GOP shuts out doctors, experts, Democrats — pretty much everybody — as they work on Obamacare repeal

evoeth

Man trying to figure things out
Mar 5, 2014
✟130,357.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
The GOP is fast becoming the party that caters to the ignorant and ignores expertise.
“To think you are going to revamp the entire American healthcare system without involving any of the people who actually deliver healthcare is insanity,” said Sister Carol Keehan, president of the Catholic Health Assn., whose members include many of the nation’s largest medical systems.

Health insurers, who initially found House Republicans and Trump administration officials open to suggestions for improving insurance markets, say it is increasingly difficult to have realistic discussions, according to numerous industry officials.

“They’re not interested in how health policy actually works,” said one insurance company official, who asked not to be identified discussing conversations with GOP officials. “It’s incredibly frustrating.”

Another longtime healthcare lobbyist, who also did not want to be identified criticizing Republicans, said he’d never seen legislation developed with such disregard for expert input. “It is totally divorced from reality,” he said.

GOP shuts out doctors, experts, Democrats — pretty much everybody — as they work on Obamacare repeal

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,149,307.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
The GOP shut-out Democrats?

lol-044.gif
lol-044.gif
lol-044.gif

Upvote 0

evoeth

Man trying to figure things out
Mar 5, 2014
✟130,357.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
The GOP shut-out Democrats?

lol-044.gif
lol-044.gif
lol-044.gif
If that's your admission that experts and people who know things about the world are liberals, I'll take it.

Read again. It was healthcare professionals the GOP shut out.

• Agree
Reactions: Cearbhall
Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If that's your admission that experts and people who know things about the world are liberals, I'll take it.

Read again. It was healthcare professionals the GOP shut out.

I can tell you this with a degree of confidence; most physicians are republicans.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟373,938.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
For the record, there was bipartisan cooperation in the development of ACA. At least in the Senate Finance Committee. Read about the "Gang of Six:"

"But with Obama’s blessing, the Senate, through its Finance Committee, took a different tack, and became the fulcrum for a potential grand bargain on health reform. Chairman Max Baucus, in the spring of 2009, signaled his desire to find a bipartisan compromise, working especially closely with Grassley, his dear friend and Republican counterpart, who had been deeply involved in crafting the Republican alternative to Clintoncare. Baucus and Grassley convened an informal group of three Democrats and three Republicans on the committee, which became known as the “Gang of Six.” They covered the parties’ ideological bases; the other GOPers were conservative Mike Enzi of Wyoming and moderate Olympia Snowe of Maine, and the Democrats were liberal Jeff Bingaman of New Mexico and moderate Kent Conrad of North Dakota.

Baucus very deliberately started the talks with a template that was the core of the 1993-4 Republican plan, built around an individual mandate and exchanges with private insurers—much to the chagrin of many Democrats and liberals who wanted, if not a single-payer system, at least one with a public insurance option. Through the summer, the Gang of Six engaged in detailed discussions and negotiations to turn a template into a plan..."

Sadly, within a few months, partisan politics took over and cooperation ended. I don't know how much expert opinion, and detailed actuarial and financial projections went into ACA. If it wasn't much, that was a big mistake. So now that Republicans are gonna own any health insurance plan, why would they repeat it?

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
  • Informative
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Uncle Siggy

Promulgator of Annoying Tidbits of Information
Dec 4, 2015
Ohio
✟61,528.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Should be pretty easy to replace a turd and have no one miss it. What's taking the President and the GOP so long?

I'm curious as to why we need a replacement anyway???

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Well, if you look at the attached, when you factor in all docs, it is pretty much split down the middle. I have spent over 20 years dealing with surgeons and there is no question, the majority of them lean heavily republican.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/07/...an-your-psychiatrist-probably-a-democrat.html
My Dad's a doctor, and I'm a nurse, so I've been around doctors all my life. I'm not saying you're wrong, just cautioning against unconscious evidence bias

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,565.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm curious as to why we need a replacement anyway???
Because that would at least show Republicans aren't simply being contrarians when they oppose things like the ACA. It would show they actually want to help Americans and not just cater to their corporate masters.

• Agree
Reactions: evoeth
Upvote 0

Uncle Siggy

Promulgator of Annoying Tidbits of Information
Dec 4, 2015
Ohio
✟61,528.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Because that would at least show Republicans aren't simply being contrarians when they oppose things like the ACA. It would show they actually want to help Americans and not just cater to their corporate masters.

Repealing the ACA would show Americans that they do care. (That's why they were voted into office in the first place, to repeal that POC)...

The purpose of the ACA was to punish/control Americans that are independent/responsible/successful and reward those in the voter class that weren't, it was never about HealthCare...

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,565.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Repealing the ACA would show Americans that they do care.
About making money, yes. They've shown that quite clearly.

(That's why they were voted into office in the first place, to repeal that POC)...
Then, what's the hold up?

The purpose of the ACA was to punish/control Americans that are independent/responsible/successful and reward those in the voter class that weren't, it was never about HealthCare...
Yes, I've heard the Republican spiel about the ACA for 8 years now.... We all have. You guys really need some new material or do something with what you have.

Upvote 0