Virginia
✟151,162.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have carried since 1980 when I turned 21 and was assigned to the DOD. in 42 years of gun ownership, my weapon has killed exactly no one. I was fortunate to not have the need to draw it except five times on duty and three times through the years since. In those three times a rape was stopped, and two violent assaults were ended.

Suicide is horrible - the act is the issue more so than the instrumentation. Death by asphyxiation is the second highest method of ending a life - shall we regulate rope?

Hemp is regulated. Guns not so much my friend.

I'm confused with this reply to my post declaring I enjoy reading experiences of others. Why so defensive?...Never mind.

Upvote 0

Brihaha

May 6, 2021
Virginia
✟151,162.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I had hoped you would enjoy reading of my experiences also

Oh yeah haha. Sorry about that. Your reply did remind me of this time I took a big hunting knife from this drunk kid at a party. I don't hang around those parties anymore. Kids pull guns now and I don't need to be around that scene.

I'm certainly glad you could help out in the violent assault and rape episodes. It takes courage to stand up for others and help in those situations. Well done. Peace

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟365,720.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
The OP asked:

I responded:

it is a legitimate observation and question.

Schools - gun free zones
Bars - gun free zones
Most work places - gun free zones.

Eliminate those three elements and how many mass shootings happening other than gun free zones?

That is a viable reason why twice as many end with good guys hands rather than guns.
The question is whether you read the study ronsee if this was taken into account somewhere since you made the suggested thr accusation

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟319,876.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
While I don't know if this necessarily torpedoes the "good guy with a gun" theory - because the study doesn't say how many times there has been an armed bystander at an active shooting (and I don't think that's a statistic that can be determined with any degree of accuracy) - it does lend credence to the idea that a "good guy with a gun" is not necessary to stop a "bad guy with a gun", which is an angle that I have seen pushed as well.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟699,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The question is whether you read the study ronsee if this was taken into account somewhere since you made the suggested thr accusation
Huh? Your spell check isn’t working.

And I quoted the link verbatim. Hard to do that without reading it, don’t ya think?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,096,172.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
It seems to indicate those without guns are the courageous ones.
Personally I wouldn't go to a gun fight with bare hands.

I'm not looking to collect the Darwin Award for Courage,

Reactions: hislegacy
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Any thoughts on that?​
Most of them probably were not carrying at the time, or they would have just shot them, and it probably would have been over with/ended a lot sooner with people brave enough to do that.

My guess is that most of them were American, etc.

Just some of my thoughts on that, etc...

God Bless!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟319,876.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,096,172.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Yet many of us enjoy reading and learning about others' experiences. I know I do.
Enjoy!

Dec. 8, Lacombe, Louisiana: Four armed intruders broke into a residence and assaulted the homeowner, police said. The homeowner was able to grab and shoot his own firearm, killing two attackers and wounding the others, who now face a plethora of felony charges. The homeowner’s 4-year-old daughter was injured in the crossfire, but was expected to make a full recovery.

11 Cases of Defensive Gun Use as 2020 Came to a Close

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,096,172.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Do they not have Google where you're from? I searched for "alerrt active shooter" and it was the second result (the first result being the ALERRT website): All Active Attacks

Interesting!

I wasn't aware that the intent was to disarm police. I know that many have worked to de-fund them.

Resolution.​

We consider an event to be resolved when the attacker stopped actively trying to kill people. We split the resolution of the event into two broad time frames. These were whether the event was resolved before the police arrived on scene or after. In the cases where we were able to make this determination, the attack was over before the police arrived about half of the time (i.e., 266 times the event ended prior to law enforcement arrival, and 198 times it ended after law enforcement arrival).

Thanks for sharing!

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Most of them probably were not carrying at the time, or they would have just shot them, and it probably would have been over with/ended a lot sooner with people brave enough to do that.

My guess is that most of them were American, etc.

Just some of my thoughts on that, etc...

God Bless!
The same people you are trying to eliminate or get rid of/disarm/cancel today, are the very same ones who can protect you tomorrow.

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟141,229.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
The same people you are trying to eliminate or get rid of/disarm/cancel today, are the very same ones who can protect you tomorrow.

God Bless!
I would have a very difficult time if I had this level of distrust of my fellow citizens.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I would have a very difficult time if I had this level of distrust of my fellow citizens.
You never know what the .001% can do in any society, and if you trust them all, then that is your own stupidity, etc...

Taking guns away just gives them maybe a less easier way to express themselves, but they will still exist, and will find other ways, and in the meantime, you have a totally disarmed populace unable to defend or protect themselves, etc...

God Bless!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SarahsKnight

Jesus Christ is this Knight's truth.
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2014
Magnolia, AR
✟990,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Because everyone had been drinking I am so grateful that there were no other guns involved. My son, who was and is a great communicator, started talking to the 5th guy. He calmed him down. They were able to resolve the differences and soon afterwards the fifth guy left.
Well I am not proud that a bunch of 19-year-olds were drinking, I was very proud of my son for keeping his cool and negotiating a happy ending to this mess.

And in that case your son is a genuine example of a hero whom i wish more Christians appeared to aspire to these days, rather than their believing that heroes are made from tough-talking macho men who stand ready to whip out a gun and kill him some bad guys during an escalated situation.

I know I may sound sarcastic there at the end, but I really do think that your son is to be admired for his character in how he handled that, without violence.

• Agree
Reactions: Brihaha
Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟884,993.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Twice as many mass shooting events end with Good Guy's hands than good guys with guns.​
Any thoughts on that?​

249 active shooters stopping before police arrived doesn’t mean that they ended by unarmed people’s interference. It’s a skillful way of building a false narrative. How many of those were actually stopped by unarmed bystanders interfering and how many of those ended by the shooter fleeing, or the shooter committing suicide, or the shooter stopping because of his own conscience, the shooter not firing his weapon at people, or any other number of reasons? What a crock of nonsense.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟884,993.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
After our real-life experience, related above, I am more convinced than ever. I could also mention that we know several people who committed suicide with guns. My husband had two IT employees, one going through a divorce, one suffering from depression, who shot themselves to death. My son had a high school acquaintance who shot himself because he didn't get an A and a girl refused to go to the Valentine dance. (I later learned from his neighbor that an older brother had also shot himself.) Friend's brother-in-law...so many needless deaths.

A water aerobics buddy had a drug-addicted son who shot and killed his estranged wife and then himself. Nephews had friends who were killed by hunters who didn't see them in their camouflage gear.

Son had a promising high school student who kept up with him. He joined the Marines. Got PTSD. Committed suicide.
I never met anyone who saved themselves (or anyone else) with a gun.

Your son’s situation didn’t involve an active shooter, involved a stupid kid that realized his mistake and decided not to ruin his life over someone calling him a name. That’s a completely different situation from someone who has actually pulled the trigger and intentionally shot people.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟884,993.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I am utterly confounded by the critical response to this article.
Running away from data provided repeating burden of proof; As though what is commonly provided on chriatian forums gets any kind of citation....

For example:

Didn't read the study
Didn't cite own sources.

Bur kudos b2cause at Least he was willing to address the content od the study.

Do we really need to provide sources to support what is obvious? What percentage of people do you see in the general public actually carrying a firearm? What percentage of people you know actually carry a firearm? This is common knowledge to everyone thru everyday observation. Your intentional ignorance of this just shows your biased dishonesty towards accepting the truth.

Upvote 0