East of Manchester
✟2,620,944.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
While I don't think I am at specific fault for not redeeming the time, sometimes I wonder if that call to live "quiet and peaceable lives" allows more lack of participation than we should?
That is an interesting thought...

Upvote 0

rocknanchor

Continue Well 2 John 9
Supporter
Jan 27, 2009
Notre Dame, IN
✟979,341.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
"Strive to enter through the narrow door; for many, I tell you, will seek to enter and will not be able.”

(Luke 13:24)

Back in the time of the Apostles, how else was any hazard taken on account of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, but largely at the hands of Judaism.

Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution.

(2 Timothy 3:12)

Jumping ahead into the present, yet never leaving v-12, if I were to ask today what greater percentage of perpetrators would rail, even generate mild persecution against the sower of the cross in a land where the FULL message is preached daily, whom would you instantly begin to exclude, if you get my point?

Of course! Just as our forerunner brethren warned against, an inexcusable wrinkle – false brethren.

‘But Mike-mike, you shouldn’t accuse but forgive.’ If that is the standard by which we should conduct looking after the integrity of the word, to let ourselves be brought into the error-bondage of fools, yes, there is a call for a time of temperance, but soon, softness will illuminate the loss of repentance or not.

Upvote 0

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟807,263.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
"Strive to enter through the narrow door; for many, I tell you, will seek to enter and will not be able.”

(Luke 13:24)

Back in the time of the Apostles, how else was any hazard taken on account of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, but largely at the hands of Judaism.

Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution.

(2 Timothy 3:12)

Jumping ahead into the present, yet never leaving v-12, if I were to ask today what greater percentage of perpetrators would rail, even generate mild persecution against the sower of the cross in a land where the FULL message is preached daily, whom would you instantly begin to exclude, if you get my point?

Of course! Just as our forerunner brethren warned against, an inexcusable wrinkle – false brethren.

‘But Mike-mike, you shouldn’t accuse but forgive.’ If that is the standard by which we should conduct looking after the integrity of the word, to let ourselves be brought into the error-bondage of fools, yes, there is a call for a time of temperance, but soon, softness will illuminate the loss of repentance or not.
God deliver us from false brethren!

Upvote 0

rocknanchor

Continue Well 2 John 9
Supporter
Jan 27, 2009
Notre Dame, IN
✟979,341.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
God deliver us from false brethren!
On the one hand, exuberance for goodness and seeking the kingdom of God and His righteousness is undoubtedly that fully accepted practice. But once again I fear, one part of that the Church has chosen to stray from, and that is not addressing the slander false brethren continue to hijack the public message over those exhibiting godly prudence, such as,

“Evangelicals use the Bible to push hate and bigotry!”

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟748,645.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
What worries me a lot is what perception non-believers have of the Christian faith, what message we are getting across to them, and whether we are doing enough to challenge some of the erroneous teachings that are being espoused in the name of Christ.

Many people today do not have a Bible at home. Most people do not go to church and have not attended Sunday school. What they learn about the Christian faith is what they see on television, on radio and on social media.

When we switch on the TV, we hear stories of fundamentalist groups picketing the funerals of gay people, those who proclaim hatred and intolerance against people whose lives are different to their own. We hear about uber-wealthy evangelical preachers boasting how God has blessed them with extravagant wealth, while many people in the world are starving. We hear about stories of faithful men and women of God courageously coming to terms with illness and bereavement, or some significant life event or experience, yet they are belittled by those arrogantly claiming that their condition is a result of a lack of faith. We hear Christians showing judgement and contempt because because they do not agree on theological matters. It is often claimed that whether or not you are a "true" Christian is based on what politician you support. Absurd and heretical teachings are cropping up everywhere with some claiming that Christians are "little gods", others denying the hypostatic union of Christ's humanity and his divinity, with grevious errors of doctrine on the deity of Christ, the incarnation, and the atonement. We hear messages from preachers claiming that all people will be saved with no prospect of judgement. We hear others who are so fixated on hell and judgement, that there is no room for love or forgiveness in what they preach.

I guess we should all spend more time befriending others, sharing our faith, our testimonies and telling them how much God loves them. We should be telling them that whatever their circumstances, God cares passionately about them and longs for them to come to Him.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: quietbloke
Upvote 0

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟807,263.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
What worries me a lot is what perception non-believers have of the Christian faith, what message we are getting across to them, and whether we are doing enough to challenge some of the erroneous teachings that are being espoused in the name of Christ.

Many people today do not have a Bible at home. Most people do not go to church and have not attended Sunday school. What they learn about the Christian faith is what they see on television, on radio and on social media.

When we switch on the TV, we hear stories of fundamentalist groups picketing the funerals of gay people, those who proclaim hatred and intolerance against people whose lives are different to their own. We hear about uber-wealthy evangelical preachers boasting how God has blessed them with extravagant wealth, while many people in the world are starving. We hear about stories of faithful men and women of God courageously coming to terms with illness and bereavement, or some significant life event or experience, yet they are belittled by those arrogantly claiming that their condition is a result of a lack of faith. We hear Christians showing judgement and contempt because because they do not agree on theological matters. It is often claimed that whether or not you are a "true" Christian is based on what politician you support. Absurd and heretical teachings are cropping up everywhere with some claiming that Christians are "little gods", others denying the hypostatic union of Christ's humanity and his divinity, with grevious errors of doctrine on the deity of Christ, the incarnation, and the atonement. We hear messages from preachers claiming that all people will be saved with no prospect of judgement. We hear others who are so fixated on hell and judgement, that there is no room for love or forgiveness in what they preach.

I guess we should all spend more time befriending others, sharing our faith, our testimonies and telling them how much God loves them. We should be telling them that whatever their circumstances, God cares passionately about them and longs for them to come to Him.
Jesus,be revealed through us!

Upvote 0

rocknanchor

Continue Well 2 John 9
Supporter
Jan 27, 2009
Notre Dame, IN
✟979,341.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Forgive me Lord, for any bias I have or am now guilty of committing against Your sacred word. When the instant need to speak calls for the concise, may it be without bias against the full. When 'good talk' accepts one another fully exhausted, let the simplicity of Christ hold true! However the need, may Your Spirit enable the rest!!

Upvote 0

rocknanchor

Continue Well 2 John 9
Supporter
Jan 27, 2009
Notre Dame, IN
✟979,341.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I suspect since we have Jesus' statement over "the gates of hell”, even when the wolves can bring it against His flock borne by Acts 20:29, it ‘isn’t possible’ since we have His prevailing statement over the Church.

They can contend all they want; the heretical secret doesn’t fly. The fruit of ignoring truth undermines the possibility of that truly glorious direction. The congregation could well deny all responsibility and that victorious proclamation would still remain, with or without a wolf in the pulpit or committee. By what the word describes, the Church has the power to remove itself from God’s will.

If St. Paul had been engaged all his life in struggling with false teachers, it would have been inconceivably short-sighted if he had thought that such dangers would cease after his departure, and still more inconceivable if with such presentiments he had neglected to warn the Church. The vagueness of the description of the heretical teachers is in itself a proof of genuineness, and a writer of a later date would have made it far less general, and more easily to be identified with some current error. - Expositor's Greek​

Would someone mind explaining where the finality of God’s word was given pass over this danger expressed in Acts 20:29? While they're at it, they can explain why isn’t it a warning till He come again?

The Church of Christ is only a pillar for humanity as long as good-loving/loving-good remains.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rocknanchor

Continue Well 2 John 9
Supporter
Jan 27, 2009
Notre Dame, IN
✟979,341.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
It does raise questions when we see the warning of Romans 1 and the reason the wrath of God's displeasure is being presently poured out is not merely because of the rejection of the Gospel, but because of mishandling God's word.

With that and Jesus' words in mind on sheep/wolves highly deceptive pranks, I ask, what does Christian refusal of God's word look like?

Upvote 0

CaspianSails

Jan 30, 2019
Washington DC metro area
✟27,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is where I wish all those naysayers concerning the Baptism with the Holy Spirit would come down from the lofty ideal to understand the importance of not only claiming sinners but pray for filling them too.

I will take a shot at this. A person who is believer is indwelt by the Holy Spirit at the moment the repentance occurs. This is the position of most churches be they Baptist or Pentecostal or whatever. I believe you are referring to the manifestation of the Holy Spirit by speaking in tongues as seen in the Book of Acts. Recall the words of Christ to His disciples paraphrased here, I must go but I will ask the Father and He will send the Holy Spirit reference John 16:7. The Holy Spirit had not yet come but He did come and filled the Disciples and all believers. The question is now that the Holy Spirit has come does He fill us when we believe. Most Christians believe we are indwelt by the Holy Spirit at conversion as evidenced by 1 Cor 12:13, Ephesians 1:13 and many other scriptures. The disciples had a job to do and in order to do that job they needed to be charged so to speak. God still can work that in people today or He can work in people who are not experiencing a filling of the Holy Spirit in that way. But we have all we need when we turn away from sin and the world and turn towards God. But He can give us more through the Holy Spirit if needed.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

rocknanchor

Continue Well 2 John 9
Supporter
Jan 27, 2009
Notre Dame, IN
✟979,341.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
This is where I wish all those naysayers concerning the Baptism with the Holy Spirit would come down from the lofty ideal to understand the importance of not only claiming sinners but pray for filling them too.

I will take a shot at this. A person who is believer is indwelt by the Holy Spirit at the moment the repentance occurs. This is the position of most churches be they Baptist or Pentecostal or whatever. I believe you are referring to the manifestation of the Holy Spirit by speaking in tongues as seen in the Book of Acts. Recall the words of Christ to His disciples paraphrased here, I must go but I will ask the Father and He will send the Holy Spirit reference John 16:7. The Holy Spirit had not yet come but He did come and filled the Disciples and all believers. The question is now that the Holy Spirit has come does He fill us when we believe. Most Christians believe we are indwelt by the Holy Spirit at conversion as evidenced by 1 Cor 12:13, Ephesians 1:13 and many other scriptures. The disciples had a job to do and in order to do that job they needed to be charged so to speak. God still can work that in people today or He can work in people who are not experiencing a filling of the Holy Spirit in that way. But we have all we need when we turn away from sin and the world and turn towards God. But He can give us more through the Holy Spirit if needed.
The Holy Spirit has always asked the believer,

Have you received the Holy Ghost since you believed?

(Acts 19:2)​

Upvote 0