back in black
Jan 28, 2005
Canada
✟20,680.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Welcome to contemporary feminism - where it is mandatory to view contraception and abortion as good (grace, mercy) if you don't want to be called "anti-woman".

It makes me sad to hear abortion called "merciful". It also makes me sick to hear people talking about "loving" their child enough to kill him/her before birth due to any number of reasons (I wasn't ready, the baby was sick, we didn't have enough money, etc. etc. etc.). It isn't loving or merciful to end a life. Not in Catholicism, where suffering unites one to God more closely than other ways.

Abortion says, "Some lives are worth more than others" and "the life of the fetus means nothing", since it can be so easily thrown away.

Upvote 0

wondrousgnat

Feb 27, 2013
Winfield Township
✟8,859.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My parents were not married til just before I was born and I was often told as a child that I was unwanted. They were strongly pro-abortion. Fortunately I was conceived before abortion was legal and I believe my life was worth living.

Reactions: LovelyGiselle
Upvote 0

brewmama

Senior Veteran
Dec 14, 2002
Colorado
Visit site
✟27,718.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My parents were not married til just before I was born and I was often told as a child that I was unwanted. They were strongly pro-abortion. Fortunately I was conceived before abortion was legal and I believe my life was worth living.

I find their behavior shocking! I'm so sorry. Of course your life is worth living. Surely they think so too at this point?

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟428,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Of course good women have abortions. Good people do all kinds of things that are not good. The Church has always recognized that abortion happens, and hence there was a loosening of the punishment for it c.4th century, IIRC (I don't have the reference at hand, but I seem to remember it being mentioned in the writings of St. Basil?), from a lifetime ban from the chalice to something less. It is important to note, however, that the Church always and everywhere has considered it to be murder. It is only in modern times that it has been refashioned as something less, because life is tiered now in such a way that if justifications can be found for devaluing it, they will be.

I don't know. I am not a woman, but I have known women who have had abortions, so it is not so cut and dry on a personal (one-to-one interaction) level. I am with the Church in condemning the act itself as intrinsically evil, but also with the Church in forgiving people who have done evil (not just in this way, but in many ways). I think the trouble with the way that this issue is framed by a lot of people is they want all of one (the forgiveness/understanding/support) and none of the other (the reality of what it actually is), as though it is a personal affront to them to be reminded that the child they are aborting is...well, a child. So it is transformed into a moral good about how they are free to live their lives now, and the fate of the child is not even ignored -- it's denied, in favor of treating the child as a parasite, or a finger nail, or otherwise just as a clump of cells no one should feel anything for. Lord have mercy. I see no contradiction between feeling for the mother (or would-be mother) and the child, and since it seems best to do both (as our Fathers have done), I can't go along with anything that lessens the seriousness of the act itself, let alone calls it something good.

Reactions: Root of Jesse
Upvote 0

RKO

Oct 27, 2011
✟41,071.00
Faith
Catholic

I try my best not to judge anybody, but your life, like every life, is worth lving. Glad you are around to argue with me! ;)

Sylver piano, my heart goes out to you. Rape has not touched me personally, but my family. I hope you found peace.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

sylverpiano

unworthy
Oct 14, 2010
✟53,702.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I try my best not to judge anybody, but your life, like every life, is worth lving. Glad you are around to argue with me! ;)

Sylver piano, my heart goes out to you. Rape has not touched me personally, but my family. I hope you found peace.

Thank you, my friend.

Reactions: Red Fox
Upvote 0

dzheremi

Aug 27, 2014
✟428,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Yes. St. Mary of Egypt can attest to that, as well as countless others. What is the message of Christianity to the world if not forgiveness and love in the face of whatever wickedness people may do? "Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do." Even people who knew they were committing evil deeds (St. Mary of Egypt, St. Moses) were still transformed by that very same forgiveness. We ought not to be so quick to condemn women (or men, or anyone) as "evil" for doing bad things. People are essentially good, or at least have a capacity for good that cannot be wholly extinguished by whatever bad they may do. Calvinist anthropology has no place in Catholicism, right?

Abortion is always and forever murder, but if a murderess cannot be forgiven, then Christ has died in vain and we are still slaves to sin and death. Perish the thought!

Upvote 0

brewmama

Senior Veteran
Dec 14, 2002
Colorado
Visit site
✟27,718.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yes. St. Mary of Egypt can attest to that, as well as countless others. What is the message of Christianity to the world if not forgiveness and love in the face of whatever wickedness people may do? "Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do." Even people who knew they were committing evil deeds (St. Mary of Egypt, St. Moses) were still transformed by that very same forgiveness. We ought not to be so quick to condemn women (or men, or anyone) as "evil" for doing bad things. People are essentially good, or at least have a capacity for good that cannot be wholly extinguished by whatever bad they may do. Calvinist anthropology has no place in Catholicism, right?

Abortion is always and forever murder, but if a murderess cannot be forgiven, then Christ has died in vain and we are still slaves to sin and death. Perish the thought!

Doesn't repentance come into play somewhere in there?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dzheremi

Aug 27, 2014
✟428,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Absolutely it does. All of the saints were repentant, as we too must be. I did not think it needed to be explicitly spelled out like that on a Catholic messageboard, but yes. We must repent of our sins, no matter what they are.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟186,956.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Good women have abortions ?

Good women have abortions out of ignorance, while the others are in denial or apathetic to the unborn life they are destroying.

Jim

Reactions: LovelyGiselle
Upvote 0

Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟88,282.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Doesn't repentance come into play somewhere in there?

exactly. The one author equated abortion to a tonsillectomy or a gall bladder removal. Just a necessary procedure to plan for a nice future. They're not REAL babies unless you have a lot of money.

Upvote 0

brewmama

Senior Veteran
Dec 14, 2002
Colorado
Visit site
✟27,718.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Good women have abortions ?

Good women have abortions out of ignorance, while the others are in denial or apathetic to the unborn life they are destroying.
Jim

It was a good article. Did you read it?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.