DreamingDay

Forgiven
Sep 11, 2012
✟7,894.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Can anyone recommend some uplifting Christian fiction books to read? (Besides Lord of the Rings and Chronicles of Narnia, read them, loved them). As far as which fiction genre goes, I'm not sure, I like historical, fantasy, or even contemporary so anything will do. Please share which books you've enjoyed. :)

Bananagator

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?
Nov 20, 2013
✟14,432.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I have this book called "Outriders: The Birthright Project". I can't remember much about it but it's like a fantasy story that's heavily Christian.

Like I said, I don't remember any specific story details but it's a Christian fantasy series and it was pretty interesting if I do recall :)

Upvote 0

DreamingDay

Forgiven
Sep 11, 2012
✟7,894.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I have this book called "Outriders: The Birthright Project". I can't remember much about it but it's like a fantasy story that's heavily Christian.

Like I said, I don't remember any specific story details but it's a Christian fantasy series and it was pretty interesting if I do recall :)

Thanks, I'll check it out!

Upvote 0

DreamingDay

Forgiven
Sep 11, 2012
✟7,894.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I didn't know Lord of the Rings was Christian...

There's an interesting series called "left behind" following a few people during the end times (rapture and from then on).

Lord of the Rings is allegorically Christian. Like Aragorn and Gandalf can represent Christ in ways; Good vs. Evil and other underlying Christian themes.

I've heard of Left Behind series. Thanks for the suggestion!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DreamingDay

Forgiven
Sep 11, 2012
✟7,894.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
If you like mystery stories, you may enjoy the Father Brown stories by G.K. Chesterton. His novel The Man Who Was Thursday is good as well.

Also, though I haven't read it, I have also heard good things about the book Eifelheim by Michael Flynn

Thanks! I'll add them to my list. :)

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,445.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Can anyone recommend some uplifting Christian fiction books to read? (Besides Lord of the Rings and Chronicles of Narnia, read them, loved them). As far as which fiction genre goes, I'm not sure, I like historical, fantasy, or even contemporary so anything will do. Please share which books you've enjoyed. :)

Well with what you mentioned a few seem obvious.

The Silmarillion by Tolkein. The space trilogy by Lewis. Also by Lewis The Great Divorce and Pilgirm's Regress.

And that points to the original the Regress is based on Pilgrims Progress.

Upvote 0

DreamingDay

Forgiven
Sep 11, 2012
✟7,894.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Well with what you mentioned a few seem obvious.

The Silmarillion by Tolkein. The space trilogy by Lewis. Also by Lewis The Great Divorce and Pilgirm's Regress.

And that points to the original the Regress is based on Pilgrims Progress.

Thanks for the reply. I've read The Silmarrillion and Pilgrim's Progress. I was thinking about The Great Divorce and I'll look into that space trilogy by Lewis as well. Thanks!

Upvote 0
Dec 8, 2011
✟121,316.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I didn't know Lord of the Rings was Christian....

I read an interesting book a while back called Finding God in the Lord of the Rings. I forget who the author is, but you could Google it to find out.

Christian Fiction authors I have read are Beverly Lewis, Francine Rivers and Jan Karon. I hope you find something that is a blessing to you.

Blessings,

Gillian

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
L

Lioness901

I love Christian fiction so I got lots of recommendations for ya....
A cool suspense/romance/thriller novel is called The Chase by Susan Wales and Robin Shope. Its about a lady named Jill who is a reporter in Washington D.C and she has really idolized her job then suddenly overnight her circumstances radically change.
Design On A Crime by Ginny Aiken a mystery novel I forget the leading characters name but she has a close best friend who does auctions and stuff and the best friend is found dead and suspicion falls on the main character so she has to try to prove her innocence before she may go to jail for a murder she knows she didn't commit.
The Song Of Erin by B.J Hoff its a romance novel. It is long and detailed but worth the read I think. The coolest part of it I think is that there is more then one main character there are many leading characters in it and its an awesome. The mysteries of the past confront the secrets of the present in bestselling Hoff's "Song of Erin" saga. Originally published nearly a decade ago, this new edition combines two of Hoff's best novels into one volume.
This Present Darkness by Frank E. Peretti a fiction novel on spiritual warefare and it is awesome. A man loses custody of his kids and is being wrongly accused and he has to get his children back. It's really good and is there is a sequel to it called Piercing The Darkness by Frank E. Peretti. Also about spiritual warfare. Both are totally awesome I think.
House by Frank E. Peretti and Ted Dekker a suspense sort of horror novel. In rural Alabama, two couples find themselves in a fight for survival. Running from a maniac bent on killing them, they flee to an old house that's been empty for years, or so they think and the only way out of the house is inside it.
The Visitation by Frank E. Peretti another spiritual warfare novel. The sleepy, eastern Washington wheat town of Antioch has become a gateway for the supernatural--from sightings of angels and a weeping crucifix to a self-proclaimed prophet with an astounding message. The national media and the curious all flock to the little town--a great boon for local business but not for Travis Jordan. The burned-out former pastor has been trying to hide his past in Antioch. Now the whole world is headed to his backyard to find the Messiah, and in the process, every spiritual assumption he has ever held will be challenged. The startling secret behind this visitation ultimately pushes one man into a supernatural confrontation that has eternal consequences.
Prophet by Frank E. Peretti a novel on spiritual warfare and spiritual gifting. A thriller that penetrates to the very heart of a vast struggle that threatens to tear our society apart. Successful news anchorman John Barrett is caught in a suspenseful moral and spiritual battle over the importance of Truth.
Home Run by Travis Thrasher. Based on the movie Home Run Major League baseball player Cory Brand is on a downward spiral of addiction. To silence his critics, Cory coaches Little League and signs up for a recovery program that may lead to the most important play of his life.
The Veritas Conflict by Shaunti Feldhahn. Another novel about spiritual warfare. Despite her parents' warnings, Claire Shibbol makes plans to attend a prestigious secular college. There, she encounters a mixed message in the school's founding motto and its conflicting New Age ideology. As Claire copes with attacks on her faith, her roommate succumbs to temptations and destruction.
Tilly by Frank E. Perretti. This little book is about abortion and is emotional but is worth the read. Kathy and Dan Ross are just like any other young couple. No one would ever imagine what secrets lie buried in their souls until Kathy is captivated by that simple name on a tiny gravestone and their lives are changed forever. Originally presented as a radio drama on Focus on the Family, Tilly is a deeply moving novel-an unforgettable story of life, love, and Christ's forgiveness.
And that's it that's all I have for you for now I'll give you more when I have read more.

Upvote 0
Mar 12, 2014
Washington
Visit site
✟15,390.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
The Space Trilogy and Till We Have Faces by C. S. Lewis.

Most books by Stephen R. Lawhead, but especially his Pendragon Cycle and his latest Bright Empires series.

His son Ross Lawhead has really good Trilogy called the Ancient Earth trilogy or something. The first book was especially excellent. I am reading the third one now.

The Lion of War series by Cliff Graham is great, although violent. It's based on King David's exploits.

Upvote 0

HereIStand

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2006
✟317,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
The Space Trilogy and Till We Have Faces by C. S. Lewis.

I second C.S. Lewis' Space Trilogy and Till We Have Faces.

Also would recommend Paul Maier's Pontius Pilate and The Flames of Rome.
Additionally, try The Hammer of God by Bo Giertz.
Also would consider any of Dostoevsky's novels, especially Crime and Punishment or The Idiot.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Lance Harvey

Nov 9, 2018
Dallas
✟15,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I had the same issue finding interesting Christian fantasy fiction novels. Below is an article describing 6 Christian fantasy fiction novels and why they are enjoyable. Granted two of them are The Hobbit and The Magician's Nephew, but the others (A Pilgrim's Progress, A Pilgrims Regress, This Present Darkness, and The Rise of Adamain's Legend) were interesting as well.
Top Christian Fantasy Fiction Books (some You Have Heard Of And Some You Haven’t)

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,445.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I can barely believe I forgot one of C.S. Lewis's best works in my previous post.

The Screwtape Letters.

It was originally a weekly column in some of the British papers during WW II. It takes the idea of guardian angels and makes teh obvious extension. If God is doing that surely Satan has copied it for His ends and assigned not so guardian devils.

It consists of a series of letter written by Screwtape to his nephew Wormwood who is on his first field assignment. For some it is a difficult read, it is told from teh other side so God is referred to as the Enemy.

It is also a dangerously challenging work because the weaknesses of Wormwood's client that Screwtape brings up are failings most people share. It holds up a glass for the alert reader to see how he falls short without the sort of preaching that can lead to ignoring the message.

One sidenote. Some fools translated it into American. They did away with German soldiers and changed them to enemy soldiers. Quite confusing since God is also the Enemy. The only difference being capitalization. They also changed trivial disagreement between the 'High' and 'Low' church to differences between liberal and conservative. Liberal Christianity has many definitions, but definition in use when Lewis was alive described something he actively rejected.

Many have tried to piggy back off The Screwtape Letters. Few do it well and Screwtape finds that rather amusing.

Upvote 0

Bumble Bee

Disciplemaker
Nov 2, 2007
Held together by Jesus and coffee
✟698,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Jill Eileen Smith has two fascinating series: The Wives of the Patriarchs and The Wives of King David. I also like Al and Joanna Lacy No Place for Fear and Bodie and Brock Thoene A.D. Chronicles

Upvote 0

Tolkien R.R.J

Jul 23, 2018
Virginia
✟74,559.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics