Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,817.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
https://believersportal.com/200000-...gH6xdN6a_KQ35x_7en2DYSDJZCYXtA3mmlczFy2fPF7Kw

I am wary of stories like this. Taking advantage of victims of natural disaster for the purposes of spreading ones religion isn't exactly ethical in my book. According to the Vatican, it constitutes unjust proselytism. It's common for cults and irresponsible religious groups to engage in such "love bombing" of people. But in the case of Tibetans, it's tearing them away from their ancestral religion.

I don't know of course for sure about the details of this incident, but it wouldn't surprise me. Christians need to go into these communities to actually serve people, not to win converts.

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,868.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I am wary of stories like this. Taking advantage of victims of natural disaster for the purposes of spreading ones religion isn't exactly ethical in my book. According to the Vatican, it constitutes unjust proselytism. It's common for cults and irresponsible religious groups to engage in such "love bombing" of people. But in the case of Tibetans, it's tearing them away from their ancestral religion.

I don't know of course for sure about the details of this incident, but it wouldn't surprise me. Christians need to go into these communities to actually serve people, not to win converts.

Actually Christians need to do both. It's also a good thing to pull these people away from their ancestral faiths like Europeans were pulled away from their pagan past.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,817.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Actually Christians need to do both. It's also a good thing to pull these people away from their ancestral faiths like Europeans were pulled away from their pagan past.

That's just colonialism by another name.

With so little respect for the religions of others, why should you expect the same respect in kind?

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,868.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
That's just colonialism by another name.

With so little respect for the religions of others, why should you expect the same respect in kind?

I don't expect the world to respect Christianity. I expect the world to want to destroy it, which is only natural given the claims of Christianity and what it portends.

Though I contest you calling Christian missionary work colonialism, that's anachronistic and doesn't capture how conversion worked historically or how it should happen. I hope you're just being hyperbolic.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,817.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't expect the world to respect Christianity. I expect the world to want to destroy it, which is only natural given the claims of Christianity and what it portends.

Well, with such a paranoid worldview, I will remeber to not argue with you in the future on this point, as you clearly are set on being adversarial.

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,868.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Well, with such a paranoid worldview, I will remeber to not argue with you in the future on this point, as you clearly are set on being adversarial.
How's it paranoid? Christianity sets itself up against all other ideologies and says it's the true one. Anyone would be offended at that and act violently towards it as historically happened and continues to happen. I'm not saying it to be paranoid.

If you want to end the discussion, I am not opposed to that. I just disagree with your idea that Christianity should think only about charity work. That's not the point of Christianity and has never been the point of Christianity. It is a religion with a message, as much as you might be opposed to that message that Christ is Lord.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,817.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
How's it paranoid? Christianity sets itself up against all other ideologies and says it's the true one. Anyone would be offended at that and act violently towards it as historically happened and continues to happen. I'm not saying it to be paranoid.

If you want to end the discussion, I am not opposed to that. I just disagree with your idea that Christianity should think only about charity work. That's not the point of Christianity and has never been the point of Christianity. It is a religion with a message, as much as you might be opposed to that message that Christ is Lord.

I'm not so much opposed to that, as all it entails for those who believe people like me are enemies and our interests don't matter.

Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic

I think the motivation of Christians to serve others in need was the attraction to the hear why from those who were suffering because of the disaster. It was not the spouting of faith during the giving of care, but the natural curiosity of those who had not receive this show of love from their own faith.

Reactions: dlamberth
Upvote 0

ThievingMagpie

Jun 5, 2018
London
✟64,205.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married

Eh, my wife's Christian and I'm an atheist. We get along just fine with different views because we appreciate each other' experience of life and trust that we're telling the truth. E.g. I appreciate that my wife feels the presence of God (whatever that may be), but I don't personally believe that that experience connects to a divine creator. If I felt the same thing as her I might believe differently, but I don't so *shrugs*. Doesn't mean I want to destroy her belief - I'd like to know the truth of it all just as much as she does. Interfaith relations are easy, it just takes respect and kindness.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums