Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2004
✟341,456.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Hi, all.

Y'all observe the Feast of the Annunciation on March 25th, right? This year, that is Good Friday for the western churches, so I was just wondering if that changes your services at all, or how it's handled. For instance, in Orthodoxy I've heard that it's a really special thing if the Assumption occurs on Pascha (which is rare, but can happen on the Old Calendar), so I was just curious about this.

Thanks, and I hope you are all having a blessed Lent.

Mary

Last edited:

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,295,075.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
WOW ! that made me open my eyes rather wider than usual - so off I went to Google

AND

got this

The Annunciation would normally fall on Friday, March 25, 2016. That day, however, is Good Friday, and Annunciation is never celebrated during Holy Week. It is transferred, therefore, to Monday, April 4, 2016, the first open day after Easter Sunday.

from http://catholicism.about.com/od/2016-Calendar/f/When-Is-Annunciation-2016.htm

Last year for us Julian folk it was on Great and Holy Tuesday and it was Celebrated then

Upvote 0

Mary of Bethany

Only one thing is needful.
Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2004
✟341,456.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Gotcha. That makes sense. I need to find out what the Orthodox rubrics call for in that situation. I've heard that most other Feasts/Saints would be moved, but Annunciation is the (only?) exception. So I'm not sure what would happen for Good Friday.

Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,295,075.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I'll ask my GodPapa if you like Mary ;)

Fortunately it doesn't affect us this year ;)

Hmmm - you could try looking at the Calendar for the UGCC Cathedral in Philly - I know they are Gregorian Calendar . The Eparchy of Stamford is as well - but as yet they haven't put up on their Website the Propers of Great and Holy Week

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums