Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
It's amazing just how many genealogy sites are out there (it's also amazing how much I'm having to backspace to spell "genealogy" correctly!^_^). The painfully long genealogies in the Bible give story cues, but my take-away from all the "son of [insert weird name here]" is simply, Family is important to God. And if it's important enough for God, it's important enough for me!

What I'm looking for is this:

• A database that goes back to Europe. Being of the WWI-era Polish immigrants, my family has not been in this nation long enough for some American sites to be useful.
  • Something that links together family trees--most of my family is Slavic (from a region in Eastern Europe), but there's a Scandinavian branch that I know nothing about. Searching "Kromkowski" will surely give Polish details, but would it connect to my Grandma's Danish/Swedish family tree? I want it to!
  • The ability to upload pictures--my other Grandma has a lot of old pictures, including the first Slovaks of my family to walk off the boat in Ellis Island. She knows all their names & how they're related to each other, and I'd like to find a site that lets me add photographs with family names. Taking pictures of the pictures & sending them online for others in the family to see would be much appreciated.

Naturally, a free site would be nice, but I might be able to convince my library to pay for a subscription? Or I could do it on my own, but I work at a library, and a good enough site that lets all this happen could be worth giving access to the rest of the community.

Thank you!

• Prayers
Reactions: Amittai

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
www.ancestry.com is the one I use.
I was able to go back 12 generations, so it was very helpful and interesting to see how many parts of history that my family participated in.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟562,839.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have been on ancestry.com for 18 years. My tree has 29000 souls, and goes back about as far as you want to go. My tree is completely filled out to the 6th generation, and in many lines all the way back to the 12th generation. You do have to pay though. I pay about 150 bucks every 6 months. If you want deep roots back to Europe, that is what it will cost you. If you only want US back to the 1600s, then that will be cheaper. If you have a couple grandparents names and birthdates, I may be able to construct a small tree fairly quicky. It has become somewhat of a hobby. Should be able to take you back to your OI (original immigrant).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Unofficial Reverand Alex

Pray in silence...God speaks softly
Site Supporter
Dec 22, 2017
The Mystical Lands of Rural Indiana
Visit site
✟526,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
www.ancestry.com is the one I use.
I was able to go back 12 generations, so it was very helpful and interesting to see how many parts of history that my family participated in.

I have been on ancestry.com for 18 years. My tree has 29000 souls, and goes back about as far as you want to go. My tree is completely filled out to the 6th generation, and in many lines all the way back to the 12th generation. You do have to pay though. I pay about 150 bucks every 6 months. If you want deep roots back to Europe, that is what it will cost you. If you only want US back to the 1600s, then that will be cheaper. If you have a couple grandparents names and birthdates, I may be able to construct a small tree fairly quicky. It has become somewhat of a hobby. Should be able to take you back to your OI (original immigrant).
Do you know if Ancestry lets you upload pictures for the family tree?

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟562,839.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics