Gospel Series: Saved by Faith ALONE

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian
Saved by Faith ALONE

The gospel is not unconditional. God has made salvation SOLELY conditioned upon FAITH in Christ. (By the way, this statement is in violation of Canon 9 of the Catholic Council of Trent, which declares those who take this position are anathema from the Catholic Church. As such those who believe the gospel in accordance with the Bible cannot identify themselves with the Catholic Church) The verse that follows Rom 4:5 states this, "David says the same thing when he speaks of the blessedness of the man to whom God credits righteousness apart from works: 'Blessed are they whose transgressions are forgiven, whose sins are covered. Blessed is the man whose sin the Lord will never count against him.'" Rom 4:6-8

Faith in Christ is the sole condition for salvation. John 3:16 And to the Christians in Ephesus Paul wrote, "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith— and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast." Eph 2:8,9 And "because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions— it is by grace you have been saved." Eph 2:4,5

Salvation is "free" in that there are no works one must do to be saved. Faith is the sole prerequisite. But faith is not a work, it is an attitude. The Bible very clearly indicates faith is not a work in saying, "If, in fact, Abraham was justified by works, he had something to boast about— but not before God. What does the Scripture say? "Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness." Now when a man works, his wages are not credited to him as a gift, but as an obligation. However, to the man who does not work but trusts (actually the word "believe" is used in the Greek) God who justifies the wicked, his faith is credited as righteousness." Rom 4:2-5 Thus faith, while a condition for salvation, is not categorized as a work. Faith is an attitude, and like all attitudes, it's not something one gets paid for.

The Gospel Series

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Saved by Faith ALONE

The gospel is not unconditional. God has made salvation SOLELY conditioned upon FAITH in Christ. (By the way, this statement is in violation of Canon 9 of the Catholic Council of Trent, which declares those who take this position are anathema from the Catholic Church. As such those who believe the gospel in accordance with the Bible cannot identify themselves with the Catholic Church) The verse that follows Rom 4:5 states this, "David says the same thing when he speaks of the blessedness of the man to whom God credits righteousness apart from works: 'Blessed are they whose transgressions are forgiven, whose sins are covered. Blessed is the man whose sin the Lord will never count against him.'" Rom 4:6-8

Faith in Christ is the sole condition for salvation. John 3:16 And to the Christians in Ephesus Paul wrote, "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith— and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast." Eph 2:8,9 And "because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions— it is by grace you have been saved." Eph 2:4,5

Salvation is "free" in that there are no works one must do to be saved. Faith is the sole prerequisite. But faith is not a work, it is an attitude. The Bible very clearly indicates faith is not a work in saying, "If, in fact, Abraham was justified by works, he had something to boast about— but not before God. What does the Scripture say? "Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness." Now when a man works, his wages are not credited to him as a gift, but as an obligation. However, to the man who does not work but trusts (actually the word "believe" is used in the Greek) God who justifies the wicked, his faith is credited as righteousness." Rom 4:2-5 Thus faith, while a condition for salvation, is not categorized as a work. Faith is an attitude, and like all attitudes, it's not something one gets paid for.

The Gospel Series
= turning the gospel into law and grace into works. Faith is a fruit of the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,157,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Saved by Faith ALONE

The Gospel Series
Ephesians 2:10 For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance as our way of life.

Reactions: Dave L
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Faith is an attitude
But is attitude all that is involved in becoming saved?

Ephesians 1:12 says "we who first trusted in Christ" > if a person needs to trust in Jesus, in order to be saved, this trusting in Christ is an action, not only an attitude. And an action would be a work . . . the work of changing from not trusting Jesus, to trusting Him.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Our Apostle Paul says,

"So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God." (Romans 10:17)

Is "hearing" an attitude or an action? If it is an action, it is a work, right? Where I am coming from is, if "hearing" is an action and is essential for salvation, then faith alone is not enough, but "hearing by the word of God" is needed in order to be saved.

