traingosorry

I'm what Willis was talkin' bout.
Mar 10, 2004
✟14,190.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Just curious if your city/neighbourhood has been graced by 'Street View' yet?

Google Maps just launched this new feature in Vancouver on thursday (for the upcoming Olympics) and it's caused quite a stir. At least a good portion of my workplace was checking out what their own houses looked like and if their pets had jumped on the couch to stare out the front window just as they had been instructed not to. :D My boss started hollering about what everyone was up to and then promptly asked to see his own house; someone happened to be in his yard, and it wasn't the mailman!

It's kind of eerie to think just anybody, with your address, can see your house from a sidewalk perspective and even zoom into your windows (faces and license plates have been blurred out for privacy). One guy in Canada (Ontario) was none too pleased about this as the Google vehicle with camera propped on its roof happened to roll past this guy's place just as he walking past his window stark naked. That'll teach him!

So can anyone take a virtual tour in your neighbourhood?

kevlite2020

rawr means I love you in dinosaur!
Sep 11, 2008
Florida
Visit site
✟28,200.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've checked out my area on it, it's kinda funny. The best is seeing people driving by and you can see they are singing at the top of their lungs haha!

Yeah it's kinda weird and privacy invading and all, but meh, that's going to happen and I'm not going to fight it. I'm just going to make sure to have my blinds closed when walked around naked lol!

Upvote 0

RockstarDame

Princess
Oct 5, 2009
St. Louis Missouri
Visit site
✟8,417.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
My house isnt on there because it was built in the last year but my moms house is, only the image that they took was from like 5 years ago and there has been tons of changes since then, so anyway... yea, it doesnt look the same.

I think google maps is kickin!

Upvote 0

SmileAndAHandshake

Senior Veteran
Oct 1, 2003
✟19,199.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Urgh. I hate google street view, they got our car on it! We have underground parking at home, but apparently the car was at work when these pictures were taken.

At least you can't see license plates, but still, I find it creepy. I can also get a GOOD look at the living room window in my condo. Not cool. Glad we're on the third floor.

Haven't seen any pictures of people in their homes, but I do notice as I travel around East Side Vancouver on a virtual tour, that many people have houses close to the street that have huge bay windows that could easily have had a person standing in them. I think that's disturbing. I don't know what their policy is for that kind of thing.. if they get an image with a person in it, do they discard it? Hmm..

Upvote 0

RockstarDame

Princess
Oct 5, 2009
St. Louis Missouri
Visit site
✟8,417.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Urgh. I hate google street view, they got our car on it! We have underground parking at home, but apparently the car was at work when these pictures were taken.

At least you can't see license plates, but still, I find it creepy. I can also get a GOOD look at the living room window in my condo. Not cool. Glad we're on the third floor.

Haven't seen any pictures of people in their homes, but I do notice as I travel around East Side Vancouver on a virtual tour, that many people have houses close to the street that have huge bay windows that could easily have had a person standing in them. I think that's disturbing. I don't know what their policy is for that kind of thing.. if they get an image with a person in it, do they discard it? Hmm..

Yea, that is creepy that they can stare at us.... any time... :o

Upvote 0

SmileAndAHandshake

Senior Veteran
Oct 1, 2003
✟19,199.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I notice that the photos are at least a couple months old, I doubt they are re-taken (at least not regularly). That is both a relief, and an annoyance, because it means my car is gonna be on that thing for a LONG TIME. I just find that gives me a creepy-feeling I guess.

I know the pictures are old though because I zoomed down-town where I work, and a building that is now open is showing as under construction. That was back in the summer, probably July.

Upvote 0

BarelyBreathing

Everything is Beautiful
Sep 1, 2009
Middle of nowhere
✟18,180.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My home is on street view, but it is several years back before I lived here...... so if someone looked up mine they'd think I owned a plane. :p Also, my home is actually 1-2 blocks wrong on street view. When you put in my addy, it doesn't take you to my home. It takes you down the block and you have to "walk" the screen up to my home. So, if someone only knew my addy and not what my home looked like then they'd never find the right house. ;)

Upvote 0

traingosorry

I'm what Willis was talkin' bout.
Mar 10, 2004
✟14,190.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My home is on street view, but it is several years back before I lived here...... so if someone looked up mine they'd think I owned a plane. :p Also, my home is actually 1-2 blocks wrong on street view. When you put in my addy, it doesn't take you to my home. It takes you down the block and you have to "walk" the screen up to my home. So, if someone only knew my addy and not what my home looked like then they'd never find the right house. ;)

Oh well that's a bit comforting. It does the same and for everyone else I know who has searched their home - they had to travel a bit. Maybe this is for security reasons?

Upvote 0

radhead

Contributor
Feb 20, 2006
✟63,827.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I was looking at an apartment near a major intersection once. There was a couple walking on the sidewalk there and you could see closeups of their faces as the camera came closer to them. (What if one of them were cheating on their spouse?)

I heard that the kidnapper in the Duggard case started following (or appeared to be) the camera operator who drove past his house, for several blocks. You can actually see the guy's van following, like he was paranoid or something.

Upvote 0

BarelyBreathing

Everything is Beautiful
Sep 1, 2009
Middle of nowhere
✟18,180.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
traingosorry said:
Oh well that's a bit comforting. It does the same and for everyone else I know who has searched their home - they had to travel a bit. Maybe this is for security reasons?

I dunno. The google earth software is off for my home location as well.

Personally, I wouldn't give a stranger on-line my address anyhow. :p I have to trust someone before I would do that. (I have shown people my home though.)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Manda_24

Saved by Grace
Jan 2, 2004
Indiana
✟19,896.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The house I live in now is on there, actually when I type in my address the wrong house shows up, I have to go down a couple of houses to get to mine. The house I grew up in isn't on there, I guess I lived too far out in the middle of no where for them to come by. For a few years you couldn't zoom in very far in that area but that's changed now.

Upvote 0