Got a word from the Lord that didn't (yet?) come true.

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
No, the Bible gives instructions and examples of prophecies, which gift is very helpful in our everyday life, and church life.

I didn't say the Bible doesn't give examples of prophecies. I said modern-day prophecy is unnecessary and redundant in light of the special revelation of the Bible.

Prophecy is also revelation on the right interpretation of Scripture from the Author Himself. I've learned more from one on ones with God, than I ever did in church.

Yes, well, I hesitate to ask what this looks like, exactly. I hope you use a Bible dictionary, a few trusted commentaries, maybe an interlinear Bible. I also hope you apply good hermeneutics to your study of God's word.

Upvote 0

CharismaticLady

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2019
Tennessee
✟140,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Don't know what?

And how do you know these aren't merely your own thoughts, your own inner voice? I know schizophrenics who hear very powerful, penetrating voices. How is what you describe different from what they hear?

And this means God is talking because...?

Yes, I do the same with the words He's given to me in Scripture. And I don't need any voice in my head to do so - just the voice of God in the pages of my Bible.

I'll just have to take your word for it that this is so...

Yes, this happens for me, too. But this wasn't my point.

All I'm going to respond to this hate, is I like your new Avatar! :)

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟832,904.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Thanks Oscarr. I never accepted it, but was more hurt than anything else and feeling rejected and misunderstood. On another occasion, Stormie was with her friend when she approached me about her husband. That is how I know that woman was jealous, but I never put two and two together until tonight when God gave me that revelation! I didn't want to hurt the woman so I didn't tell her that I thought her husband wore the skirts in their family, and would never in a million years be my type!

I know a bit about curses, and even Paul did them. That is why we must watch our words. I also know that the only time they stick is if the curse is deserved. I know this the hard way. I helped a friend who was always making very bad financial decisions when she lost her apartment, and I told her and her son to come stay with me for a while. After I lost my home and my job because of her, and she never recognized or acknowledged any liability and she and I became estranged, I went to counseling at church because I was angry with her, and with God too because I was doing a good deed. During the session I just blurted out, "I just wish she would lose everything and see how it feels." Immediately she started losing everything. She couldn't find another job and her new baby she had from a one night stand living at my home (another story) got sick. I hadn't talked to her for a long time, but one day God spoke to me and told me I had put a curse on her. I didn't even realize Christians could do that. Anyway, I called her and told her what God said, and what I had said in a counseling session. She was angry at that, but then I told her I wanted to come to her place and verbally take the curse off and place a blessing upon her. She agreed, and afterwards, she immediately found a job after 9 months, and her child got well.

This woman never made better decisions and one day I saw a vision. It was of me and her on a cliff with a forest in the background. The vantage point was looking at the cliff with the sea below. She was standing a few inches from the edge and I was standing about 10 feet away from the edge. God spoke in the vision and said, "You cannot prevent her from falling." Then she fell and grabbed onto a small tree growing out of the side of the cliff. Then God spoke again and said, "You cannot throw her a rope." A few years later I was with her at a church meeting where a visiting prophet spoke and called her on stage. He told her God said, "No more bandaids." He didn't know her from Adam, but he was so accurate. I know you don't believe in these things, but I live with the supernatural of God all the time. I hope you find a good full gospel church in your new area.
There is no instruction manual for the use of prophecy and the word of knowledge. Sometimes someone can say something which they might not think is prophetic, yet for the person receiving it, can be a real word of God for them. The test is whether it strengthens a person's faith in Christ or not. If it strengthens a person's faith in Christ, then it can be accepted.

The type of prophecies and words of knowledge that I consider false are those that build up the person receiving them and makes them out to be someone special. This leads to faith and dependence on self instead of Christ. A prophecy that says that a person will be prosperous, famous, or receive guaranteed hearing, could include a spirit of divination that could attack and cause serious spiritual harm to the person.

Genuine prophecy is edifying, comforting, and exhorting, and it points the person away from self to Christ. It is the same with a word of knowledge - it shows that Jesus knows the person's circumstances and that the person can have total confidence in Him no matter what happens.

A word of knowledge that reveals sin, embarrasses, confuses or depresses people is false, because the Holy Spirit never works that way. When the Holy Spirit is involved in the prophetic, love, joy, peacefulness, is generated, and prophecies and words are given with gentleness, kindness and self control. Because patience is always involved, a word will never require immediate obedience but will include encouragement to wait on God for Him to show the way. A good prophecy or word will inspire faith, and promote goodness. We can see that these are the fruit of the Spirit, and these are the evidence that the Holy Spirit is involved and not a contrary spirit.

This is what I mean when I say that a prophecy, word of knowledge, or anything that is supernatural has to comply with Scripture. If it shows the fruit of the Spirit in it and points the person to Christ, then one can happily accept it.

Upvote 0

CharismaticLady

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2019
Tennessee
✟140,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
There is no instruction manual for the use of prophecy and the word of knowledge. Sometimes someone can say something which they might not think is prophetic, yet for the person receiving it, can be a real word of God for them. The test is whether it strengthens a person's faith in Christ or not. If it strengthens a person's faith in Christ, then it can be accepted.

The type of prophecies and words of knowledge that I consider false are those that build up the person receiving them and makes them out to be someone special. This leads to faith and dependence on self instead of Christ. A prophecy that says that a person will be prosperous, famous, or receive guaranteed hearing, could include a spirit of divination that could attack and cause serious spiritual harm to the person.

Genuine prophecy is edifying, comforting, and exhorting, and it points the person away from self to Christ. It is the same with a word of knowledge - it shows that Jesus knows the person's circumstances and that the person can have total confidence in Him no matter what happens.

A word of knowledge that reveals sin, embarrasses, confuses or depresses people is false, because the Holy Spirit never works that way. When the Holy Spirit is involved in the prophetic, love, joy, peacefulness, is generated, and prophecies and words are given with gentleness, kindness and self control. Because patience is always involved, a word will never require immediate obedience but will include encouragement to wait on God for Him to show the way. A good prophecy or word will inspire faith, and promote goodness. We can see that these are the fruit of the Spirit, and these are the evidence that the Holy Spirit is involved and not a contrary spirit.

This is what I mean when I say that a prophecy, word of knowledge, or anything that is supernatural has to comply with Scripture. If it shows the fruit of the Spirit in it and points the person to Christ, then one can happily accept it.

That being said, I don't know you believe anything I told you is from God or the devil.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟832,904.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Don't know what?
And how do you know these aren't merely your own thoughts, your own inner voice? I know schizophrenics who hear very powerful, penetrating voices. How is what you describe different from what they hear?
I'm quite certain that God does speak to our hearts. It is like the thoughts in our minds, but it has a quality that sets it apart. It is not a "voice" as such, but an impression in our spirit - because the Holy Spirit is a spirit and communicates with us spirit to spirit. What happens is that we interpret what has been received in our spirit with our mind. It is like, "The Holy Spirit is saying something to me, and I think it is...etc." But in order to know whether it is the voice of the Holy Spirit or our own thoughts, we need to be totally familiar with the written Word, and be people of prayer.

The Holy Spirit told me one, "If I hear your voice in prayer a lot, then you will hear My voice to you." I find that He mostly speaks to me by directing me to a verse of Scripture that I have never memorised. I never memorise Scripture, but because I have read the Bible through quite a number of times, the Holy Spirit is able to put a verse of Scripture into my mind that confirms what I am discussing with Him. Sometimes a verse will pop up that I haven't thought about for 20 years, but it is a total confirmation of an issue that I have been questioning God about.

I tend to have extended discussions with God about issues and questions, and while I am actually discussing them, new thoughts will come to mind that answer my questions! I see this as the Holy Spirit joining in the discussion, making it a two-way discussion where I end up having my questions answered.

Yes, I do the same with the words He's given to me in Scripture. And I don't need any voice in my head to do so - just the voice of God in the pages of my Bible.
Yes. I find that the Holy Spirit speaks to my heart while I am reading passages of the Bible. Not long ago, I decided to read the Bible right through from start to finish. It took me three weeks. Noting that I have read and studied the Bible for 50 years, I found things there that I had never seen in that way before, as if the Holy Spirit was giving me totally new insight into passages that I thought I already knew.

When I am wanting answers from God about any issue, I don't wait for a voice, word of knowledge, vision or a prophecy. I have a discussion with God about it, put my case, and then use my own judgment to find the way forward. I find that if He wants to guide me in a different direction, He gives me Scriptures that adjust my direction as if to say, "This is the way I want you to go."

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟832,904.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
That being said, I don't know you believe anything I told you is from God or the devil.
The difference between Old Testament style prophecy, which ceased at the death of John the Baptist, and New Testament prophecy is (that while Old Testament prophecy was Scripture directly from God and not judged by ordinary people. False OT prophecy was revealed and warned against by the Prophets who received the Word of God concerning them which they relayed to the people.) to be judged by every believer to see whether it complied with the written Scriptures and the character and nature of God, and consistent with God's plans and purposes for the church dispensation.

