Sheffield
✟7,787.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Today ive sadly missed Church due to my trains been cancelled from my village and my own stupidity.

I thought id ask: is there a story of how you came to be a Christian or have begun to seek Christ? Ive always been intrigued by how others came to Christ!

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Today ive sadly missed Church due to my trains been cancelled from my village and my own stupidity.

I thought id ask: is there a story of how you came to be a Christian or have begun to seek Christ? Ive always been intrigued by how others came to Christ!
Welcome to the forums. I hope you hear lots of stories and find friendship and fellowship.

I have posted this in another thread, but it is the story of my introduction to God...my journey since has been a long and twisting one, but here is my initial story:

"I met God on the banks of Lake Ontario as a troubled and depressed adolescent, passed the point of being suicidal as I had no energy even for that, wanting to die but not wanting to kill myself. As I sat there in the stillness of the day, under a magnificent oak tree, listening to the lapping of the waves, I heard a voice - from without or within, I am not sure, and since I was alone with nobody in the vicinity, I don't know if others would have heard it, but it was NOT my voice - that said "You are not alone. You are loved", and knew that Jesus was beside me. Both of these were about as far from my beliefs and emotions at that time. With this, came a sense of hope, and a sense of peace, and a newfound appreciation for life.

Unfortunately, as He withdrew from the immediacy of this encounter (not that He ever left, but my experience of Him was dulled), over time I walked away, drifted from the Church, drifted into worldliness and even dabbled with other religion (Buddhism) - all of this slowly over a matter of years. Before that, though , there was an attempt to walk in step with Him, and I don't know how to explain the role for which He used my youth pastor in that process - as a portrait of Himself, as a mirror to reflect Him in me, and in many ways...

And then, in time, He used a young woman co-worker to bring me back, as she invited me to a small house group meeting (since I was not yet ready to return to church), and in gentleness, love and friendship, He led me back through her, into the church, where, once again He made Himself known very directly to me. During a healing prayer service, where I sought healing for a foot problem, He let me know that "It is not your feet that need healing, but your heart", and soon I was completely enveloped by what I can only describe as a golden warm blanket of love, around me, on top, at the side, underneath, within, beyond, and where there are no words to explain, but that this was all encompassing and, oh, there are no words to describe it. This was my turning point. I was different now, blessed, loved and claimed by Him, and bathed in His Spirit.

How did this conclude? Well, like any experience, it ended. But it was and I was all different after that.

What did I do to keep Him from withdrawing? Forgive me, but I think that question has little meaning, because one of the things I learned, in a very concrete way so that now I can say truly that I "KNOW" it, is that God doesn't leave us or forsake us and He doesn't withdraw, though He might not be present in such an obvious and direct way. But my response to this was to turn to Him, to seek His will in my life on a daily basis (and that has led my wife and I through prayer, counsel with godly people and pastors, and Scripture, through remote areas of Canada into the USA, going places and being people that 25 years ago others would never have believed - I could go on, but I would be getting off topic a bit).

So I seek Him as a result of this...not to go after these experiences, as pleasant and life changing as they were...they were a metaphorical "kick in the pants" to wake me up...but now I seek a deeper understanding and communing with Him.

Those experiences were the exciting rapids in the shallow waters, but I'm looking for the stillness, quiet and, most importantly, the depth of the deep waters. I want to KNOW Him in as much fullness as is possible for my unworthy being to grasp...I want to follow Him meekly and adoringly, forever...I want Him.

I think I'll end here for now, hoping I've succeeded in communicating some of what seems impossible to put into words because they are too vague to describe the reality... "

Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0

Ttalkkugjil

Social Pastor
Mar 6, 2019
Suwon
✟34,572.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others

Good evening Lewis. I became a Christian by being baptized as an infant.

Upvote 0

Danielwright2311

Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2018
Sacorro NM
✟110,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced

I accepted Jesus as my Savior as a teen, he entered into me and converted me then, I was so lucky.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Good morning and welcome to CF. I'm afraid I'm missing Church today as well unfortunately.

Thank you for the opportunity to reflect on that question. I'm afraid my path is too long and twisting to relate very much of it. My first introduction to Jesus came when a neighbor asked if she could take me to Vacation Bible School with her son when I was 4. I've always been grateful to that woman. I didn't learn the theology, but I met a most wonderful Man through their stories and simply loved Him. Through my childhood I didn't realize it, but the comforting and guiding presence that was always there was actually outside myself. I struggled to read and understand the Bible on my own (in King James English) from about 7 or 8 years old. I started walking to Church when we lived in a city not long after (sometimes my Great Grandmother took me when I stayed with her in the country - she was the nearest generational devout person in my family), but I didn't begin to understand things until I was about 12. At that age I had a sort of conversion experience, and I remember how the world seemed to be filled with brightness and it was like walking on air for some time. I still didn't connect the presence up till then with God though.

Being a teenager was hard on my faith. More challenges came along in young adulthood, especially intellectual ones. Eventually there was a bleakness and despair and lack of meaning and flatness of love that took over my life. I saw it as it was growing and remember my thoughts about it. I never denied God in all of this, but I had many doubts. Finally I was overwhelmed with it all and simply cried out to God in desperation - "if You are really there, You've got to help me!" Instantly it was if the car I was sitting in was flooded with light, and a great sense of peace invaded me. All I can say is that I was instantly changed by that experience. I don't think it lasted very long. But certain things (I had been prone to road rage) disappeared and have never returned. The presence I took for granted (and thought was part of myself) as a child returned, much clearer and more immediate. I had an insatiable hunger for learning about God (though it's funny how long it took me to learn some fairly basic things - He was much more interested in me learning how to love and be healed from my past). And there the real twists started. I had an early period alone with God for some months, but then I knew I was supposed to go to Church. And I went through a number of them, learning different things. Looking back it was perfect - at times I wasn't ready to embrace this or that. And at times I made mistakes pushing ahead. It has only been over the last five years or so that things finally came together and I started to see how it all fits and it began to really make complete sense. I began to truly KNOW God as love too, which was life-changing. I have folks on this forum (many no longer here, but a few are) in part to thank for that.

And I wish I could be in Church today.

Welcome to the forums!

Upvote 0

Lewis David

Mar 24, 2019
Sheffield
✟7,787.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Good morning and welcome to CF. I'm afraid I'm missing Church today as well unfortunately.

Thank you for the opportunity to reflect on that question. I'm afraid my path is too long and twisting to relate very much of it. My first introduction to Jesus came when a neighbor asked if she could take me to Vacation Bible School with her son when I was 4. I've always been grateful to that woman. I didn't learn the theology, but I met a most wonderful Man through their stories and simply loved Him. Through my childhood I didn't realize it, but the comforting and guiding presence that was always there was actually outside myself. I struggled to read and understand the Bible on my own (in King James English) from about 7 or 8 years old. I started walking to Church when we lived in a city not long after (sometimes my Great Grandmother took me when I stayed with her in the country - she was the nearest generational devout person in my family), but I didn't begin to understand things until I was about 12. At that age I had a sort of conversion experience, and I remember how the world seemed to be filled with brightness and it was like walking on air for some time. I still didn't connect the presence up till then with God though.

Being a teenager was hard on my faith. More challenges came along in young adulthood, especially intellectual ones. Eventually there was a bleakness and despair and lack of meaning and flatness of love that took over my life. I saw it as it was growing and remember my thoughts about it. I never denied God in all of this, but I had many doubts. Finally I was overwhelmed with it all and simply cried out to God in desperation - "if You are really there, You've got to help me!" Instantly it was if the car I was sitting in was flooded with light, and a great sense of peace invaded me. All I can say is that I was instantly changed by that experience. I don't think it lasted very long. But certain things (I had been prone to road rage) disappeared and have never returned. The presence I took for granted (and thought was part of myself) as a child returned, much clearer and more immediate. I had an insatiable hunger for learning about God (though it's funny how long it took me to learn some fairly basic things - He was much more interested in me learning how to love and be healed from my past). And there the real twists started. I had an early period alone with God for some months, but then I knew I was supposed to go to Church. And I went through a number of them, learning different things. Looking back it was perfect - at times I wasn't ready to embrace this or that. And at times I made mistakes pushing ahead. It has only been over the last five years or so that things finally came together and I started to see how it all fits and it began to really make complete sense. I began to truly KNOW God as love too, which was life-changing. I have folks on this forum (many no longer here, but a few are) in part to thank for that.

And I wish I could be in Church today.

Welcome to the forums!

Dang thats quite a journey!

Its warming to see that others have gone through amazing experiences and conversions! Ill update my thread with my experience i think! Thankyou for helping em reflect.

Upvote 0

clayjars

Apr 18, 2018
ny
✟17,352.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married

I grew up in a very religious home and was a church-goer, not knowing the transforming power of Christ's blood. There was a deep emptiness in my life that nothing could fill. In college I realized how messed up I was. I was in ultimate, intentional rebellion against God. But just when I knew I deserved His wrath, I sensed His love and forgiveness. I rejected it because I didn't deserve it. That was when I realized what Jesus' death on the cross meant. I realized God loved me because His wrath was poured upon Jesus who took the punished I deserved. I was saved by grace alone. His love transformed my heart and my life. I've been walking with Jesus for 30 years and He is sweeter than ever before!

What is your story Lewis David? I would love to hear it :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums