Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Jesus was crucified at a place called Golgotha on a Friday before the Passover that was on Shabaht/Sabbath that year (Matt. 27:33, Mark 15:22, John 19:17). He hung on the cross while Passover lambs were being slaughtered in the Temple (Joachim Jeremias, "Jerusalem in the Time of Jesus").

The Greek Orthodox Church of the Holy Sepulchre is one traditional site of the crucifixion and nearby tomb. During the late 19th century, General Charles Gordan of Great Britain tried to go to the Church of the Holy Sepulchre, but was denied access. While walking around the vicinity of Jerusalem he saw a skull shaped hill outside of the Damascus Gate and Turkish walls of Jerusalem and thought that it is Golgotha. Golgotha is from the Aramaic "Gulgulta," meaning "place of the skull." This skull shaped hill near the East Jerusalem bus station is also a traditional site of the crucifixion.

Photo of "Skull Hill" NE of the Damascus Gate c. 1900:
http://dqhall.com/israelphotosII/gordons_calvary_1900.jpg

Kerensa

Apr 20, 2017
Kent
✟95,891.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I've seen that place too, friend, a few years ago on a tour of the Holy Land. There's an ancient tomb close by that is now open to visitors as the Garden Tomb — there's no proof that it was the actual place where Jesus was crucified and buried, but a number of details about the site are close to the details given in the Bible, and unlike the much-built-over Holy Sepulchre, it gives one a clearer sense of what the real location of Jesus' death, burial and resurrection might have looked like at that time. It's a very quiet, beautiful, special and I would say holy place. I hope to go there again some day.

Wishing you and all on here a blessed and holy Good Friday and Easter Sunday.

Reactions: dqhall
Upvote 0

Kerensa

Apr 20, 2017
Kent
✟95,891.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
No, He was crucified on a WEDNESDAY. There's simply NO WAY to get three days & three nights from Friday to Sunday AM.

I've read the reasoning behind this and I do agree the Wednesday - Sunday calculation makes a lot more sense when it's explained. But even if the traditional dating we celebrate is wrong, I honestly don't think God is too fussed. :) The Easter holiday commemorates the most momentous and important events in history and that's surely what matters most. Wishing you a happy and holy Easter as well.

Reactions: JustRachel
Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've read the reasoning behind this and I do agree the Wednesday - Sunday calculation makes a lot more sense when it's explained. But even if the traditional dating we celebrate is wrong, I honestly don't think God is too fussed. :) The Easter holiday commemorates the most momentous and important events in history and that's surely what matters most. Wishing you a happy and holy Easter as well.
The Hebrew day begins at sundown and ends the following sundown. One town in Israel sounds a siren to let townspeople know the sun set and it is Sabbath so they will not do any work. Jesus was crucified on Friday the preparation day for both the Sabbath and the special Sabbath of Passover when Jews were to do no work. If he had been arrested during the Passover, it would have been a violation of Jewish law. Part of Friday is one day. Saturday (Sabbath) was the next day. Part of Sunday was the third day. It was not three full days. He was dead at least part of each of three days. The tomb was empty on the third day Sunday.

Reactions: JustRachel
Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,010,444.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Jesus was crucified at a place called Golgotha on a Friday before the Passover that was on Shabaht/Sabbath that year (Matt. 27:33, Mark 15:22, John 19:17). He hung on the cross while Passover lambs were being slaughtered in the Temple (Joachim Jeremias, "Jerusalem in the Time of Jesus").

The Greek Orthodox Church of the Holy Sepulchre is one traditional site of the crucifixion and nearby tomb. During the late 19th century, General Charles Gordan of Great Britain tried to go to the Church of the Holy Sepulchre, but was denied access. While walking around the vicinity of Jerusalem he saw a skull shaped hill outside of the Damascus Gate and Turkish walls of Jerusalem and thought that it is Golgotha. Golgotha is from the Aramaic "Gulgulta," meaning "place of the skull." This skull shaped hill near the East Jerusalem bus station is also a traditional site of the crucifixion.

