Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/08/0...-back-to-school-event-at-park-police-say.html

Florida armed bystander stops gunman at crowded back-to-school event at park, police say

Travis Fedschun By Travis Fedschun | Fox News

An armed bystander shot a man who opened fire at a Florida park filled with over 100 people -- including children -- for a Saturday back-to-school cookout, officials said.

The Titusville Police Department said in a news release the man was involved in a fistfight with another person at the Issac

Campbell Park and left around 5:20 p.m. -- only to return with a gun minutes later and start shooting.

A bystander, who was lawfully licensed to carry a firearm, then shot the gunman.

“We are extremely grateful that nobody else was injured in this incident,” Deputy Chief Todd Hutchinson said in a statement.

“This suspect opened fire at a crowded public park. This could have been so much worse.”

The shooting took place Saturday at the Isaac Campbell Park. (Titusville Police)

The gunman, whose firearm was recovered at the scene, was airlifted to a local hospital with life-threatening injuries. No one else was injured during the shootout.

A DJ whose family organized the event at the park told Florida Today he was standing under a pavilion when he heard at least a dozen shots ring out.

Dwight Harvey was streaming the event live on his Facebook page when the shooting started. Children and parents could be seen in the video going through supplies when the shots suddenly rang out, WFTV reported.

“I was like, who lit firecrackers? I turned around and just said, ‘Oh no, he’s got a gun, he’s got a gun,’” Harvey told the newspaper.

Harvey told the news outlet he was thankful the bystander was in the right place at the right time to quickly end what could have been an even worse situation.

“This was standing your ground, in a situation like this with kids involved; not what you saw in Clearwater -- that was murder,” Harvey told Florida Today, referring to a controversial shooting last month over a handicapped parking space that's sparked protests.

The bystander who shot the suspect waited for officers and has been fully cooperative with the investigation, police said.

Neither the shooter nor the bystander have been identified.

Matthews said no charges are expected to be filed against the bystander, as his actions were "within the law based on the preliminary investigation."

2PhiloVoid

Get my point, Web-Maker ???
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,131,179.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/08/0...-back-to-school-event-at-park-police-say.html

Florida armed bystander stops gunman at crowded back-to-school event at park, police say

Travis Fedschun By Travis Fedschun | Fox News

An armed bystander shot a man who opened fire at a Florida park filled with over 100 people -- including children -- for a Saturday back-to-school cookout, officials said.

The Titusville Police Department said in a news release the man was involved in a fistfight with another person at the Issac

Campbell Park and left around 5:20 p.m. -- only to return with a gun minutes later and start shooting.

A bystander, who was lawfully licensed to carry a firearm, then shot the gunman.

“We are extremely grateful that nobody else was injured in this incident,” Deputy Chief Todd Hutchinson said in a statement.

“This suspect opened fire at a crowded public park. This could have been so much worse.”

The shooting took place Saturday at the Isaac Campbell Park. (Titusville Police)

The gunman, whose firearm was recovered at the scene, was airlifted to a local hospital with life-threatening injuries. No one else was injured during the shootout.

A DJ whose family organized the event at the park told Florida Today he was standing under a pavilion when he heard at least a dozen shots ring out.

Dwight Harvey was streaming the event live on his Facebook page when the shooting started. Children and parents could be seen in the video going through supplies when the shots suddenly rang out, WFTV reported.

“I was like, who lit firecrackers? I turned around and just said, ‘Oh no, he’s got a gun, he’s got a gun,’” Harvey told the newspaper.

Harvey told the news outlet he was thankful the bystander was in the right place at the right time to quickly end what could have been an even worse situation.

“This was standing your ground, in a situation like this with kids involved; not what you saw in Clearwater -- that was murder,” Harvey told Florida Today, referring to a controversial shooting last month over a handicapped parking space that's sparked protests.

The bystander who shot the suspect waited for officers and has been fully cooperative with the investigation, police said.

Neither the shooter nor the bystander have been identified.

Matthews said no charges are expected to be filed against the bystander, as his actions were "within the law based on the preliminary investigation."

Yep, that's what needs to happen sometimes when loose cannons go out of control.

Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Sure is a good thing the good guy had one of those ole awful, wretched, horrible, terrible, harmful, killing machines on him when the bad guy showed up. Look how many babies were saved by this one very smart individual with a good heart and some common sense :]

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Sure is a good thing the good guy had one of those ole awful, wretched, horrible, terrible, harmful, killing machines on him when the bad guy showed up. Look how many babies were saved by this one very smart individual with a good heart and some common sense :]

Amen.

Upvote 0

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟250,441.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
While it may be true that a “good guy with a gun” can occasionally save the day, I suggest that consideration of all the relevant data shows that thus happens relatively infrequently.

More importantly, what data there is suggests that gun ownership actually increases your risk of death by gun.

In short, this a little like the story of how not wearing a seat belt saved someone’s life. That may well be true but, on the whole, wearing a seat belt is the better choice.

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟554,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Definitely the best possible outcome in a situation like this. That bystander is a hero and deserves to be hailed as such.

That said.... The existence of a good guy with a gun does not mean the problem of bad guys with guns has been solved.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
While it may be true that a “good guy with a gun” can occasionally save the day, I suggest that consideration of all the relevant data shows that thus happens relatively infrequently.

More importantly, what data there is suggests that gun ownership actually increases your risk of death by gun.

In short, this a little like the story of how not wearing a seat belt saved someone’s life. That may well be true but, on the whole, wearing a seat belt is the better choice.

This account of events and the lives that were saved, would disagree with what you posted.

Guns are not evil.

The people who intend them for evil are.

(Same as trucks. I guess one who intends evil can use just about anything for evil, including knives, fists, bottles, pepper spray, fires, and acid, etc.)

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
No one ever said they are.

i agree.

They aren't.

Thank GOD for guns for protection and to stop a would-be bloody slaughter in its tracks.

Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate

We need a BOO button. lol Sorry friend but I wholeheartedly disagree.

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟554,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
i agree.

They aren't.
Though, people can be.

Thank GOD for guns for protection and to stop a would-be bloody slaughter in its tracks.
Why thank God? Guns were invented by people. Depraved, flawed and fallible human beings in a fallen world invented guns to deal with other depraved, flawed and fallible human beings.

I think we can come up with better tools to correct human behavior.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Though, people can be.

Why thank God? Guns were invented by people. Depraved, flawed and fallible human beings in a fallen world invented guns to deal with other depraved, flawed and fallible human beings.

I think we can come up with better tools to correct human behavior.

Well, i do. It's what i do. I pray about ev'ry thing. I even pray for my cat and turtle. You KNOW i'm gonna thank God for THIS, yes?

As a matter of fact, i'm not just thanking God for these lives that were saved quickly and skillfully, but celebrating this wunnerful news, GB.

Praise God!!! :clap:

Upvote 0

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟250,441.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
We need a BOO button. lol Sorry friend but I wholeheartedly disagree.
Are you willing to discuss what actual data has been compiled relative to these issues? For example, Scientific American recently published an article claiming that gun control really does work, at least on the whole.

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟554,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
I was thinking more like better mental healthcare and increased access to it.
I agree we need more mental health awareness, I do not want to derail this thread but it is amazing to me how many people suffer from mental health issues

Upvote 0