains built on Christ forever.

He is ornamental too. Some stones are capable of taking a very high polish, and so is the Christian. The polished stones in God's temple will catch the rays of His glory and reflect them; and in every stone, the great Builder will see His own lovely likeness reflected.

They are living stones. They are living, each one being quickened by divine grace, and made new creatures. They are lively, made so by divine communications, and kept so by fellowship with Jesus, the life-giving stone.

These living stones are not thrown together in confusion--but each one is fitted for his place before he is put into it. Every separate stone is laid on the foundation, which bears the entire weighs of the whole building. All the stones are united to the foundation, by a cement so strong, that nothing can ever separate them. The Holy Spirit acts as the cement in this spiritual building. He . . .
brings us to Christ,
lays us on Christ,
unites us to Christ, and
keeps us in eternal union with Christ!

These living stones are a holy priesthood.
Being stripped of their natural and carnal coverings,
being washed in the laver of regeneration,
being clothed with the garments of salvation,
and covered with the robe of righteousness,
and being consecrated by the application of the blood of atonement, and the holy anointing oil, the unction from the Holy One--they are prepared and qualified to officiate in this living temple.

These living stones are to offer up spiritual sacrifices. This they are to do continually, the sacrifices of prayer and praise, which like holy incense, ascends as a precious perfume to God.
So blessed by this truth...

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Grace Gems!

The hand of Jesus!

The miracles of Jesus are as marvelous displays of mercy, as they are of power. They show His sympathy with man in his sufferings, and His readiness to help him.

On one occasion a ruler came to Him for help, knelt before Jesus and said, "My daughter has just died. But come and lay Your hand on her, and she will live." Matthew 9:18

THE CONDITION. The child was DEAD. Disease did its work, death seized its prey before Jesus reached the house. In the same way, how many we have in our homes, congregations, and neighborhoods who are spiritually dead. There are no signs of life at all. They can live without prayer, which is the breath of the soul; and surely where there is no breath, there is no life. They have no faith, and faith is the spiritual energy of the soul. They have no activity in God's ways, they put forth no energy in God's cause, nor do they manifest any concern for God's glory. Surely such are dead, and in such cases there is no hope, except Jesus will come and lay His hand upon them.

THE APPLICATION. "My daughter has just died. But come and lay Your hand on her, and she will live." The hand of Jesus was a wonder-working hand! It was the instrument and emblem of almighty power and divine mercy. Many things are ascribed to the hand of Jesus in the Word.

It is a life-quickening hand, "He went in and took her by the hand, and the girl arose." His touch imparted life, strength, and activity to the dead girl.

It is a healing hand, "He laid His hands on the sick, and healed them." His hand expels spiritual diseases, and introduces spiritual health.

It is a saving hand, when Peter was sinking in the sea, Jesus put forth His hand and caught him, and placed him safely in the vessel. He saved Israel of old with His right hand--and His hand saves millions now!

It is a devil-dispossessing hand. When a father brought his demon-possessed boy to Jesus, the devil threw him down and tore him, "but Jesus took him by the hand, and lifted him up, and he arose." The hand of Jesus expelled the demon, restored him to health, and he went away with his father.

It is a leading hand. He took the blind man by the hand, led him out of the town, and restored his sight.

It is a far-reaching hand, hence He says, "Is My hand so short that it cannot ransom? Or have I no power to deliver?" "Behold, the Lord's hand is not so short that it cannot save!"

It is a purifying hand, therefore He says, "I will turn My hand against you; I will thoroughly purge away your dross and remove all your impurities." "His winnowing fan is in His hand, and He will thoroughly purge His floor."

If therefore we need . . .
quickening or healing,
saving or leading,
deliverance from Satan, or
to be purged and purified--
however distant we may seem from Him, or however difficult the work we require to be done--let us go to Jesus, and ask Him to lay His hand upon us, and restore us. In the same way, if any of our families and friends are spiritually dead, let our cry to Jesus be, "Come and lay Your hand on her, and she will live!"

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Grace Gems!

What amusements are lawful to people who wish to live a holy life?

(R.W. Dale, "AMUSEMENTS" 1895)

What amusements are lawful to people who wish to live a holy life--is one of the questions by which many godly people are sorely perplexed. Many yield to the current customs of the times--but yield with hesitation, discomfort, and apprehension.

At first sight, some of the distinctions which have been drawn between amusements which are permitted, and amusements which are forbidden, appear to be altogether arbitrary. They seem to originate in no moral or spiritual principle. Why should card-playing stamp a man as "worldly" and chess be perfectly consistent with devoutness? Why should people take their children to a circus--who would be horrified at their going to a theater? The things allowed are so like the things forbidden, that the distinction which has been drawn between them will probably be pronounced by many people to be altogether irrational.

Many of the broad moral distinctions which evangelical Christians make between amusements which are very much alike, receive an easy explanation when we consider the very different accessories with which, either in our own days or in former days, they have been associated. There can be no more harm in playing with pieces of colored cardboard, than with pieces of carved ivory; but cards have been always associated with gambling, and chess has not.

The traditions of what is allowable, and what is forbidden, which have come down to us are explicable; and if we are people of sense, we shall ask whether the same circumstances which made certain amusements objectionable a hundred years ago, or fifty years ago--make them objectionable now.

Profanity, impurity, and cruelty are always evil--whether connected with our amusements or with the common business and habits of life. Whatever tends to these things is evil too. If any recreation, however pleasant, involves a clear breach of moral laws--then it must be bad for all men and under all circumstances. Or if, though harmless in itself, immorality has become inseparably connected with it, every good man will avoid and condemn that particular amusement.

Prize-fighting, [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]-fighting, and bull-baiting are plainly barbaric sports. It is utterly disgusting that men should be able to find any pleasure in them; and the right feeling of English society has made them all utterly disreputable.

But there are amusements which cannot be called immoral either in themselves or their accessories, about which a good man will have serious doubts.

The object of all recreation is to increase our capacity for work, to keep the bodily health strong, and the brain bright, and the temper kindly and sweet. If any recreation exhausts our strength instead of restoring it, or so absorbs our time as to interfere with the graver duties of life--then it must be condemned. Amusements are objectionable which interfere with regular and orderly habits of life, and which, instead of increasing health and vigor, produce weariness and exhaustion.

The common reason alleged for condemning certain amusements in which no moral evil can be shown to exist, is that they are "worldly." But there is no word in our language which is more abused than this. The sin of worldliness is a very grave one; but thousands and tens of thousands of people are guilty of it, who are most vigorous in maintaining the narrowest moral standards. One would imagine, from the habits of speech common in some sections of religious society, that worldliness has to do only with our pleasures, while in truth it has to do with the whole spirit and temper of our life.

To be "worldly" is to permit our transcendent relation to Jesus our Lord--to be overborne by inferior interests. There is a worldliness of the counting-house as fatal to the true health and energy of the soul--as the worldliness of the ball-room; and there are more people whose loyalty to Christ is ruined by covetousness--than by love of pleasure.

There is a worldliness in the conduct of ecclesiastical affairs, quite as likely to extinguish the divine fire which should burn in the church--as the worldliness which reveals itself in the frivolity of those unhappy people whose existence is spent in one ceaseless round of gaiety.

Let no man think that he ceases to be worldly--ceases, that is, to belong to that darker and inferior region of life from which Christ came to deliver us--merely by abstaining from half a dozen of his old recreations. Not thus easily, is the great victory won which is possible only to a vigorous and invincible faith. Not thus artificial, are the boundaries between the heavenly commonwealth of which the Christian man is a citizen--and the kingdom of evil from which he has escaped.

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Grace Gems!

There is no 'chance' in God's world

"God is not a man, that He should lie, nor a son of man, that He should change His mind. Does He speak--and then not act? Does He promise--and not fulfill?" Numbers 23:19

"Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will never pass away!" Matthew 24:35

Believer, are you tried, perplexed, and troubled? God is faithful to His Word, for He has said, "Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows."

Have you to pass out of one trouble into another, and is one trial but introductory to another? God is faithful, for He has said, "We must suffer many hardships to enter the Kingdom of God."

Are your trials of a fiery, consuming, and parching character? It but confirms His word, for He has said, "I will bring them through the fire and make them pure. I will refine them like silver and purify them like gold."

Every trial you meet with,
every trouble you pass through, and
all the temptations you experience--
but serve to confirm the truth of God's Word; and if rightly viewed, and properly improved, would strengthen your faith.

There is no 'chance' in God's world.
There is no mistake in God's dealings.
There is nothing really severe in God's dispensations.
All has been arranged by infinite wisdom,
all is brought to pass by a special providence, and
all is, at the darkest moment, working together for your eternal good!

Let us then mind His "Fear nots."
Let us confide in His unalterable promises.
Let us rely on His immutable faithfulness.

He set His love upon His people freely at the beginning, and having loved them, He will love them to the end. To every one of His chosen and redeemed people, He gives everlasting life, and assures them that they shall never perish. The love that made them His, will keep them His, and keep them His forever.

Cheer up then, poor tempted tried believer, God is faithful to His Word, and He will not fail you, nor forsake you--but will make all things work together for your good, and glorify Himself in you.

Upvote 0