Photo of "Skull Hill" NE of the Damascus Gate c. 1900:
http://dqhall.com/israelphotosII/gordons_calvary_1900.jpg

I have read about that too. Very interesting

• Agree
Reactions: dqhall
Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
No, He was crucified on a WEDNESDAY. There's simply NO WAY to get three days & three nights from Friday to Sunday AM.

Buried Thursday before evening. Day 1 (partial day) Keep in min Jewish thinking does not require all 12 hours of it to be called a day. Any Jewish scholar can attest to this.

In grave thursday night. Night 1.

Friday day. Day 2.
Friday night. Night 2.

Saturday day. Day 3.
Saturday night. Night 3.

Rose Early Sunday having been in the grave 3 days and 3 nights.

Obviously putting him in the grave on Wednesday cannot work for a Sunday resurrection because it adds a day and a night to the math.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The Hebrew day begins at sundown and ends the following sundown. One town in Israel sounds a siren to let townspeople know the sun set and it is Sabbath so they will not do any work. Jesus was crucified on Friday the preparation day for both the Sabbath and the special Sabbath of Passover when Jews were to do no work. If he had been arrested during the Passover, it would have been a violation of Jewish law. Part of Friday is one day. Saturday (Sabbath) was the next day. Part of Sunday was the third day. It was not three full days.

That only has two nights though

Friday day- day 1
Friday night- night 1

Saturday day- day 2
Saturday night- night 2

Sunday day- day 3
No third night.

The math only works if he died on thursday not Friday.

We also cannot count Sunday as a day because he rose on Sunday, not laying dead on Sunday day. By the time it was Sunday, the 3 days and nights were complete.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That only has two nights though

Friday day- day 1
Friday night- night 1

Saturday day- day 2
Saturday night- night 2

Sunday day- day 3
No third night.

The math only works if he died on thursday not Friday.

We also cannot count Sunday as a day because he rose on Sunday, not laying dead on Sunday day. By the time it was Sunday, the 3 days and nights were complete.
If you count Passover as a special Sabbath and think that was on Friday, then you might conclude he may have been crucified and buried Thursday. Thursday day part of one day. Thursday night one full night. Friday day second day in the earth. Friday night second night in the earth. Saturday day third day in the earth. Saturday night third night in the tomb. He arose early on the first day of the week (Mark 16:9). Since the day began at sunset, he might have risen on Saturday night as that was early in their 24 day. For a day can be 12 hours of daylight or a 24 hour calendar date.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
If you count Passover as a special Sabbath and think that was on Friday, then you might conclude he may have been crucified and buried Thursday. Thursday day part of one day. Thursday night one full night. Friday day second day in the earth. Friday night second night in the earth. Saturday day third day in the earth. Saturday night third night in the tomb. He arose early on the first day of the week (Mark 16:9). Since the day began at sunset, he might have risen on Saturday night as that was early in their 24 day. For a day can be 12 hours of daylight or a 24 hour calendar date.

Like I said, a Friday death and burial just doesn't work. It only works from a Thursday, then Friday and Saturday--3 days and nights with a Sunday resurrection.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

robycop3

Sep 16, 2014
✟107,962.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The Hebrew day begins at sundown and ends the following sundown. One town in Israel sounds a siren to let townspeople know the sun set and it is Sabbath so they will not do any work. Jesus was crucified on Friday the preparation day for both the Sabbath and the special Sabbath of Passover when Jews were to do no work. If he had been arrested during the Passover, it would have been a violation of Jewish law. Part of Friday is one day. Saturday (Sabbath) was the next day. Part of Sunday was the third day. It was not three full days. He was dead at least part of each of three days. The tomb was empty on the third day Sunday.

Still trying to get three days & three nights from Friday to Sunday AM?
IMPOSSIBLE!
Jesus was ALREADY RISEN on Sunday AM.

And the first time passover began on a Friday from 26-34 AD was in 34 AD, past the year when Jesus was crucified.

Upvote 0