Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Read the articles.
Not impressed.
I repeat...good women do not murder their children.

Not impressed??

They both show the derangement of abortion lovers. You really do seem to be responding to the title rather than the content.

Upvote 0

sylverpiano

unworthy
Oct 14, 2010
✟53,702.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Does anyone read the articles or are we just responding to the thread title?

Hey there, Miss Shelby!

Yes, I did read the articles. Neither of them made even a single point with which I could agree. None of the reasons given in the first article would justify abortion.

Should we not discuss any other aspects of the abortion question other than what was in the articles?

I apologize if, by general discussion of the abortion issue, I derailed your thread.

Upvote 0

TheBarrd

Teller of tales, writer of poems, singer of songs
Mar 1, 2015
Following a Jewish Carpenter
✟14,094.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
According to the Church those are not good reasons. Since abortion always has the primary aim of killing the baby in the womb abortion has nothing to do with trying to save the life of the mother. If a mother's life is endangered a doctor can try to save her life without trying to kill the baby, and if the baby dies as an unintended consequence that would not be an abortion. It would be a double-effect.

Well, dear man, since I'm not a Catholic, I'm really not terribly concerned with what the church thinks about it. I mean no disrespect. However, not everyone who is against abortion is Catholic.
I've been involved in the fight against abortion on demand for a very long time. It really annoys me to be told 'keep your rosaries off my ovaries'...I don't even own a rosary, and wouldn't know what to do with one if I did.
It is nice that the pope and I agree....however, it wouldn't matter if we didn't. I would still say the same thing. Good women do not murder their children.

Upvote 0

brewmama

Senior Veteran
Dec 14, 2002
Colorado
Visit site
✟27,718.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hey there, Miss Shelby!

Yes, I did read the articles. Neither of them made even a single point with which I could agree. None of the reasons given in the first article would justify abortion.

Should we not discuss any other aspects of the abortion question other than what was in the articles?

I apologize if, by general discussion of the abortion issue, I derailed your thread.

I think she meant those who were responding to the title only, not the articles. Not you. The articles were NOT meant to justify abortion for heaven's sake!

Upvote 0

LivingWordUnity

Unchanging Deposit of Faith, Traditional Catholic
May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Well, dear man, since I'm not a Catholic, I'm really not terribly concerned with what the church thinks about it. I mean no disrespect. However, not everyone who is against abortion is Catholic.
I've been involved in the fight against abortion on demand for a very long time. It really annoys me to be told 'keep your rosaries off my ovaries'...I don't even own a rosary, and wouldn't know what to do with one if I did.
It is nice that the pope and I agree....however, it wouldn't matter if we didn't. I would still say the same thing. Good women do not murder their children.
I was presenting what the Catholic belief is since OBOB is supposed to be for Catholics. But one does not have to be a Catholic to recognize that there need not be the goal of killing the baby when trying to save the life of the mother.

Upvote 0

TheBarrd

Mar 1, 2015
✟14,094.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
I was presenting what the Catholic belief is since OBOB is supposed to be for Catholics. But one does not have to be a Catholic to recognize that there need not be the goal of killing the baby when trying to save the life of the mother.

You are right, of course. I'm not sure what OBOB stands for. However, perhaps I ought to point out that you don't have to be Catholic to realize that abortion is murder...:)

Upvote 0

LivingWordUnity

Unchanging Deposit of Faith, Traditional Catholic
May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
You are right, of course. I'm not sure what OBOB stands for. However, perhaps I ought to point out that you don't have to be Catholic to realize that abortion is murder...:)
It stands for one bread, one body. It's based on 1 Corinthians 10:17.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟88,282.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Hey there, Miss Shelby!

You're fine. It's just when generalized posts go up saying yes good women get abortions but it's forgiven if they repent' or good women don't murder their children, (well duh)--makes me wonder if people are familiar with the content of the articles is all.

