✟1,339,355.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Without Commentary

From that time Jesus began to preach, saying, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.” ~ Matt. 4:17

And he said to them, “Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.” ~ Matt. 4:19

“Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few.” ~ Matt. 7:13-14

“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’” ~ Matt. 7:21-23

“Everyone then who hears these words of mine and does them will be like a wise man who built his house on the rock. And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house, but it did not fall, because it had been founded on the rock. And everyone who hears these words of mine and does not do them will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand. And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell, and great was the fall of it.” ~ Matt. 7:24-27

“Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I have not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I have come to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law. And a person's enemies will be those of his own household. Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me, and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. And whoever does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me. Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.” ~ Matt. 10:34-39

“Whoever is not with me is against me, and whoever does not gather with me scatters.” ~ Matt. 12:30

Then Jesus told his disciples, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it. For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul? Or what shall a man give in return for his soul?” ~ Matt. 16:24-26

And calling to him a child, he put him in the midst of them and said, “Truly, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.” ~ Matt. 18:2-4

And he said to him, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the great and first commandment. And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. On these two commandments depend all the Law and the Prophets.” ~ Matt. 22:37-40

“Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you clean the outside of the cup and the plate, but inside they are full of greed and self-indulgence. You blind Pharisee! First clean the inside of the cup and the plate, that the outside also may be clean.” ~ Matt. 23:25-26

“Who then is the faithful and wise servant, whom his master has set over his household, to give them their food at the proper time? Blessed is that servant whom his master will find so doing when he comes. Truly, I say to you, he will set him over all his possessions. But if that wicked servant says to himself, ‘My master is delayed,’ and begins to beat his fellow servants and eats and drinks with drunkards, the master of that servant will come on a day when he does not expect him and at an hour he does not know and will cut him in pieces and put him with the hypocrites. In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.” ~ Matt. 24:45-51

And while they were going to buy, the bridegroom came, and those who were ready went in with him to the marriage feast, and the door was shut. Afterward the other virgins came also, saying, ‘Lord, lord, open to us.’ But he answered, ‘Truly, I say to you, I do not know you.’ Watch therefore, for you know neither the day nor the hour. ~ Matt. 25:10-13

“Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink, I was a stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not clothe me, sick and in prison and you did not visit me.’ Then they also will answer, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to you?’ Then he will answer them, saying, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me.’ And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.” ~ Matt. 25:41-46

And Jesus came and said to them, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.” ~ Matt. 28:18-20

*All scripture references are taken from the Gospel of Matthew, English Standard Version.

• Agree
Reactions: JIMINZ

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Without Commentary
Not possible.

English translation = commentary
Chapter and verse divisions = commentary
Punctuation = commentary
The set of verses you cherry picked = commentary

Upvote 0

Christsfreeservant

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Aug 10, 2006
Rock Hill, SC
Visit site
✟1,339,355.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not possible.

English translation = commentary
Chapter and verse divisions = commentary
Punctuation = commentary
The set of verses you cherry picked = commentary

Dave W - Do you object to all English translations of the Bible? Do you dispute with any of the verses I quoted as to the meaning behind Jesus' words? Certainly you know that when I said, "Without commentary" that I was referring to the fact that I was quoting verses only, and that I was not discussing what these verses were saying. So, are you taking issue with the scriptures themselves?

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No. I take no issue with the verses.

Yes - I do object to anyone thinking that any translation, English or otherwise, is the TRUE word of God. Translations are useful, but everyone should recognize their weaknesses.

And I take issue with the “without commentary” idea. As I said, it is an impossibility. We should all be aware of that fact. Even if we get rid of chapter and verse divisions, we still have our own world view that colors everything we read. And part of the world view of our Lord’s original audience was the Gospel inherent in the Old Testament. Places like Isaiah 53, Jeremiah 31, any number of Psalms. If those scriptures do not come to mind as we read the passages you posted, then we are NOT hearing them the same way His original audience did.

Upvote 0

Danthemailman

Jul 18, 2017
Midwest
✟301,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Without Commentary

From that time Jesus began to preach, saying, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.” ~ Matt. 4:17
Both John the Baptist and Jesus preached, "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand" (Matthew 3:2; 4:17). What do you believe the gospel of the kingdom is and what do you believe Jesus meant by repent and believe in the gospel in Mark 1:15?

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Yes - I do object to anyone thinking that any translation, English or otherwise, is the TRUE word of God. Translations are useful, but everyone should recognize their weaknesses.
A good translation is needed yes, but Gods word is not so difficult that we need to read Greek or Hebrew. The Churches are divided but they base their theology on the words of men who can read Greek and Hebrew. I would rather follow a path of simplicity rather than one of tradition. Tradition most often divides the Church over unnecessary things.

Upvote 0

Christsfreeservant

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Aug 10, 2006
Rock Hill, SC
Visit site
✟1,339,355.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

And I take issue with the “without commentary” idea. As I said, it is an impossibility. We should all be aware of that fact. Even if we get rid of chapter and verse divisions, we still have our own world view that colors everything we read. And part of the world view of our Lord’s original audience was the Gospel inherent in the Old Testament. Places like Isaiah 53, Jeremiah 31, any number of Psalms. If those scriptures do not come to mind as we read the passages you posted, then we are NOT hearing them the same way His original audience did.
1 Peter 2:24: He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, that we might die to sin and live to righteousness. By his wounds you have been healed.

This is the essence of the gospel of our salvation from sin, and Isaiah 53 definitely comes to mind with this one. And this is the gospel Jesus taught, which is weaved all throughout these scriptures I quoted.

Upvote 0