The Agnostic, Ignostic, Apatheistic Atheist
Jan 2, 2010
The Death Starbucks
✟18,474.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I feel as though I am lacking somewhat in my knowledge of most non-Christian religions, so I figured I'd start with the various texts and scriptures. However, a brief google has given me several differing translations. Whatever non-Christian religion you are, do you have any recommendations of good translations of your particular texts? If you know of somewhere online to read them, that would be nice, but I'm not exactly against going and getting hold of an actual book.

I'm especially interested in Islam and Judaism, purely because I'd like to see for myself how they compare to each other and Christianity, but I don't plan on stopping there, so I'm after as many religions' texts as possible.

Thanks in advance.

Wicked Willow

May 2, 2005
✟4,434.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Whenever I find that my foreign language skills are not up to the task, I usually refer to multiple translations, not just the ones that chime best with my own "taste". For example, there are about a gazillion translations of the Tao-te-Ch'ing, and each time I consult one of these, I discover a new angle, a new interpretation, a new aspect that was hidden from me before.
And my Chinese ex-flatmate tells me that this is exactly as it should be, with the original containing such a vast plethora of meaning that's simply lost in translation to some degree or other.

Upvote 0

SithDoughnut

Jan 2, 2010
The Death Starbucks
✟18,474.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Whenever I find that my foreign language skills are not up to the task, I usually refer to multiple translations, not just the ones that chime best with my own "taste". For example, there are about a gazillion translations of the Tao-te-Ch'ing, and each time I consult one of these, I discover a new angle, a new interpretation, a new aspect that was hidden from me before.
And my Chinese ex-flatmate tells me that this is exactly as it should be, with the original containing such a vast plethora of meaning that's simply lost in translation to some degree or other.

I plan on doing that when I find areas of religions that interest me, but right now all I'm looking for is a overview, and I don't really have the time or the patience to do that in multiple translations. I do however know that certain translations are closer or further away from the originals, which is why I'd like to start off with some translations that are seen as better. I was also kind of hoping that multiple versions of the same texts would come up, because I'm much more interested in the translations that people actually choose to follow as opposed to the translations that people don't really pay attention to.

Upvote 0

Under Grace

Humble and Repentful
Jan 28, 2010
Mid-West
✟16,193.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

SithDoughnut

Jan 2, 2010
The Death Starbucks
✟18,474.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

ChavaK

להיות טוב ולעשות טוב
May 12, 2005
US
✟158,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
I did indeed.

I'll have a look at them too.

Don't waste your time on El Shaddai ministries- it is a Christian
organization out to convert Jews.

I'll post some better sites for you later today.

Upvote 0

ChavaK

להיות טוב ולעשות טוב
May 12, 2005
US
✟158,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

Wicked Willow

May 2, 2005
✟4,434.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
You should remove the El Shaddai link-it's a Christian missionary organization
out to convert Jews and has nothing to do with Judaism. And I wouldn't
trust any of their translations.
The same probably goes for the Qur'an translations referenced in those links, considering who's giving the info. But I'll check them first.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ChavaK

להיות טוב ולעשות טוב
May 12, 2005
US
✟158,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
The same probably goes for the Qur'an translations referenced in those links, considering who's giving the info. But I'll check them first.

Good to know....the Judaism 101 site is legitimate, but the other is not.

Upvote 0

SithDoughnut

Jan 2, 2010
The Death Starbucks
✟18,474.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Don't waste your time on El Shaddai ministries- it is a Christian
organization out to convert Jews.

I'll post some better sites for you later today.

Yeah, I noticed that when I clicked on it.

Upvote 0

Nooj

Senior Veteran
Jan 9, 2005
Sydney
✟19,215.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
AU-Greens
I feel as though I am lacking somewhat in my knowledge of most non-Christian religions, so I figured I'd start with the various texts and scriptures. However, a brief google has given me several differing translations. Whatever non-Christian religion you are, do you have any recommendations of good translations of your particular texts? If you know of somewhere online to read them, that would be nice, but I'm not exactly against going and getting hold of an actual book.

I'm especially interested in Islam and Judaism, purely because I'd like to see for myself how they compare to each other and Christianity, but I don't plan on stopping there, so I'm after as many religions' texts as possible.

Thanks in advance.

For Judaism, I can't praise enough The Five Books of Moses by Robert Alter. A commentary and translation of Genesis to Deuteronomy in one package.

