GOP Rep. Steve King wants to know when, exactly, did being a white supremacist became a bad thing?

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
GOP Rep. Steve King wants to know when, exactly, did being a white supremacist became a bad thing?
When did being a “white supremacist” or "white nationalist" become a bad thing? That’s what Rep. Steve King, the sitting GOP congressman from Iowa, wants to know.

King has won re-election every year since 2003 in Iowa’s red-leaning 4th District but has long fended off accusations that he harbors white supremacist or white nationalist beliefs. And his recent interview with the New York Timeshasn’t helped his defense.

“White nationalist, white supremacist, Western civilization — how did that language become offensive?” King asked the Times. “Why did I sit in classes teaching me about the merits of our history and our civilization?”
tulc(seriously?) :eek:

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,304.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
“White nationalist, white supremacist, Western civilization — how did that language become offensive?” King asked the Times. “Why did I sit in classes teaching me about the merits of our history and our civilization?”

I appears he didn't understand much in his classes about American history. The people of his district, are they white supremacists too?

• Agree
Reactions: tulc
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,304.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Some Republicans didn't like it either....King is being challenged in the 2020 Republican primaries.

The comment drew a denunciation from members of House Republican leadership.

Wyoming Rep. Liz Cheney, the No. 3 Republican, said King's remarks were "abhorrent and racist and should have no place in our national discourse."

Another Republican, Rep. Justin Amash of Michigan, tweeted, "This is an embrace of racism, and it has no place in Congress or anywhere."

https://abcnews.go.com/beta-story-c...s-slam-colleague-call-racist-remarks-60292943

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
For some reason, the republicans in northwestern Iowa seem to be really, really off the rails on this. But there's signs that even they are getting tired of his behavior. He barely won last time around. It's good to know that some republican officials are now fed up.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
It's possible that he figured Trump meant his time had come, and became more open about it,

I think that Trump has enabled a lot of people who in the past were much more circumspect.

• Agree
Reactions: Ringo84
Upvote 0