Dicy mind

Unless the Lord leads
Dec 7, 2004
Helsinki
Visit site
✟15,847.00
Faith
Christian
It's really cool.. But privacy, hmm didn't think about that before but google earth isn't in my opinion any problem to privacy since it's not real time and you can't really see people. And I believe that that people who develop these things understand the issue well enough so that they don't make any public spy satellite services. And not like every one owns a satellite.

Upvote 0

simplicity

incredibly ordinary member
Jun 29, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
✟3,507.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I haven't downloaded it yet. But I'm not all that concerned about privacy particularly since the imaging is old.

I know we worry about people peering down at us studying our every move. I'm sure this was the general idea behind some spy programs. The idea sounds plausible on paper and especially in fictional novels, but the harsh reality is quite different. First of all (1) most people lead ordinary lives. So paying somebody to view all the footage of an ordinary person is like paying somebody to watch Homer in The Simpsons for a living. Then of course (2) the world is pretty darn unstable even with all the surveillance. So whoever is responsible for viewing the footage is probably being incapacitated by his efforts to do point 1. It's too bad such individuals and agencies are paid by tax dollars. It explains the huge expenditures hailed as the cure-all elixer to national security.

Upvote 0

kurabrhm

Feb 23, 2004
Southampton, Hampshire, England.
Visit site
✟2,333.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
askbros said:
Heard that the US gov can read the time on your watch in real time.

That's on occasions when it gets confused.

Question: what exactly did President Bush think about when he appeared totally confused when someone told him that hijacked planes had crashed into the World Trade center?

Upvote 0

Firebird73

Aug 12, 2005
Yorkshire
✟576.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
This is an amazing programme, and highly addictive. Unfortunately, because my PC is so OLD I cant run this programme, every time i try this message comes up: 'the so and so could not be located in the dynamic library' or something like that!!
I dont know about the satellites been able to read wrist watches but scientists have managed to fire a probe the size of a washing machine on an object 15 miles wide 83 million miles away!

God Bless.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Livinloud316

Trekkie Extraordinaire
Dec 27, 2003
Portland, Oregon
Visit site
✟15,396.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
askbros said:
Heard that the US gov can read the time on your watch in real time.

Yeah, with all the budget cuts and such, that was the first thing to go, they got rid of every clock and watch in the white house! So now they just use these satellites to read YOUR watch when they need to know what it it is :p

Upvote 0

Steve_SandbachBaptist_UK

Jun 3, 2004
Cheshire
Visit site
✟11,293.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I think it's a good programme. I managed to find my house on it. However, on our PC I noticed that whereas you could zoom in on some towns and see them really clearly (like my home town) it was more difficult with other places, particularly cities.

I got lost in the pacific ocean at one stage though :scratch:

Upvote 0

Macano

Jun 16, 2005
Visit site
✟15,867.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I've been using Google Earth since it was released and I use it A LOT! I do long distance backpacking and peak bagging - hiking all the time, and this program allows me to "preview" the terrain. Also, I plug GPS coordinates of water sources, trail junctions, and other important info into it so I can see where it is in 3D. On top of that, I download my GPS track data into, allowing me to see in 3D the trail for future reference. I love this program.

Also, have you checked out Nasa's World Wind ? It's similar to google earth, but allows you to change the colors, veiw 3D topomaps, see animations of large scale events (Yellowstone Fire), etc. Another fantastic program worth a look! Here's the site:

http://www.worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LazyGuy

Aug 16, 2005
Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
Visit site
✟9,781.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I downloaded it and showed it to my cell group. There is actually no privacy, with or without Google Earth. Don't think for a second that we are not being watched. Actually, God sees what we do, hears what we say and knows what we think. Better be good boys and girls. Don't think of hiding.

Upvote 0

kcong

Aug 2, 2005
✟7,738.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
LazyGuy said:
I downloaded it and showed it to my cell group. There is actually no privacy, with or without Google Earth. Don't think for a second that we are not being watched. Actually, God sees what we do, hears what we say and knows what we think. Better be good boys and girls. Don't think of hiding.

Yes Sir..... Better be good!!!! Everyone!

I think Google Earth is nothing if compare to what some government have, and i don't think it is just a imagination of movie director only........

Upvote 0