✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
GOP senators move to close child-bride immigration loophole

Republican senators announced a new bill Wednesday aimed at closing a child-marriage loophole in immigration law.

Under the current system, a juvenile in the U.S. can petition for a spouse or fiance to immigrate to the U.S., and an adult here can petition for a juvenile spouse to immigrate.

No parental consent is required.

A study last year by the Senate Homeland Security Committee found Homeland Security approved more than 8,000 petitions involving child marriages from 2007 to 2017 — including two involving 13-year-olds, 38 14-year-olds and 269 15-year-olds.

The senators’ new proposal would prohibit any spouse or fiance petitions that include a minor.

“A visa to enter the United States is a privilege, and this straightforward reform will help close a loophole that can lead to the abuse and exploitation of children,” said Sen. Ron Johnson, chairman of the Homeland Security Committee.

More at link:
Senators move to close child-bride immigration loophole - Washington Times

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
GOP senators move to close child-bride immigration loophole

Republican senators announced a new bill Wednesday aimed at closing a child-marriage loophole in immigration law.

Under the current system, a juvenile in the U.S. can petition for a spouse or fiance to immigrate to the U.S., and an adult here can petition for a juvenile spouse to immigrate.

No parental consent is required.

A study last year by the Senate Homeland Security Committee found Homeland Security approved more than 8,000 petitions involving child marriages from 2007 to 2017 — including two involving 13-year-olds, 38 14-year-olds and 269 15-year-olds.

The senators’ new proposal would prohibit any spouse or fiance petitions that include a minor.

“A visa to enter the United States is a privilege, and this straightforward reform will help close a loophole that can lead to the abuse and exploitation of children,” said Sen. Ron Johnson, chairman of the Homeland Security Committee.

More at link:
Senators move to close child-bride immigration loophole - Washington Times

Praise God!!!!

Praying!!!

Upvote 0

JosephZ

Mar 25, 2017
Davao City
Visit site
✟230,581.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
On average there have been 500 people per year immigrating to the US to be with their child bride or groom. In comparison, there are thousands of child marriages legally taking place in the US between American citizens each year. I think the states that have laws that allow child marriages to take place inside the United States should be addressed first since the numbers are far greater.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
On average there have been 500 people per year immigrating to the US to be with their child bride or groom. In comparison, there are thousands of child marriages legally taking place in the US between American citizens each year. I think the states that have laws that allow child marriages to take place inside the United States should be addressed first since the numbers are far greater.
Yes each state has their own laws. That does not mean the federal government cannot impose age standards.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Two states in the U.S. allow children to marry at 14, under some circumstances. Will we have to deport them?
Is it your point federal law must reflect the lowest denominator of state statutes?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Is it your point federal law must reflect the lowest denominator of state statutes?

It's my point that federal law seems to be rather selective in it's concern for children marrying.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I know, I was just echoing the words of Tucker Carlson.

(Barbarian checks)

TUCKER CARLSON: By the way, women hate you when they do you wrong and you put up with it.

CO-HOST: Exactly.

CARLSON: Because they hate weakness. They’re like dogs that way. They can smell it on you, and they have contempt for it; they’ll bite you.

CARLSON: I mean, I love women, but they’re extremely primitive, they’re basic, they’re not that hard to understand. And one of the things they hate more than anything is weakness in a man.

In 2009 Carlson was defending Fundamentalist Mormon polygamist and child marriage advocate Warren Jeffs, claiming that child marriage was just a “different lifestyle.”

"He’s in prison (Warren Jeffs) because he’s weird and unpopular and he has a different lifestyle that other people find creepy."
Tucker Carlson Defends Child Marriage, Claims Women Are ‘Primitive’

But these were white American men Carlson was defending. I suspect that he'd be on board for the bill as it is, because it doesn't address people like Warren Jeffs.

Reactions: SummerMadness
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's my point that federal law seems to be rather selective in it's concern for children marrying.
What prevents the federal government from establishing policy? Nothing.

The SCOTUS in one decision mandated from the bench the definition of marriage which forced the majority of states to comply with.

Perhaps the few states which now have child bride laws will sue the DHS and the SCOTUS will just enforce the federal definition upon them.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Barbarian observes:

That's my point.

Perhaps the few states which now have child bride laws will sue the DHS and the SCOTUS will just enforce the federal definition upon them.

Just noting the inconsistency in the law, which protects foreign children, but not American children.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just noting the inconsistency in the law, which protects foreign children, but not American children.
It’s not inconsistent. One is a state law and the other is a federal policy. The federal government sets and enforces immigration law.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
It’s not inconsistent. One is a state law and the other is a federal policy. The federal government sets and enforces immigration law.

And yet your argument is:

I'm just noting the selective concern.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The last line in the Bill of Rights (Amendment #10) reads thusly:

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.​

The power to establish that policy falls to the states, not the Fed.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The last line in the Bill of Rights (Amendment #10) reads thusly:

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.​

The power to establish that policy falls to the states, not the Fed.
It seems that did not hold water in the
Obergefell v. Hodges decision.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And yet your argument is:

I'm just noting the selective concern.
The current loophole has no parental consent. Which state allows a minor to marry without parental consent? Mississippi is the only state that I know of which allows minors to marry without parental consent.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It seems that did not hold water in the
Obergefell v. Hodges decision.
Unfortunately the courts have been eroding that idea for a long time.

Upvote 0