Upvote 0

SithDoughnut

Jan 2, 2010
The Death Starbucks
✟18,474.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
For Judaism, I can't praise enough The Five Books of Moses by Robert Alter. A commentary and translation of Genesis to Deuteronomy in one package.

I feel a library visit will be in order then.

Upvote 0

Penumbra

Traveler
Dec 3, 2008
United States
✟18,536.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Hi SithDoughnut,

Besides the Bible, the religious scriptures that I have read are the Qur'an and the Bhagavad Gita, as well as a few Buddhist scriptures.

My personal favorite was the Bhagavad Gita, which is an important scripture among many Hindus. It is written as a narrative, but is said to be a "song from god", as it is poetic. Unfortunately, if you read many English translations, you'll notice that, since they are directly translated from another language, the beauty of the language is somewhat lacking, as poetic work does not necessary translate well when it's translated literally.

So, my favorite translation is "The Bhagavad Gita, a Walkthrough for Westerners" by Jack Hawley.

Instead of attempting to translate directly, he attempts to express the meaning in a way that a westerner would understand it. So, he provides a little bit of background, reduces his use of foreign words, and in general makes the scripture sound very modern and relevant. God's character (Krishna) explains things in clear, concise language. The downside is that some accuracy seems to be lost, as attempts seem to be made to make it "politically correct", and rather universal for people of a variety of religions, so it takes out some literal stuff and, from talking to some of them, certain Hindus don't care for it. So, I recommend that if it interests you, after you read it, you read an online translation of the Bhagavad Gita for comparison. I found myself a bit disappointed reading a directly translated one, as I didn't enjoy it as much as Hawley's, but I am happy I was able to keep my knowledge of Hinduism more grounded. Basically, I view Hawley's work as an excellent stepping stone into lrnnring about Hinduism, but one that should be supported by other translations once involved.

As for the Qur'an, all I did was compare a few online translations, and then picked one that seemed to not be very different from the general consensus of the ones I was looking at. This I hope helped me reduce my chances of reading an inaccurate translation. (I did the same thing for the Gita when I read it the second time to seek a more direct translation.)

-Lyn

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Jun 7, 2010
✟15,376.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
For the Qur'an, this is my favorite site simply because it provides three good translations all on one page. If you want to purchase an actual Qur'an, I'd suggest one translated by Yusuf Ali, simply because it is my favorite of the translations.

For the Tanakh, I am partial to this one.

Oops...... I am not allowed to post links since I do not have a post count of 50 or greater here. You will have to type the http and www part at the beginning of these. LOL

usc.edu/schools/college/crcc/engagement/resources/texts/muslim/quran/

chabad.org/library/bible_cdo/aid/63255/jewish/The-Bible-with-Rashi.htm

Upvote 0

BruceDLimber

Baha'i
Nov 14, 2005
Rockville, Maryland, USA
✟10,839.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
SD, two other helpful sources for Baha'i scriptures are these:

www.reference.bahai.org (this site is multilingual), and
www.bahaistudy.org (this site also has videos and talking books).

BTW, on the Baha'i Reference Library site that Art mentioned, there's lots of other stuff, too; but our scriptures can be found by clicking the heading that says "Writings."

I wish you good hunting! :)

Bruce

Upvote 0

JELIEL

Morning Star
Apr 30, 2010
✟7,755.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private

Thanks in advance.

Sith this is a link to a site where you can find almost every ancient book from any religion to do some of your research. I don’t know exactly how the translation was made, maybe they explain that somewhere, but at least if you want to read some particular religious texts, I am sure you can found them here.

Internet Sacred Text Archive Home

.:groupray:

Upvote 0

SithDoughnut

Jan 2, 2010
The Death Starbucks
✟18,474.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Sith this is a link to a site where you can find almost every ancient book from any religion to do some of your research. I don’t know exactly how the translation was made, maybe they explain that somewhere, but at least if you want to read some particular religious texts, I am sure you can found them here.

That is a very cool website. I'll be bookmarking that one - I don't even recognise some of the religions there. Thanks a lot. :thumbsup:

On a side note, I've just started looking at the Baha'i stuff, so expect lots of questions ;).

Upvote 0

PassionFruit

I woke up like dis
May 18, 2007
In the valley of the wind
✟20,550.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat

Thanks for sharing, this site is a goldmine. :blink:

Upvote 0