New Testament prophecy is for the body of Christ and is for edification, encouragement and comfort of Christian believers. It is to strengthen believers in Christ. It is not for the nations.

Any prophecy given for the nations is false because it is Old Testament style prophecy which has ceased. Therefore such prophecies are from a lying spirit and the Scriptural judgment concerning false prophecy should be applied in every case. I don't care whether the "prophet" has a good reputation or not. Furthermore I would immediately reject any prophecy given by anyone who advertises himself as a prophet, or anyone who says, "This is the Word of God".

New Testament prophecy, as described by Paul in 1 Corinthians 14, is not the direct voice of God speaking Scripture through a person. It is not authoritative, in terms of what people should believe or how they should be guided. That is not the purpose of New Testament prophecy.

There is a very alarming increase in false prophecy invading the mainstream Charismatic movement, as warned by Jesus and Paul that would happen in these last days. Therefore, we need to be extra careful not to be deceived and drawn away from the Jesus of the Bible, to another Jesus dreamed up by some of these false prophets and teachers in places like the Bethel church and the Word of Faith movement.

Upvote 0

D.A. Wright

Stealth Defender Of Holy Writ
Site Supporter
Jul 18, 2019
Central PA
✟53,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I wonder if having charismatic tendencies leads to frequent revelations from God or if frequent revelations leads to charismatic tendencies. Either way, I seem to have been largely left out of this loop during my 46 years of walking with The Lord. I often wonder also how people can have such widely different spiritual experiences with the God of the same Bible. It's all very confusing. Kind of like the tower of Babel.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟832,904.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I wonder if having charismatic tendencies leads to frequent revelations from God or if frequent revelations leads to charismatic tendencies. Either way, I seem to have been largely left out of this loop during my 46 years of walking with The Lord. I often wonder also how people can have such widely different spiritual experiences with the God of the same Bible. It's all very confusing. Kind of like the tower of Babel.
There are no new revelations outside of the written Scriptures. What many call revelation is merely fresh insight into what has already been inspired in the Scriptures - that is, seeing a verse or passage in a new way - but that insight has to be consistent with the rest of Scripture and not apart from it.

Modern Charismatic "revelation" coming from the Bethel church and the Faith movement, does not comply with written Scripture, and there have been those who have got up in their meetings and encouraged people to have faith in the finished work of Christ on the cross, have prophesied against and forcibly removed from their meetings.

These "revelations" are nothing but non-Biblical nonsense and presents another gospel that leads people away from Christ and puts more confidence on the prominent figures in those movements instead.

• Agree
Reactions: aiki
Upvote 0

SaintNick

Jun 10, 2017
US
✟28,571.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I have never heard the voice of God at least to my understanding.
I've heard my own inner monologue so even if he did speak to me I'd just be like, "Nah, I'm telling myself that."

Another thing its like when you get a new vehicle or whatever and you start to notice there's a lot of other vehicles like yours on the road now for some reason. When before you never really paid attention or it didn't seem like there was, but now that its on your mind and you're driving it all of a sudden tons of the appear. Idk if I'm making any sense but you could really go mad trying to listen for Gods direction or the "voice" of God.

That being said I do believe signs can be appointed but I think if I did hear an actual voice of God I'd lose the few marbles I have left. :pray:

Also I heard a missionary testimony yesterday on youtube where the guy said they were helping in a region and the ladies he met cried because they were asking God to send somebody for 20 years. So... maybe time and prayer and coincidence all play a factor.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CharismaticLady

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2019
Tennessee
✟140,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
here is a very alarming increase in false prophecy invading the mainstream Charismatic movement, as warned by Jesus and Paul that would happen in these last days. Therefore, we need to be extra careful not to be deceived and drawn away from the Jesus of the Bible, to another Jesus dreamed up by some of these false prophets and teachers in places like the Bethel church and the Word of Faith movement.

I do not see this as inside the church, especially Bethel, but outside cults like David Koresch, and Jim Jones. Personally, I would love to go to Bill Johnson's church. I'm not going anywhere at the moment. Wherever I go, I have to sit alone. So do I want to sit alone at A, B or C, or find another church to sit alone. I'd rather sit alone here at my desk ministering on the internet.