And, as we have in Ephesians 1:12, a person needs to trust in Christ. In order to trust in Jesus, one needs first to hear the message of the cross; hearing this message is an action and therefore a work. Plus, trusting in Jesus is an action, not just an attitude.

And in order for someone to hear God's word, doesn't there need to be some sort of preaching or other communication? And communication is not only an attitude, but action . . . work . . . by whoever is doing the preaching and witnessing.

So, I would say there is much more to it, than faith "alone", then. Not only is faith not alone in the person getting saved, but there is the company of whoever the people are who are preaching and witnessing to the person.

And God is the One doing all these essential works in the person and through the ministering people.

So, then > whose work is involved? Does the person do the work, to get one's own self to hear and to trust in Jesus? I understand God is the One who works in the person to change the person to hear and to trust in Jesus. The glory and credit are all to God (Romans 6:17), including of course how God changes the person to have faith's attitude . . . but also the action.

So, this faith is in union with God. And it works in union with God and how God has faith working.

"But he who is joined to the Lord is one spirit with Him." (1 Corinthians 6:17)

So, there is union with Jesus included. So, it is not merely a human isolated in his or her own attitude and acting and trying. But God joins a soul to Jesus, in such a way that the person hears and trusts in Christ.

There is trusting in union with God Himself, spiritually. And in this union a person is turned "from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God" > in Acts 26:18. And if we have been brought to trust in Jesus and "to God", now we are with God Himself in His own love > Romans 5:5 > and this has us in submission to God, personally being changed and corrected and guided as His children. So, Biblical faith has us in personal union and sharing with God in His own love > Romans 5:5. Biblical faith, then, is not alone, but in connection and submission with God Himself living in us in His own love.

"for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure." (Philippians 2:13)

So, I can see that there are works which are essential for our salvation; but the Bible means works which God Himself does . . . not works of the Law nor "works of righteousness which we have done" (Titus 3:5). It is essential that He has people preaching and witnessing; it is essential that one hears; and it is essential that a person is turned from darkness and Satan "to God" (in Acts 26:18); and it is essential that the person comes to trust in Jesus. And if a person trusts in Jesus, the person is submitting to Him, not only believing at some theoretical and impersonal distance, just comparing ideas.

Ones of different groups can compete with their ideas, while none of them have heard and submitted to Jesus and started learning how to submit to God in His own peace > Colossians 3:15 > and learn how to love any and all people the way our example Jesus on the cross desires for us to love any and all people >

"And walk in love, as Christ also has loved us and given Himself for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweet-smelling aroma." (Ephesians 5:2)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
But is attitude all that is involved in becoming saved?

Ephesians 1:12 says "we who first trusted in Christ" > if a person needs to trust in Jesus, in order to be saved, this trusting in Christ is an action, not only an attitude. And an action would be a work . . . the work of changing from not trusting Jesus, to trusting Him.
No, 'trusting', 'believing' are NOT actions of work. They stem from an attitude, as the OP made so very clear.

Trust is an attitude. Just as lack of trust is an attitude. Towards those you do not trust, you have a certain attitude. The same is true of those you do trust.

The OP was eloquent in its explanation of the difference between believing and works.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No, 'trusting', 'believing' are NOT actions of work.
I am talking about trusting which is an action. I'm not talking about only an attitude, but action . . . and work is included in action.

When a person becomes saved, the person trusts in Jesus. There is work involved in a person changing to trust in Jesus. But it is spiritual work.

So, I do not mean work the way you mean it, I would say. Possibly, you are disagreeing with what I do not mean. But God works in a person, to change a person from being a child of Satan, to being a person who trusts in Jesus for salvation. This is a work of God, of course.

So, I mean that saving faith is not all by itself, but there is God's work in and through the faith > therefore > a person being saved by grace through faith. God's grace includes His personal action in us, changing a sinner to be a person who trusts in Jesus. God in His grace does work through faith to have a person trust in Christ > Ephesians 1:12.

Upvote 0

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I am talking about trusting which is an action.
The point is that trusting is NOT an action, but an attitude.

You can call breathing an action, or thinking as an action, but no one gets paid for breathing or simply having thoughts.

