Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟776,545.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
My chess set, given to me as a housewarming present a few years ago, by a dear friend.

I'm not very good at chess, and I'm still learning how to play it.

I have a chess set mainly for sentimental reasons. Prior to moving permanently into care, my terminally ill natural dad used to carry me on his back in the most atrocious weather conditions up to the children's home where I lived for many years. When we arrived there, we both used to sit at a table by the window, where a chess board was put out and he would try and teach me how to play it. Even though he was desperately ill and unfortunately passed away, this was one of the final memories I had of him - taking the time to sit with me, talk to me, and to teach me a new skill.

15894529_1589325681083666_669348008058184489_n.jpg

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟951,187.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
My chess set, given to me as a housewarming present a few years ago, by a dear friend.

That's a gorgeous set! Have you tried apps or computer programs? They're supposed to help.

Even though he was desperately ill and unfortunately passed away, this was one of the final memories I had of him - taking the time to sit with me, talk to me, and to teach me a new skill.

Wow, that's a precious memory. You're honoring him with the set. That's very loving. :)

I started playing as a child. My aunt made me. We had 3 games: chess, checkers, and Scrabble. She's 40 years older. That isn't a fair fight! She wouldn't play Monopoly. We'd battle over Scrabble though. I read a lot.

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
✟776,545.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
That's a gorgeous set! Have you tried apps or computer programs? They're supposed to help.

Wow, that's a precious memory. You're honoring him with the set. That's very loving. :)

I started playing as a child. My aunt made me. We had 3 games: chess, checkers, and Scrabble. She's 40 years older. That isn't a fair fight! She wouldn't play Monopoly. We'd battle over Scrabble though. I read a lot.
I love Scrabble. I usually play online, against a friend of mine who was my former boss, and also my priest. I used to pride myself on the fact that it was a game I would always win, but they very soon started to overtake me on the scoreboard! These days, I play Scrabble just for fun and I love thinking up naughty words just for embarrassment!

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2016
Chattanooga, TN USA
Visit site
✟246,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I love Scrabble. I usually play online, against a friend of mine who was my former boss, and also my priest. I used to pride myself on the fact that it was a game I would always win, but they very soon started to overtake me on the scoreboard! These days, I play Scrabble just for fun and I love thinking up naughty words just for embarrassment!
7b37852fa1add38566da4080c902379b.png

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟951,187.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship

I used to play online through Yahoo. They had a pool game I enjoyed too. Naughty words? Say it ain't so! *lol*

We should have a game night. Let me chew on that. You inspired me. ;)

• Agree
Reactions: cara-mia
Upvote 0

cara-mia

Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2020
East Coast
✟51,641.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
I saw this a few weeks ago and it reminded me of us. We'd be the coolest flappers! We need to go to a Gatsby party or host one. They have some nice ideas on Pinterest. :D

That pic is so us! I can see it now. We will have our party for sure! :ahah:

• Haha
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

cara-mia

Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2020
East Coast
✟51,641.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
  • Winner
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
✟776,545.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I used to play online through Yahoo. They had a pool game I enjoyed too. Naughty words? Say it ain't so! *lol*

We should have a game night. Let me chew on that. You inspired me. ;)
I have an absolutely terrible sense of humour.
One Christmas, I visited some friends of mine, a lovely couple, and we decided to pull the Christmas crackers and share the jokes. As you would expect, the jokes were too dry to be funny and my friend, she read her joke with a blank face, until her husband chipped in with his own suggestion of what the punchline should have been. It was very rude of course (and I would never repeat it here!) but nonetheless we all exploded into fits of laughter. I must have been giggling for at least an hour!

Upvote 0

cara-mia

Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2020
East Coast
✟51,641.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged

I'm not very good at chess, and I'm still learning how to play it.

I have a chess set mainly for sentimental reasons. Prior to moving permanently into care, my terminally ill natural dad used to carry me on his back in the most atrocious weather conditions up to the children's home where I lived for many years. When we arrived there, we both used to sit at a table by the window, where a chess board was put out and he would try and teach me how to play it. Even though he was desperately ill and unfortunately passed away, this was one of the final memories I had of him - taking the time to sit with me, talk to me, and to teach me a new skill.

What a beautiful memory. That set is amazing. I used to know how to play chess. My fiance used to play as well but life sometimes has a way of getting in the way of play. I want to re-learn to play and bring it back. Thank you for sharing.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟951,187.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I have an absolutely terrible sense of humour.
One Christmas, I visited some friends of mine, a lovely couple, and we decided to pull the Christmas crackers and share the jokes. As you would expect, the jokes were too dry to be funny and my friend, she read her joke with a blank face, until her husband chipped in with his own suggestion of what the punchline should have been. It was very rude of course (and I would never repeat it here!) but nonetheless we all exploded into fits of laughter. I must have been giggling for at least an hour!

My sense of humor is interesting. I laugh at all sorts of things. :D You sound like a lot of fun.

• Friendly
Reactions: Anthony2019
Upvote 0

GOD Shines Forth!

Site Supporter
Jan 6, 2019
United States
✟355,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
@cara-mia,

I saw this a few weeks ago and it reminded me of us. We'd be the coolest flappers! We need to go to a Gatsby party or host one. They have some nice ideas on Pinterest. :D

View attachment 290242

That’s cool. I saw this FENDI ad in a recent VOGUE someone left at work and then found it on the web and saved it (I like good photography). I thought this design actually recalled a bit of the flapper sensibility.

39D4ADF1-50FF-4142-B0A0-67DD5FB8ACF6.jpeg

• Winner
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟951,187.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
That’s cool. I saw this FENDI ad in a recent VOGUE someone left at work and then found it on the web and saved it (I like good photography). I thought this design actually recalled a bit of the flapper sensibility.

That's gorgeous! Great eye. I love it. :yellowheart:

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
✟776,545.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
My sense of humor is interesting. I laugh at all sorts of things. :D You sound like a lot of fun.
I think what made the situation more funny was the fact that my friend who chipped in usually has a very a dry and self-contained sense of humour. To see him unable to stop laughing once he realised what he had said just made it more hilarious. We were all giggling like kids for ages!

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟951,187.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I think what made the situation more funny was the fact that my friend who chipped in usually has a very a dry and self-contained sense of humour. To see him unable to stop laughing once he realised what he had said just made it more hilarious. We were all giggling like kids for ages!

Sometimes we need to let go. I laugh a lot on here. :cool:

What do you do for fun?

Upvote 0