• Friendly
Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CharismaticLady

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2019
Tennessee
✟140,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate

I have a lot of experiences, but God and I have cultivated that kind of relationship. Sure as a Charismatic, I expect the miraculous, because I know God intimately. But just as you have different types of relationships with different people, God treats us all individually, and many times God will act according to our faith. Much of the "faith" in the church toward interacting with God is outright unbelief, and worse yet mocking.

David, I would suggest you first make a habit of praising God or thanking Him constantly throughout the day, whenever you see something of His creation that is beautiful, or tastes good. Let thankfulness to God be the number one thing out of your mind or mouth all through the day, every day. God inhabits the praises of His people. Read His Word and expect God to show you something you've never seen before. Those are revelations. It is like prophecy, but forthtelling, as opposed to foretelling. Those revelations are called rhemas.

BTW, I wasn't upset earlier. I just wanted you to know that I do accept outside revelation from God. You are not alone. My relationship with God is such that now I no longer pray my wants and needs, God speaks to me and I repeat what He said verbatim and it is answered. He has stopped the rain for me so many times, that now when it is raining, I just thank Him that He will allow it to be dry when I go from my car to the house. Same with my keys when they get mislaid. He has told me so many times that He knows where my cat is, or this or that, that I just pray that I know you know where they are, could you lead me to them, and within a few seconds I find their hiding place. God is good! And I always praise Him for that close parking space. I know its from Him even if I didn't ask. Its a new way of viewing the world around you to include God and a spirit of thankfulness and appreciation in every moment.

Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟832,904.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I do not see this as inside the church, especially Bethel, but outside cults like David Koresch, and Jim Jones. Personally, I would love to go to Bill Johnson's church. I'm not going anywhere at the moment. Wherever I go, I have to sit alone. So do I want to sit alone at A, B or C, or find another church to sit alone. I'd rather sit alone here at my desk ministering on the internet.
This is the deception of the Bethel and Faith movements. They are so close to the real Charismatic, but contain enough poison in them to kill people stone dead spiritually. If you look at a pack of rat poison, you will see that 99.6% is good nutritious food for rats and they enjoy eating it, but the .4% of the poison mixed in with it is enough to kill them very quickly. The poison of these Charismatic cults is so mixed in with the good stuff that while imbibing the good stuff, the poison is received as well.

But not all Charismatic churches are like that, but because of the prominence of the cult ones it is very difficult to find a good one. The sign of a cult one is that they attract great crowds of people who are there just for the guaranteed healing, ear tickling "revelational" teaching, and the claims of prosperity. But if you look deeply into them, you will see that it is the preachers and leaders who are at the top of the prosperity pyramid and are using millions of dollars of the faithful to support their opulent lifestyles.

If you want to find a church, find a smaller one where people go because they love the word of God, and the pastor is paid a normal salary or stipend, lives in a house, and drives a standard model car just like any normal person. You will get good, solid doctrinal teaching and pastoral care in a church like that, and the people who love and accept you just as you are. And it doesn't have to be a Charismatic church.

Upvote 0

CharismaticLady

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2019
Tennessee
✟140,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
This is the deception of the Bethel and Faith movements. They are so close to the real Charismatic, but contain enough poison in them to kill people stone dead spiritually. If you look at a pack of rat poison, you will see that 99.6% is good nutritious food for rats and they enjoy eating it, but the .4% of the poison mixed in with it is enough to kill them very quickly. The poison of these Charismatic cults is so mixed in with the good stuff that while imbibing the good stuff, the poison is received as well.

But not all Charismatic churches are like that, but because of the prominence of the cult ones it is very difficult to find a good one. The sign of a cult one is that they attract great crowds of people who are there just for the guaranteed healing, ear tickling "revelational" teaching, and the claims of prosperity. But if you look deeply into them, you will see that it is the preachers and leaders who are at the top of the prosperity pyramid and are using millions of dollars of the faithful to support their opulent lifestyles.

If you want to find a church, find a smaller one where people go because they love the word of God, and the pastor is paid a normal salary or stipend, lives in a house, and drives a standard model car just like any normal person. You will get good, solid doctrinal teaching and pastoral care in a church like that, and the people who love and accept you just as you are. And it doesn't have to be a Charismatic church.

Every denomination has poison. You just left one that had more than most and I still hear trickles of their poison come out of you in unbelief. Good! Get it all out! Cough it up! LOL What I believe and have learned from God about His word, I do not fit the mold of any denomination. But I'll go to the church with the most faith, not the least. Cessationist Reformists probably have the most blatant kind of poison as totally unscriptural, and I find the most mockers.

