catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,157,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
(Updated) Many have long known that vitamin D is crucial for good immune function. It's old knowledge. Basic, mainstream stuff.

Having enough vitamin D turns out to have a significant good effect for those that get Covid (which may be unsurprising, but there's more detail below).

But I did learn a few key new things, such as just how much, and the other vitamin needed with it, in this Campbell video below.

(don't miss that in the video, Campbell points out that for the studied levels of vitamin D (typically 4,000 iu for normal weight adult) as shown to create the most immune response, it's important to also have adequate vitamin K2 to help the calcium go to the right place, especially if you are taking calcium supplements, over time, so don't miss that detail if you intend to take vitamin D at that level. (see post 18 if you want more detail)
I'd not take D at that level for long without getting the needed vitamin k2 if I was getting a lot of calcium (it's a balance thing, and the risk is having a lot of calcium and D without enough K2 going out of balance and then not going to the intended bone, but instead as blood vessel deposits); my own typical vitamin D supplement has been just 1,000 iu, but in winter we need more to be ready for viral infections like Covid and for vitamin D we need to have that level before an infection, as vitamin D has a lead time to have effect. Also zinc has long been known to fight colds, and this would help with Covid, and doesn't need a lead time and can be taken to good effect when an infection is detected.

additional effects and details, and more about the K2 needed with those levels of vitamin D, and the surprising natural levels of vitamin D in hunter gatherer tribes --

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: LeGato

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,157,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's unfortunate that K is hard to find or is often mixed with D but for a ridiculous price for 30 capsules. Campbell seems content with 2000 IU's. His reasoning and comparisons according to skin seem sound also.
Well, you can get the K2 from some easy to find foods, so that is the quick (and not expensive) way one could do just on the next trip to the grocery store for food.

Lemme find where that is in the video....just a min...

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟306,520.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Thanks I get mine from fermenting cauliflower florets and /or carrots in brine. Here is a list of foods that are specifically K2 foods. For instance not all cheese or dairy contains adequate K2. The Top 20 Foods High In Vitamin K2 (Menaquinone)

• Useful
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,157,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
At 12:05 in the 2nd video Campbell reports the conclusion from a paper that it's because of using calcium supplements (which many older people do, trying to avoid bone loss), that's why then also taking with those large amounts of calcium also high levels of vitamin D, both of these 2 together, then K2 becomes important for those individuals to remain in balance -- to help the calcium go into bone, instead of blood vessel deposits. Ergo, without that calcium supplementation, then you'd presumably not have to worry about that effect, though you'd want to be sure you had just ordinary good nutritional (from foods) K2 anyway, for the long run.

• Agree
Reactions: timothyu
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟650,580.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
It's unfortunate that K is hard to find or is often mixed with D but for a ridiculous price for 30 capsules. Campbell seems content with 2000 IU's. His reasoning and comparisons according to skin seem sound also.

Canned spinach is very high in Vit. K

• Useful
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟650,580.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Wow! I knew there was something I was craving. Where's my butter?

Yeah, I don't like it either. But I found a way around that by putting it in a blender along with other super-healthy things I don't like. When blended together, it's not so bad. Just add some water to allow everything to stir up into a drink.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟306,520.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
it's because of using calcium supplements (which many older people do, trying to avoid bone loss), that's why then also taking with those large amounts of calcium also high levels of vitamin D, both of these 2 together, then K2 becomes important for those individuals to remain in balance
Yes, interesting how few doctors will tell you about the K2 which diverts calcium from depositing and diverts to bone, and only recommend the calcium and D.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟289,335.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
This was from July 2020 on vitamin D and the immune system; they were hypothesizing what the OP is stating. (putting this by way of confirming, I've been on board w the OP and have been taking and recommending since I listened to this - made sense to me. Adds some more detail as to the 'why', I suspect, but I haven't listened to the full vids of the OP, just wanted to offer some more of the same perspective from another source)

Invisible Allies | Radiolab | WNYC Studios

Upvote 0

LeGato

LCMS/Crypto-Amish
Nov 17, 2021
Neuschwabenland
✟14,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Many have long known that vitamin D is crucial for good immune function. It's old knowledge. Basic, mainstream stuff.

Having enough vitamin D turns out to have a significant good effect for those that get Covid (which may be unsurprising, but there's more detail below).

But I did learn a few key new things, such as just how much, and the other vitamin needed with it, in this Campbell video below.

(don't miss that in the video, Campbell points out that for the studied levels of vitamin D (such as up to even 4,000 iu) as shown to create the most immune response, it's important to also have adequate vitamin K2 to help the calcium go to the right place, especially if you are taking calcium supplements, over time, so don't miss that detail if you intend to take vitamin D at that level.
I'd not take D at that level for long without getting the needed vitamin k2 if I was getting a lot of calcium (it's a balance thing, and the risk is having a lot of calcium and D without enough K2 going out of balance and then not going to the intended bone, but instead as blood vessel deposits); my own typical vitamin D is just 1,000 iu, but I'd immediately take more temporarily (the 4,000iu) as needed according to a risk like being exposed or getting covid, or even the flu for that matter)

additional effects and details, and more about the K2 needed with those levels of vitamin D, and the surprising natural levels of vitamin D in hunter gatherer tribes --

Agreed. Get out in the sun often. It's why in some places, they refuse to let people leave their house but for an hour a day.

