Virginia
✟224,439.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Lately I've felt spiritually separate from God, though my faith has never been stronger. It's the personal relationship that I seemed to lack, putting my knowledge and understanding before God and these of others before him. I was surrendering my responsibility of coming to God, as a Christian it's by Christ who knows and understands more than any of us; first place I come to him is the Gospels. Thankfully the Holy Spirit lead me to bible reading habits?, and being inspired I continued further googling for help as what to do; what I found was part two (The Gospel and the Discipline of Bible Intake) of an article about having the Gospel and Jesus at the center of reading, now I eventually realized there's a part one, Gospel-Centered Spiritual Disciplines:
For individual practice, the most important personal spiritual disciplines are the intake of Scripture and prayer.

Above quote is where I'm at personally when it comes to applying this helpful articles to my life. Beginning to practice as a Christian with Gospel-centered scripture and Christ-lead discipleship. So I've started a Daily Gospel Bible Reading, but at my own pace as I want to be able to meditate on it (think about it as I have questions and search for answers).

I read Matthew 1 yesterday (last night), thought much about it and searched having questions for answers; what stood out to me was the genealogy of Jesus (Matthew 1:1-16), of this him being the Son of David and the Son of Abraham (Matthew 1:1) while he's of Joseph by Mary whom he was born as the one called Christ. Matthew 1:18 explains how Mary was a virgin who was miraculously impregnated with Jesus whom is of the Holy Spirit. Which differentiates his conception (actually his existence: conception, birth, life; everything) from the others; he's of the spirit in the flesh, embodiment of God (incarnated).

Last part related that stood out was Matthew 1:22-23, a reference to Isaiah 7:14; where Isaiah prophesied to Ahaz (King of Judah and descendant of David), about how the Lord would give him a sign (Isaiah 7:14), "Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign: behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel."

How it relates to the Gospel and Jesus is it's the fulfilling of the Old Testament prophesies; God's word to them by the prophets (his promise of salvation and savior). Jesus is Christ who is the incarnation of God as savior and the Gospel is the word of God as salvation to his people.

Reactions: mukk_in

Brotherly Spirit

Supporter
Feb 22, 2017
Virginia
✟224,439.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In Matthew 2:3-4; king Herod and Jerusalem had searched the Scriptures for Christ, yet they had their own judgment fearing for themselves. Yet it was the wise men in Matthew 2:1-2 who were lead by his star in the East showing them they way to him; they didn't have judgments and fears, but faith and hope as they looked for the one who was to be sent as prophesied in Micah 5:2 (referenced in Matthew 2:6). It was before Christ was to come that the wise men had prepared themselves for the good that would come, while Herod and Jerusalem were unprepared expecting the worse.

Both sides searched looking for Christ, yet it was those who not only knew of his coming, but kept him in his heart that came to know him and accepted him as the Savior bringing them salvation from God (follow him in worship in the name of God as in Matthew 2:11. While others who were suppose to know him didn't and were kept from him, they didn't have Christ in their heart and were ill-willed toward him as in Matthew 2:8, 2:16.
John 5:39-40 "You search the Scriptures, for in them you think you have eternal life; and these are what testify of Me. But you are not willing to come to Me that you may have life."

John 5:9-11 "And immediately the man was made well, took up his bed, and walked. And that day was the Sabbath. The Jews therefore said to him who was cured, "It is the Sabbath; it is not lawful for you to carry your bed." He answered them, "He who made me well said to me, 'Take up your bed and walk.'"

It was God's word to his people of salvation that his will be done. He sent Christ to be a savior to his people for this purpose. (Matthew 2:6) Which was compassion as a father would have for his son, having mercy and forgiveness for them (Matthew 2:15); after suffering in death to have life in salvation (Matthew 2:16, Matthew 2:19-21).

(Thank the Lord for his mercy, it has been difficult few days. Not everything has gone according to plan, least not my own. I was lead to those John quotes as I struggled to humble myself and have patience with God's word. Lesson I've learned is to slowly learn as I listen to him, not rush myself to know and understand everything; but just read the Gospel taking it to heart and have love for Jesus.)

Upvote 0

Brotherly Spirit

Supporter
Feb 22, 2017
Virginia
✟224,439.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yesterday morning I read Matthew 3, I tried to approach it differently as I felt called to do so. Not to feel whelmed and rushed I let the chapter speak to me as I read it. Slowly thinking about it, choosing one thing standing out to me and asking the question "How does it relate to the Gospel and Jesus?"

Surprisingly it was Jesus himself, he came to John the Baptist for baptism. Except it was to be baptized by John, whom was expecting otherwise from the Christ. (Matthew 3:13-14) Then Jesus's answer to him about it was to fulfill all righteousness, which by definition is being morally right or justifiable. As if to let him know it's what they're or him especially are to do. When Jesus was baptized in the water, the Holy Spirit of God came forth from the heavens in the form of a dove; something heavenly, peaceful, innocent, and forgiving. It was the mercy of God descending from heaven, it was him as a father blessing his son, one who was sent in the spirit by his word. (Matthew 3:15-17)

There was more to the chapter and what I thought about it, but the above was what stood most out to me. It goes directly back to Matthew 3:3 about the prophesy by Isaiah 40:3. It was John the Baptist who was called by God's will to prepare himself and others for the Kingdom of Heaven, when the Christ of God would come. (Matthew 3:1-2) Yet it wasn't with judgment to condemn, Jesus didn't come of himself by his own will; except just as those before him he was sent by God for a purpose. To fulfill the word of God, his promise to them; how he had mercy for his people and was forgiving sins. (Matthew 3:15-17)

Ultimately it's not about us, but God almighty; it's by him we have life according to his will and it's nothing about us that can change this truth. (Matthew 3:9)

Upvote 0

Brotherly Spirit

Supporter
Feb 22, 2017
Virginia
✟224,439.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The Lord has a way of letting you know what's wrong, even when we don't want to hear it. (Matthew 10:26) This life is full of suffering and much of it is out of our control. Only way through it is Christ, he laid the path for us to follow; what's to happen and how to endure everything life gives us. (Matthew 10:25) Both here on earth and in heaven. I believe it's knowing what has meaning for our lives, as it makes all the suffering worth it in the end. (Matthew 10:28) A purpose that's greater than ourselves being fulfilled, none greater than the life Jesus gave and continues to give; in the grace and glory of God. (Matthew 10:38-40)

If we're to follow him on his path, we must endure as he did. His faith in God strengthen him to not lose sight of who's will he was serving; our faith in him must be as enduring if we're to serve him. (Matthew 10:17-18, Matthew 10:19-20, Matthew 10:24-25, , Matthew 10:32-33)) Jesus was persecuted for living according to God's word, it wasn't a life of comfort but suffering it all. I can't help thinking how comfortable I have it, and how little I give. It's more apparent when we strive to live according to Jesus'. (Matthew 10:24, Matthew 10:38-39)

Have faith in the Lord, God bless!

Upvote 0