Well it four am and I just got up for something and now I better try to rest. Good night sweet brother in Christ, and cat lover.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟832,904.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Every denomination has poison. You just left one that had more than most and I still hear trickles of their poison come out of you in unbelief. Good! Get it all out! Cough it up! LOL What I believe and have learned from God about His word, I do not fit the mold of any denomination. But I'll go to the church with the most faith, not the least. Cessationist Reformists probably have the most blatant kind of poison as totally unscriptural, and I find the most mockers.

Well it four am and I just got up for something and now I better try to rest. Good night sweet brother in Christ, and cat lover.
I have forgiven the fellow who bullied me, and his attitude does not reflect anyone else in that church. I went back after six months away from it, and was welcomed by all. I was invited to join in with the prayer for the visiting preacher and when I went to pray, the Scripture came strongly to me: "When you stand praying, forgive!" It was very strong, and I had to confess to the others that I found it difficult to forgive but I am willing to". Then I felt free to pray the prayer. Then I got the verse from James, "Show you faith by your actions", which said to me that if I was really forgiving, I needed to go back to the church on a regular basis and support the ministry, to show my forgiveness by my actions. It is interesting that last Sunday that very guy preached the sermon, and it was so much what I believe myself, and it seemed that the Holy Spirit said to me, "See what I can do, when you have a forgiving attitude?'

We don't have to agree with others in order to fellowship with them. We can have great fellowship even though we don't agree on many issues concerning the work of the Holy Spirit. But we have the basics right concerning salvation by faith and holy living for the Lord and the importance of love, peace and joy in our conduct.

You know what else the Holy Spirit said to me? It was through my reading of a Puritan divine who wrote in the middle 1600s. He said, "If a professing Christian is not found in the fellowship with other believers, we need to have doubts about his profession". That spoke to me like a prophetic word, and it was another point of guidance that I needed to get back in the fellowship of believers.

You see, the Holy Spirit does speak to both of us, in different ways, but the outcome is basically the same. He guides us in the ways we should walk in accordance with our faith and our particular environment.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

CharismaticLady

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2019
Tennessee
✟140,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
I have forgiven the fellow who bullied me, and his attitude does not reflect anyone else in that church. I went back after six months away from it, and was welcomed by all. I was invited to join in with the prayer for the visiting preacher and when I went to pray, the Scripture came strongly to me: "When you stand praying, forgive!" It was very strong, and I had to confess to the others that I found it difficult to forgive but I am willing to". Then I felt free to pray the prayer. Then I got the verse from James, "Show you faith by your actions", which said to me that if I was really forgiving, I needed to go back to the church on a regular basis and support the ministry, to show my forgiveness by my actions. It is interesting that last Sunday that very guy preached the sermon, and it was so much what I believe myself, and it seemed that the Holy Spirit said to me, "See what I can do, when you have a forgiving attitude?'

We don't have to agree with others in order to fellowship with them. We can have great fellowship even though we don't agree on many issues concerning the work of the Holy Spirit. But we have the basics right concerning salvation by faith and holy living for the Lord and the importance of love, peace and joy in our conduct.

You know what else the Holy Spirit said to me? It was through my reading of a Puritan divine who wrote in the middle 1600s. He said, "If a professing Christian is not found in the fellowship with other believers, we need to have doubts about his profession". That spoke to me like a prophetic word, and it was another point of guidance that I needed to get back in the fellowship of believers.

You see, the Holy Spirit does speak to both of us, in different ways, but the outcome is basically the same. He guides us in the ways we should walk in accordance with our faith and our particular environment.

Was the guy who bullied you still there?

Upvote 0

CharismaticLady

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2019
Tennessee
✟140,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
2000 years ago, a group of religious people said "there are no new revelations outside the written word of God"............And then crucified our Lord.

Is there really a scripture where the Jews said that? I don't recall, but I'd like to see it.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
All I'm going to respond to this hate, is I like your new Avatar!

??? Hate? There is no hate in my words. Skepticism, yes. Lots of skepticism. But no hate.

I have found that Christians often grow very murky - and unbiblical - in their thinking concerning how God communicates His will to them. For some believers, discerning God's will borders on superstition. They are often guilty of assuming that correlation equals causation, that is, that the proximity of two events in time automatically means they are related in some causal sort of way. There is also often no objective way of distinguishing between the believer's own inner voice and the voice they claim is God's. And the fact that Satan may counterfeit God's leading is dismissed by the idea that if what is thought to be God's leading doesn't contradict Scripture, then it can't possibly be a devilish counterfeit. Never mind that the devil is a master of manipulating Scripture, of bending, and redacting, and misapplying it to make his lies seem like God's own truth.