So, faith or trusting is not a work. So don't equate the "action" of trusting with a work.

I'm not talking about only an attitude, but action . . . and work is included in action.
The Bible clearly differentiates work from faith. Eph 2:8,9 and Rom 4:4,5.

When a person becomes saved, the person trusts in Jesus.
I believe you have it exactly backwards. When a peron trusts in Jesus, they become saved.

There is work involved in a person changing to trust in Jesus. But it is spiritual work.
Who is doing this "work"?

So, I do not mean work the way you mean it, I would say.
Well, I mean it the same way as the Bible means it. Like Rom 4:4,5.

Possibly, you are disagreeing with what I do not mean.
That's why it's very important to be a clear as possible.

But God works in a person, to change a person from being a child of Satan, to being a person who trusts in Jesus for salvation. This is a work of God, of course.
Are you suggesting that God causes a person to believe?

So, I mean that saving faith is not all by itself, but there is God's work in and through the faith > therefore > a person being saved by grace through faith.
Where is God's work in Eph 2:8?

God's grace includes His personal action in us, changing a sinner to be a person who trusts in Jesus.
So, it does appear that you believe that God causes people to believe.

Where does the Bible make that clear?

God in His grace does work through faith to have a person trust in Christ > Ephesians 1:12.
I look forward to your biblical source for your views.

I have never found any evidence that God causes anyone to believe.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have never found any evidence that God causes anyone to believe.
And this - - in my opinion - - could be a basic part of why you won't accept that trusting in Jesus (Ephesians 1:12) is an action and therefore some kind of work, which you seem to me to be saying. It appears I will keep saying, yes it is, and you will keep saying, no it isn't. Not to mention >

@bcbsr > this looks like what you would consider off-topic for your thread. So, I plan to stop here, unless you > bcbsr > please that we get into this.

Or . . . anyone can start a new thread . . . asking for scripture about if God causes or does not cause a person to believe. If anyone does this, please show the link here so we don't miss this.

Upvote 0

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I said:
"I have never found any evidence that God causes anyone to believe."
And this - - in my opinion - - could be a basic part of why you won't accept that trusting in Jesus (Ephesians 1:12) is an action and therefore some kind of work, which you seem to me to be saying. It appears I will keep saying, yes it is, and you will keep saying, no it isn't. Not to mention
Why didn't you answer my question about whether it is God who causes people to believe? Are you afraid to admit publicly that you think so?

I would be too, since there is no evidence for that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I believe Ephesians 2:8-9 is referring to how we are not saved by "Man Directed Works Alone Salvationism" (without God's grace) because verse 9 refers to the kind of work that a man would boast in themselves about doing; And I see Ephesians 2:10 as switching gears and talking about a completely different kind of work (i.e. "God Directed Works Done Through the Believer" (after they are saved by God's grace through faith in the Savior: Jesus)) because these are the kind of works that we are created unto Christ Jesus to do. They are not optional works. We are created unto Christ Jesus for good works.

The unprofitable servant was said to be cast into outer darkness where there is weeping and gnashing of teeth (Matthew 25:30). So the whole counsel of God's Word needs to be taken into account here. Salvation is not in just having a belief alone in Jesus for the blood to be applied to our lives. 1 John 1:7 gives us the true imputation of Christ's sacrifice (Which is to walk in the light as He (Christ) is in the light, so the blood of Jesus cleanses from all sin). 2 Thessalonians 2:13 says God has chosen us to salvation by a belief in the truth and by the Sanctification of the Spirit. Romans 8:13 says if we live after the flesh (sin) we will die (die spiritually), but if we put to death the deeds of the body (sin) by the Spirit, we will live (live spiritually).

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The Jews thought they were saved by simply being children of Abraham or in the fact that they were God's promised people. But Jesus said this to them:

"If ye were Abraham's children, ye would do the works of Abraham."
(John 8:39).​

Here is the entire verse:

"They answered and said unto him, Abraham is our father. Jesus saith unto them, If ye were Abraham's children, ye would do the works of Abraham." (John 8:39).

Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0