Gospel Artists Collaborating with Secular Artists...Thoughts?

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Gospel artists collaborating with a secular artist is nothing new, but in light of seeing mainstream gospel artists such as Tasha Cobbs and Fred Hammond, who are doing collabs with secular artist have raise a concern of where in music we draw the line.

I understand that people have to may move to broaden the base and generate income to support things, but does this compromise with our ministry? Are we to support it or to have discernment?

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I don't like it. I feel often times the songs end up getting ruined if it has for example, a secularist and a Christian singer singing different things.

In a sense for believers, it would bring up questions on the mindset of the gospel artist behind the song/album when a secular artist is brought on.

Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
So far I haven't seen case when they are brought on where the secular artist is not toned down in some light (no cursing, acknowledging God, etc.) But in a sense for believers, it would bring up questions on the mindset of the gospel artist behind the song/album when a secular artist is brought on.

Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I don't like it. I feel oftentimes the songs end up getting ruined if it has for example, a secularist and a Christian singer singing different things.

So far I haven't seen a case when they are brought onthe secular artist where they are not toned down in some light (no cursing, acknowledging God, etc.) But in a sense for believers, it would bring up questions on the mindset of the gospel artist behind the song/album when a secular artist is brought on.

Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I think it is a matter of perspective. I think I would rather see a secular artist collaborating with a gospel artist than visa versa. IMHO secular artists seeking Lord Jesus is a very good thing.

That's a good way to see it. For me, I wouldn't encourage it, because of the message it sends with collaborating, which is kinda like condoning the artist as well. Seeking the Lord is one thing, but it doesn't mean I should just add them to my song right away; industry is a different talk, but with any platform that is for ministry, there is a responsibility there.

Interestingly I had a conversation with my sister about a guy who was committed as a sex offender and served 9 years, but during those years came to know the Lord. She asked me if he should be allowed in the church to hold a position there, and I thought "where's the rush? why don't they just test the fruits first and see how he functions, and then see how mature he is to hold that position". The same I feel with this situation.

I guess I'm more concern that the perspective that doesn't favor it, I feel as though I am wrong for thinking that. That it's judgemental and is what's wrong with the church. What're your thoughts about it?

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,404,751.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
That's a good way to see it. For me, I wouldn't encourage it, because of the message it sends with collaborating, which is kinda like condoning the artist as well. Seeking the Lord is one thing, but it doesn't mean I should just add them to my song right away; industry is a different talk, but with any platform that is for ministry, there is a responsibility there.
Well, certainly if you think collaborating with a secular artist is wrong, you should not do it. But knowing that there is no condemnation for those in Christ Jesus you don't condemn others who are free to do as they wish. It is a faith thing. If we govern ourselves by the words of Apostle Paul, everything we do is done to the Lord. If you abstain it is to the Lord that you abstain. If you do not abstain it is done to the Lord.
I guess I'm more concern that the perspective that doesn't favor it, I feel as though I am wrong for thinking that. That it's judgemental and is what's wrong with the church. What're your thoughts about it?

What is wrong with the Church imho is a lack of understanding of what faith is.Also since there is a lack of understanding of what faith is, faith cannot be communicated to others. So the Church is shackled and impotent.

It is really simple.

Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
What is wrong with the Church imho is a lack of understanding of what faith is.Also since there is a lack of understanding of what faith is, faith cannot be communicated to others. So the Church is shackled and impotent.

It is really simple.

Ok,so what is your understanding of faith? And from your understanding of what faith is, how is it displayed in the collaborations?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,404,751.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Ok,so what is your understanding of faith? And from your understanding of what faith is, how is it displayed in the collaborations?
The definition of faith is in Hebrews.
Hebrews 11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

This is the word, and He is, right now. It is we have head knowledge, but not spiritual understanding. We mentally agree with the word, but we do not actually know how to apply it, imho.It took many years for me to understand this.We have to know that our Heavenly Father wants us to succeed in every way. He wants us to use the talents He has given us to the fullest.And He wants us to reach out to those who are lost. Lord Jesus died for every human.

In collaborations, gifts are shared, and if there are those who can be reached by it, I think our Father will be pleased

• Agree
Reactions: salt-n-light
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hebrews 11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

This is the word, and He is, right now. It is we have head knowledge, but not spiritual understanding. We mentally agree with the word, but we do not actually know how to apply it, imho.It took many years for me to understand this.We have to know that our Heavenly Father wants us to succeed in every way. He wants us to use the talents He has given us to the fullest.And He wants us to reach out to those who are lost. Lord Jesus died for every human.

In collaborations, gifts are shared, and if there are those who can be reached by it, I think our Father will be pleased
Some excellent thoughts there about the nature of faith from the Scriptures.

Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

I'm in agreement. I think we do lack faith that all things work for our good to those that believe on Him sometimes. We get weary seeing drama in the world happen and lose that confidence. I just pray that we as Christians don't forget it when approaching topics like this and that such collabs are done in wisdom and in order.

I think now more than ever, we have so many insights and connection to these artists, that anything out of the ordinary we do question the motive and authenticity of things.

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,404,751.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I'm in agreement. I think we do lack faith that all things work for our good to those that believe on Him sometimes. We get weary seeing drama in the world happen and lose that confidence. I just pray that we as Christians don't forget it when approaching topics like this and that such collabs are done in wisdom and in order.

I think also that we forget that we have an enemy who does not want us to know who we are in Christ. He wants us to fail and we have not learned how to resist him.His main tool is distraction. Sometimes I do not see when my focus is distracted. So, when I recognize that I am distracted by the wrong thing and wrong thinking, I have to repent and get back to what is important.^_^ We have to allow for mistakes in ourselves and in other people.

Have you noticed that some folks just like drama in their lives? There was a time when I was addicted to the soap operas . I got delivered from that praise the Lord.Some people try to live their lives according to what they see on t.v.^_^
There is enough crazy drama going on in the world to shake anyone's confidence. But, since I got older and have overcome quite a few calamities, I recognize that songs, both secular and gospel, have a healing effect. I have heard secular songs that carry a powerful message.

I think now more than ever, we have so many insights and connection to these artists, that anything out of the ordinary we do question the motive and authenticity of things.

Maybe some people do. I just listen to the music. If I like it, I like it. If I don't like it, I don't like it. People have the right to sing songs. People have the right to praise our Father.People have the right to fellowship with each other. So, understanding that, I am not concerned about it.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think it is a matter of perspective. I think I would rather see a secular artist collaborating with a gospel artist than visa versa. IMHO secular artists seeking Lord Jesus is a very good thing.
OK - I will give you 2 scenarios:

1 - On "Lady Madonna" and "Get Back" the Beatles brought in Gospel Keybordist Billy Preston. Preston also recorded and toured with the Rolling Stones.

2 - on his 2nd solo album "Love Broke Through," Gospel guitarist Phil Keaggy brought in secular bassist Klaus Voorman and secular keyboardist Larry Knectell.

Your comments?

Upvote 0