Student at William Jewell
Aug 14, 2003
Visit site
✟16,028.00
Faith
Christian
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Dear Daily Message Readers,[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] [/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']READ: [/FONT][FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Jonah 3[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']BIBLEGATEWAY LINK: [/FONT][FONT='Arial','sans-serif']http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=jonah 3;&version=47; [/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Jonah 3:1-2 [/FONT][FONT='Arial','sans-serif'](ESV) “[/FONT][FONT='Arial','sans-serif']The LORD said to Jonah a second time, 2 ‘Go immediately to Nineveh, that large city, and proclaim to it the message that I tell you.’”[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Here we find Jonah after had he been disciplined by God for running away with a new capacity to hear God’s Word. Before this, as we have examined, he had listened to many influences. He had listened to his own desires, his own fears, and perhaps other people we don’t see in the story. But now, he heard the Word of the Lord anew! [/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']When the Lord has afflicted us with merciful discipline, we find ourselves tuning out the other noises that have been competing for our attention. We learn to hear what God says through His Word and to bend our hearts in joyful service and obedience to Him. This is why the psalmist said:[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Psalm 119:71[/FONT][FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] “[/FONT][FONT='Arial','sans-serif']It is good for me that I was afflicted, that I might learn your statutes.”[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']God brought about difficult changes in the life of Jonah so that he laid aside his rebellion and trusted solely in the providence and mission of God. The result was Jonah giving himself in unrelenting obedience. There were no more excuses or fleeing…just obedience![/FONT][FONT='Arial','sans-serif'][/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Did Jonah still fear the ridicule of his countrymen for going to the Gentile dogs? Did he still fear what the Ninevites might do to him? [/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Perhaps.[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']However, Jonah learned that obedience to the will of God is more important than his desires or personal feelings. May God grant us grace to follow Him with a similar attitude.[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Faith Lesson: [/FONT][FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Divine discipline teaches us to cast ourselves on the God who is not only sovereignly in control, but also the One who sustains us when we obey.[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']In Christ,
Darin Smith[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'][/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']
[FONT='Arial', 'sans-serif'] .[/FONT]​
[/FONT]