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Many have long known that vitamin D is crucial for good immune function. It's old knowledge. Basic, mainstream stuff.

I dont know about K but do know when taking D you should take it with magnesium

• Useful
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,157,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Agreed. Get out in the sun often. It's why in some places, they refuse to let people leave their house but for an hour a day.
heh, depending on how well your skin handles sunlight, as light skinned people can burn pretty fast, but also get vitamin D faster in the sun.

e.g. -- " It has been shown that the white-skinned population of the UK are able to meet their vitamin D needs with short, daily lunchtime exposures to sunlight. "
etc.
Colour Counts: Sunlight and Skin Type as Drivers of Vitamin D Deficiency at UK Latitudes

But here 'needs' I'd guess would be referring to those minimally adequate levels probably, like enough to avoid stuff like rickets, bone problems, but not necessarily enough (depending on amount of sun and also on other sources, etc.) to be optimum for immune function. For instance in the article: "10 μg" is referred to, and that's equal to 400 iu, but in the recent research highlighted from Campbell, more like 4000 iu is needed to get to the immune optimum level.

Reactions: LeGato
Upvote 0

LeGato

LCMS/Crypto-Amish
Nov 17, 2021
Neuschwabenland
✟14,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
heh, depending on how well your skin handles sunlight, as light skinned people can burn pretty fast, but also get vitamin D faster in the sun.

e.g. -- " It has been shown that the white-skinned population of the UK are able to meet their vitamin D needs with short, daily lunchtime exposures to sunlight. "
etc.
Colour Counts: Sunlight and Skin Type as Drivers of Vitamin D Deficiency at UK Latitudes

But here 'needs' I'd guess would be referring to those minimally adequate levels probably, like enough to avoid stuff like rickets, bone problems, but not necessarily enough (depending on amount of sun and also on other sources, etc.) to be optimum for immune function. For instance in the article: "10 μg" is referred to, and that's equal to 400 iu, but in the recent research highlighted from Campbell, more like 4000 iu is needed to get to the immune optimum level.

I do believe...and i could be wrong...that about 5 minutes in sunlight is an adequate source of Vit. D. Doesn't have to be long, either way.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,157,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I dont know about K but do know when taking D you should take it with magnesium
Yes, this was interesting: Magnesium & Vitamin D: Benefits, Dosages & Why Together? | imaware™

And so while I have a varied diet that's fairly healthy, I'll check to see that it has food based magnesium as I need.

I notice that almonds for instance are high in magnesium, and it happens I eat them several times a week --
Magnesium-Rich Food Information
ah, and dark chocolate. :) But there are a lot of food sources, so many might be able to just be sure they eat some of these they normally eat at times. Also, I tend to eat eggs a few times a week, and I noticed they have vitamin D, so that the 1,000 iu D3 I take is only one source for me in the winter. (no wonder I tend to not get sick much)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,157,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I do believe...and i could be wrong...that about 5 minutes in sunlight is an adequate source of Vit. D. Doesn't have to be long, either way.
In that article, at UK latitutdes, for light skinned persons, it would take 25 minutes to only get to the lowest bare minimum level to avoid the variety of other (not the immune system alone, but instead the other bad) deficiency effects. But that would not be enough to get the stronger immune system level, as you can see above in post #14 (it's short by a factor of 10 in that instance). So, just from my 1,000iu (cheap and widely available) D3 I take, I get what would require I suppose like at least a full hour of winter sun daily, to equal the 1,000 iu pill, but I also eat eggs and some other foods that have vitamin D3.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,157,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
4,000 iu D needed -- and it's good also ahead of time, in addition to during an illness -- unlike zinc supplement that can have good effect after infection -- for best effect, and a 100 mcg K2 is recommended for that level

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: timothyu
Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟349,385.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Did anyone here mention that is why covid hit the elderly so bad in nursing homes. Because they don't take vitamin d and are very seldom in the sun. Nursing homes should make that a regimen, vitamin d every day.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
Canned spinach is very high in Vit. K

K1, not K2. K1 has to be converted by the body into K2.

4,000 iu D needed -- and it's good also ahead of time, in addition to during an illness -- unlike zinc supplement that can have good effect after infection -- for best effect, and a 100 mcg K2 is recommended for that level

At one time I was low in vitamin D. I had to take tens of thousands of units of vitamin D2 every week for a month.

1,000-2,000 should be safe for most people. 4,000 can lead to unsafe blood levels if not monitored by a doctor.

If in doubt, it's best to see a physician to get a blood test. The consequences of too much or too little vitamin D are both bad.

Upvote 0