Good christian science fiction or fantasy story?

shadowderkopnedeyes

Aug 28, 2006
Alabama
✟7,669.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Have you read any Ted Dekker - its is not exactly either of those catigories..

but the Circle Trilogy of his is very close.. it is more like a true scifi-fantasy .. mix.. very good stuff

Black
Red
White

----------------------------

I have some others at home, but I have not read them.. so I can't recommend them .. sorry ..

Upvote 0

melvino

Aug 19, 2006
All Over the USA
Visit site
✟15,168.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hey folks,

The "Space Trilogy" by C.S. Lewis rules.

"Out of the Silent Planet"
"Perelandra"
"That Hideous Strength"

Good writing, good philosophy, and good science fiction. Me like.

His Narnia books are good fantasy, too, tho' they are written for kids. I don't care. They're good books.

--melvino

Upvote 0

Hishandmaiden

The Humble Servant
Supporter
Jan 11, 2002
Singapore
✟35,969.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Thanks. But I like something that is like wheel of time, but that is more christian-based and related. Wheel of time is too near the dark sides for me. I prefer a more harmless, christian-centred fantasy novels, which had a hero, an adventure and many books, along with complex story lines. But it is, otherwise, quite clean.

:)

Upvote 0

Citanul

Well, when exactly do you mean?
May 31, 2006
Cape Town, South Africa
✟206,608.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Arent Terry Pratchet books meant to be quite good?

Terry Pratchett's books are good but he's not a Christian, which is what the OP was asking.

One author who hasn't been mentioned is Katherine Kurtz. While her Deryni books are specifically "Christian-themed", the church (or at least her world's equivalent of the church, which is basically the same as the Christian church) plays a significant role.

Upvote 0

PureLogic

Dec 8, 2006
✟7,639.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Hi, anyone can recommend some good christian-themed science fiction or fantasy story, written by christian author that is very interesting to read?

Could you clarify "Christian themed" please? The reason I ask is that there are many sci-fi stories that were written by Christians but there are also stories that have Christian themes that were not written by Christians, there are also stories that have religious undercurrents and subplots but are not Christian directly. So you see your question is more complex than it seems.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ModernDaySpyridon

Senior Member - Orthodox Catechumen
Aug 23, 2006
Portland, OR
✟8,643.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I would highly recommend both The Sparrow and Children of God both by Mary Doria Russell. Both books struggle mightly with concepts of evil, why horrible things happen to good people, the human response to GOd...I put the Sparrow down as one of my top five books of all time.

It's that good. Everyone should read it. Everyone....that's right, I'm talking to you...

I have also heard that the book The Children of Men is supposed to be an extremely good book, one that is solidly Christian as well. (A movie based on it just recently came out)

Upvote 0

Floodnut

Veteran
Jun 23, 2005
Winona Lake, INDIANA
Visit site
✟1,724.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thanks. But I like something that is like wheel of time, but that is more christian-based and related. Wheel of time is too near the dark sides for me. I prefer a more harmless, christian-centred fantasy novels, which had a hero, an adventure and many books, along with complex story lines. But it is, otherwise, quite clean.

:)
Check out Heir of the Forgotten Realm, Michael J. Svigel, published by Baker Trittin Press, Winona Lake, IN www.bakertrittenpress.com

Upvote 0

Floodnut

Veteran
Jun 23, 2005
Winona Lake, INDIANA
Visit site
✟1,724.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
How about one that I thought of writing: During the Time before the flood, 500 years prior, a group of families, a clan if you will is living in a honey-combed mountain (like in Cappadocia), and a methane burp, or a large passing planetoid draws off the entire mountain in an eruption, that puts the whole thing on a space journey.
The explosion seals off many of the chambers and a few people survive IN THE mountain, which is now an asteroid, and it is drawn in by the gravity of the passing planetoid. It becomes a home for this clan for 5000 years, until it is discovered by a NASA organization that is searching for killer asteroids.
The people have lived and survived living on the inner surface of this object which is heated internally by the magma of the planetoid. The have photoluminescent grubs for light, and some sort of gem that glows. and there are points where the surface is covered with ice, that enables them to view the heavens. They grow extra long limbs due to the low gravity which is created on the inner surface due to its steady rotation (like a space station). They speak a proto hebrew. Would they evangelize us with the message of the Seed of the Woman? Would they be glad to hear that Jesus had come and died on the Cross for the World that THEY left behind? WE could pretend that this is the "10,000 of his saints" referred to in Jude as the words of Enoch. IMAGINE!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Citanul

Well, when exactly do you mean?
May 31, 2006
Cape Town, South Africa
✟206,608.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
I had read on "Plugged-in Online" that "Children of Men" is decidedly not "christian". The review can be found on their site. Let me know what you think.

I've been there, but I can't seem to find any book reviews on that site.

Upvote 0

Trailblazer

Jan 25, 2007
✟7,632.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Karen Hancock's book Arena is both a good solid science fiction novel as well as a Christian book. If you like sci fi it's well worth reading. Bill Myer's Bloodstone Chronicles was pretty good Christian science as well.

It's fantasy and not sci fi, but Simon Green has written an excellent series called Hawk and Fisher (which is also the title of the first book in the series). It's about a husband & wife team of city guardsmen (that is police) in a medieval world where magic works. It's not strictly Christian fiction (actually it's an interesting mix of fantasy and police procedural), but the husband character, Hawk, is a believing Christian and in fact, if you read between the lions (pun intended) Aslan of the Chronicles of Narnia makes an appearance in one of the books in the series.

Trailblazer

Upvote 0

Seeker60

Jan 31, 2007
✟7,613.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I was just talking on another web site about the Lord of the Ring. Someone was criticizing how certain scenes were shot. Me, I was more concerned about scenes that were left out. In particular, the scene where the Witch King has the smashed the gates of Gondor with a hundred rock trolls wielding Grond, the battering ram. The witch King goes in through the opening, only to be greeted by Gandalf. "Go back to the pit that has been prepared for you, dimmerwicky, you cannot enter here," Gandalf says. "Fool, my hour has come at last, do you not recognize your death when you see it?" Frankly, at that point in the book, it seemed like the confrontation could go either way but, just then, a [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] crowed, followed by the horns of Rowan. After that it was all downhill for the Witch King.

Upvote 0