Upvote 0

TheBarrd

Mar 1, 2015
✟14,094.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
You know what I'm wondering is how this got to be strictly a woman's issue in the first place. Surely these kids have fathers as well as mothers? And surely the Dad's life is going to be affected by the birth...or the death...of the baby? If he has no say in the "choice" of life or death for his child, to be fair, he ought not be held responsible for child support, either.
Then, too...how many of these aborted infants are little boys?

Wouldn't it be ironic if the scientist who could discover a way to control human reproduction so that we only give birth to the children we want when we want them, without relying on primitive methods like abortion or implants or whatever, never got to grow up and make the discovery....because his mother aborted him?

Upvote 0

Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟88,282.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Oh yes, the man has NO rights, the child certainly has no rights. It's all up to the mother, and the mother's are crazy. (I am referring to the ones that compare abortion to any other elective surgery.)

As for science controlling when and who we give birth, too, that sounds like genetic engineering to me. God is supposed to decide these things.

Upvote 0

katerinah1947

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2015
✟58,600.00
Faith
Catholic

Hi,
I am very very very Catholic and then some. Please stay here for me, if for no one else. I love your input. We Catholics, have a great deal of help from our leaders and they are oh so right on just about everything, however they are not always right, and it is very nice to have you here.
LOVE,
...Katie., .... .

Upvote 0

katerinah1947

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2015
✟58,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Oh yes, the man has NO rights, the child certainly has no rights. It's all up to the mother, and the mother's are crazy. (I am referring to the ones that compare abortion to any other elective surgery.)

As for science controlling when and who we give birth, too, that sounds like genetic engineering to me. God is supposed to decide these things.

Hi,
OhMy, I just had this discussion on your extended subject. It seems science and the person talking to me was horrified by this, is making strides at artificial life capable of sentience. In other words, people like machines of biolgicals that are human like.
I would not like to have to interface with machines and human like people made like man, but if they are sentient, then just maybe we will have to.
Now, I am not pleased that I misunderstood you. I thought you were pro abortion and I would have let you be, but I also would have told you why I think it is not well enough understood, and therefore wrong in the Absolute sense, normally.
LOVE,
...Katie., .... .

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟428,994.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Does anyone read the articles or are we just responding to the thread title?

I read the articles and found them to be complete and utter garbage attempting to praise and see good in what is unjustifiable and horrid. Is that the point of this thread, though? Were we all supposed to read the articles and say "eww" and call it a day? If so, then I'm sorry to have posted how I did. I just think that a better discussion can be had by looking at how the church has historically dealt with the reality of abortion, knowing that it is intrinsically evil and never justified and yet happens anyway. It is good to follow our fathers in all things, and there is nothing that the Church has not dealt with in some degree, although yes it does seem like the world is worse now than it has ever been on this particular issue. Perhaps that is the case, at least in the West.

(An interesting aside, as I was just reading about this earlier today: In my own church's history, mentions of abortion in historical documents are very rare, but are always negative. 7th century bishop of Qift, St. Pisentius, wrote in his First Letter (one of two extant letters of his, the first being an apocalypse concerning the Arab invasion of Egypt, which occurred while he was bishop): "Any woman who aborts what she carries in her womb of the incomplete foetus the Lord shall throw her into the depth of the pit of Hades." [As translated from the Arabic of the extant 13th century manuscript of the letter, published in Revue de l'Orient Cretien vol. 19, 1914.])

Upvote 0

Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟88,282.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I have never seen attitudes about abortion from pro choice people on the level of crazy that these people are. I put it to remind ourselves how disgusting this world is, and to be ever mindful of what we teach our kids, becuase this is what we're defending them from, and to guard our lampstands.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Yet, under Church doctrine abortion is a grave sin, but taking the birth control pill is equally a grave sin. The age of birth control has changed society and the family in ways we can't begin to comprehend. Yet, not much outrage about birth control and many who sit in the pews and take the Eucharist after taking their daily pill the previous week. What gives?

I'm outraged. But how to know who's taking and who's not? All you can do is preach it, and they do, in my parish. It's an internal thing if you examine your conscience.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.