For these and other reasons, then, I'm very skeptical of the "God told me" declarations Christians are wont to make. Too often, the rationale for their claim boils down to "I just know," which rationale they would immediately - and rightly - reject if, say, an atheist used it in defense of his belief that God doesn't exist.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I'm quite certain that God does speak to our hearts.

Yes, I think He does, too.

It is like the thoughts in our minds, but it has a quality that sets it apart. It is not a "voice" as such, but an impression in our spirit - because the Holy Spirit is a spirit and communicates with us spirit to spirit. What happens is that we interpret what has been received in our spirit with our mind. It is like, "The Holy Spirit is saying something to me, and I think it is...etc." But in order to know whether it is the voice of the Holy Spirit or our own thoughts, we need to be totally familiar with the written Word, and be people of prayer.

So, what does the Bible tell me the Holy Spirit will do in my mind and heart? Scripture tells me that the Spirit convicts me (John 16:8), illuminates my mind to God's truth (John 16:13), puts to death the deeds of my flesh (Romans 8:13), works in me both the ability and desire to do God's will (Philippians 2:13), produces the "peaceable fruit of righteousness" (love, joy, peace, etc.) in me (Galatians 5:22-23), leads me (Romans 8:14), and bears witness with my spirit that I am God's child (Romans 8:16).

Does the performance of these things in my life by the Spirit require Him "speaking" to me in the way you've described above? I certainly think He acts upon my mind and heart, conforming me to Christ in my thought-life and desires. I'm not sure this is always or even mostly a transformation of which I am conscious, however. In any case, I don't expect or look for leading or instruction from God in the form of inner impressions or "voices." I have His word that Paul the apostle has written is entirely sufficient to communicate to me God's truth and will for me (2 Timothy 3:16-17)

It strikes me as...odd when a believer tells me he has an inner leading from God (whatever that may mean) but then discerns the truth of it by resorting to Scripture. Why not simply operate from Scripture all the time? Why this desire to "hear God's voice" when it is already speaking in the pages of the Bible? Forget divine voices in my head; I'll just do what I know God has told me in His word to do.

The Holy Spirit told me one, "If I hear your voice in prayer a lot, then you will hear My voice to you." I find that He mostly speaks to me by directing me to a verse of Scripture that I have never memorised.

Where in Scripture do you read what the Holy Spirit told you about prayer and hearing His voice? I can think of no place where such a rule is communicated.

I memorize Scripture because God tells me in His word to do so (Psalms 119:11; Proverbs 3:3), because I always need it ready at hand in the daily fight I'm in against the World, my own flesh and the devil (Ephesians 6:17b; Matthew 4:1-4), and because it nourishes my soul (Jeremiah 15:16; Psalms 19:7-11; 1 Peter 2:2) and lights my way (Psalms 119:105). In light of all Scripture can do - and does - for me, I see little use for a divine "voice in my head."

I do, though, believe God brings certain verses or passages to my mind at times when I have needed Him to do so. In fact, I believe that if God speaks to my mind in any way, it is in this way - which is another reason why a thorough knowledge of His word is absolutely vital to my walk with Him.

I tend to have extended discussions with God about issues and questions, and while I am actually discussing them, new thoughts will come to mind that answer my questions! I see this as the Holy Spirit joining in the discussion, making it a two-way discussion where I end up having my questions answered.

I agree that God may guide one's thoughts, ordering them along a line that brings them to His truth. But, again, this is, in my experience anyway, a subtle, natural thing that doesn't involve a "voice in my head."

When I am wanting answers from God about any issue, I don't wait for a voice, word of knowledge, vision or a prophecy. I have a discussion with God about it, put my case, and then use my own judgment to find the way forward. I find that if He wants to guide me in a different direction, He gives me Scriptures that adjust my direction as if to say, "This is the way I want you to go."

Amen.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is there really a scripture where the Jews said that? I don't recall, but I'd like to see it.
The letter killeth. We can take any verse and make it seem to agree with what we already believe. So quoting scripture is not always that helpful.

Do you not agree that Jesus made statements that seem to be out side of the scriptures that the masters of the scriptures read at that time? Did they not call jesus a blasphemer who also broke the law?

Yes we say Jesus was in line with scripture but the religious just wasn't aware of it.....to their destruction.... People will say the same about us 2000 years from now. Nothing new under the sun.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: D.A. Wright
Upvote 0