• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Gospel of St Thomas

Discussion in 'Christian Scriptures' started by friendl, Apr 17, 2019 at 12:48 PM.

1. friendl

friendl New Member

+13
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Married
    UK-Greens
    Hi all,

I want to know your thoughts on the Gospel of St Thomas, and is it relevant reading?

Thanks
    Lee.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Dave-W

Dave-W Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner! Supporter

+13,743
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    US-Others
    No. It was NOT written by the apostle. It is gnostic in nature.

Stay away. FAR away.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  3. Anto9us

Anto9us Neo-Middle

+1,807
    United States
    Methodist
    Private
    US-Others
    I replied to this, but my post vanished in a cloud of Gnosticism

4. Jonaitis

Jonaitis Have a blessed Lord's Day!

+1,491
    United States
    Reformed
    Single
    US-Republican
    An excerpt taken from it:

(30) Jesus said, "Where there are three gods, they are gods. Where there are two or one, I am with him."

Surely the apostle did not write this, nor did Jesus ever say such absurd things.

5. HTacianas

HTacianas Well-Known Member

+3,504
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    It may or may not contain sayings of Christian origin, but it is recognizably gnostic. The gnostics were notorious for adopting the teachings of Christianity and putting their own spin on them. There are some sayings within Christianity that lend themselves easily to gnosticism.

The gnostics were so well known for reworking the gospels to fit their idealogies that Christianity itself was often accused of rewriting its own. To outsiders the differences between Christianity and gnosticism were difficult to distinguish.

Gnosticism is the reason for the curse at Revelation 22:19.

6. SeventyOne

SeventyOne Well-Known Member

+2,275
    United States
    Calvary Chapel
    Married
    Isn't that the one that states women aren't worthy of life and Jesus states females must become males before they can enter the Kingdom of God?

Yup, not real.

7. Pavel Mosko

Pavel Mosko Arch-Dude of the Apostolic

+300
    United States
    Oriental Orthodox
    Single
    It is interesting, but not authoritative.

There are a 2 passages that are actually acknowledged as being from Christ by some of the Church Fathers the most famous one is.
    "Split a piece of wood and I am there, Lift a stone and you will find me."

I do find some of its sayings intriguing and insightful.

“If you bring forth what is within you, what you bring forth will save you. If you do not bring forth what is within you, what you do not bring forth will destroy you.”

Jesus said, "Let one who seeks not stop seeking until that person finds; and upon finding, the person will be disturbed; and being disturbed, will be astounded; and will reign over the entirety.

8. RaymondG

RaymondG Well-Known Member

+2,492
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    I believe this would be similar to the "two or three gathered together in my name there I am in the mist" scripture...

9. RaymondG

RaymondG Well-Known Member

+2,492
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    It is a very interesting read.....Whether or not you get anything out of it depends on what you are ready for and what God chooses to reveal.

10. Jonaitis

+1,491
    United States
    Reformed
    Single
    US-Republican
    It does sound like it.

11. Blade

Blade Veteran Supporter

+1,183
    Christian
    Married
    Dont you notice that when you read the word of God then lets say this.. its different. As if made to look like read like but GOD had not hand in it.

12. Jonaitis

+1,491
    United States
    Reformed
    Single
    US-Republican
    How many Christians contemplate the inspiration of each book in the actual canon?

13. ViaCrucis

ViaCrucis Evangelical Catholic of the Augsburg Confession

+14,254
    United States
    Lutheran
    In Relationship
    US-Others
    It's neither a Gospel nor was it written by St. Thomas.

In its current form it is a product of late 2nd century or 3rd century Gnosticism. While it doesn't contain an elaborate Gnostic cosmological exposition which is a common feature of Gnostic literature; it is rather clearly intended as a "secret" document intended only for initiates to the particular Gnostic sect which produced it.

It does contain a number of parallels to the Synoptic Gospels, and so it could have (possibly) have its origins as a list of sayings, that such a thing did exist early is reported by some of the early fathers. In fact compositions of Jesus' sayings likely did circulate before the Gospels were written. But Thomas is not one of these hypothetical sayings lists, though it may have originated from one (or more), as I mention above, its current form 2nd/3rd century and is quite Gnostic.

In other words, it is historically interesting, but spiritually meaningless.

-CryptoLutheran

14. ViaCrucis

ViaCrucis Evangelical Catholic of the Augsburg Confession

+14,254
    United States
    Lutheran
    In Relationship
    US-Others
    That's one of the clues that it's Gnostic. These sorts of disjointed sayings that, frankly, come across as gibberish to you and me, are the sorts of things Gnostics would have loved as their interest was gaining special esoteric knowledge which made them special, as it was this secret knowledge that gave them salvation--which for them was the discovery of their true selves and, ultimately, liberation from the world and return to the realm of pure spirit.

-CryptoLutheran

15. FireDragon76

FireDragon76 Ship of Fools Supporter

+8,228
    United States
    Lutheran
    Legal Union (Other)
    Some of the sayings are probably true to Jesus, that seems to be the consensus of many scholars, even if it is probably gnostic.

16. FireDragon76

FireDragon76 Ship of Fools Supporter

+8,228
    United States
    Lutheran
    Legal Union (Other)
    In the gospel of Thomas, Jesus implies he can make females male.

It actually reminds me of something from Pure Land Buddhism, there is a similar teaching in their Pure Land Sutras. Modern interpreters of course interpret it as saying men and women are equal, that being a woman is not a spiritual hindrance, in that particular social context. So we need to be careful not to be too harsh on the text. It may be reflecting a sentiment that is only understood within their own cultural context.

This sounds a bit like something from an Asian religion, for some reason. Which is intriguing.

Sounds sort of like psychodynamic psychology.

Sounds like a combo of Zen and Nietzsche.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019 at 10:05 PM
  17. SeventyOne

SeventyOne Well-Known Member

+2,275
    United States
    Calvary Chapel
    Married
    Within their 'own cultural context', we have it written in actual scripture that in Christ, there is no longer male and female, and also that God is not a respecter of persons. Thomas contradicts both of these concepts.