Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Recommend some good bible commentaries for a lay person?

That depends a little on what your theological position is, but there are many good commentaries (at different levels) from IVP: InterVarsity Press

BakerBooks has a set too.

Stick with reputable Christian publishers, though.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Recommend some good bible commentaries for a lay person?
There are several available for free on line, why settle for just one? I have tons of books on Theology and walls of full book shelves full of things that are now available on line for free

Upvote 0

jiminpa

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2004
✟283,407.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
  • Agree
Reactions: hislegacy
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Full disclosure, I'm not a big fan of digging into all of man's ways of telling us that the Bible doesn't mean what it says.

You mean that instead of a good Christian pastor that has studied the Bible in depth explaining things, you'd rather do it all on your own?

Upvote 0

jiminpa

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2004
✟283,407.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You mean that instead of a good Christian pastor that has studied the Bible in depth explaining things, you'd rather do it all on your own?
What makes his studies more valid than mine, his pride in telling you how well studied he is? Sorry, but I know of no one who is perfectly accurate in his interpretation of scripture. This whole following the doctrine of man all the way to Hell thing is getting old to me. I'm not saying not to listen to anyone, but we put too much faith in human misleading than we do in the Bible itself. Someone on here advocated a "teacher" who himself advocates the rejection of God's Spirit. Too many people put too much faith in teachers and not enough in the scripture, and the world is dying and going to Hell because we would rather follow man than God.

I get really nervous when someone asks for recommendations for commentaries, because most of them are just plain misleading. Some of the most respected contemporary "bible teachers' have publicly and explicitly rejected the Holy Spirit, and therefore are not even Christians. Those people are on a mission to drag as many hungry Christians to Hell with them as they can grab on their way to the abyss by offering them poison disguised as food. I know Christians who read their commentaries and can't be swayed an inch by the scripture as a result.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jiminpa

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2004
✟283,407.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
More study? Being able to read Hebrew and/or Greek?

Aren't you a man?
Yes, and fallible, so I seek fellowship, and Bible discussions with those I can get to know and develope trust for. I don't trust academia's group think. Too much of it attempts to call the scriptures wrong. Too many are just plain dishonest. Hank
Hanegraaff doesn't even hide his dishonesty anymore, and John MacArthur markets his hatred for the Holy Spirit, but they are highly respected as"bible teachers"and commentators.

Upvote 0

scottmcc2

Isa 53:1 Whose report will you believe?
Aug 2, 2017
Kansas City MO
✟17,045.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
1 John 2:27 NASB "As for you, the anointing which you received from Him abides in you, and you have no need for anyone to teach you; but as His anointing teaches you about all things, and is true and is not a lie, and just as it has taught you, you abide in Him."

We can trust God to teach us the Bible. On the other hand God is opposed to the proud but gives grace to the humble. James 4:6 So for God to teach us we should be open to listening to others teach. I have gained much from listening to others. I firmly also believe the Holy Spirit will teach me the Scriptures.

I don't accept what people say without searching the Scriptures for myself. 1 Thessalonians 5:21 But they can open up things from a perspective that I would not of thought of.

A commentary I would recommend is:
Preaching the Word Commentaries (I have the one on Jeremiah and it is fantastic)
Exposition Commentary by Warren W. Wiersbe
Reformation Commentary on Scripture (I'm not a Calvinist but I get a lot out of the Galatians/Ephesians book)

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Heavy lean toward Messianic
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single

If you're not doing it on your own, making sure that what that "good Christian pastor" is telling you is the truth then you are prime target for being deceived.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

scottmcc2

Isa 53:1 Whose report will you believe?
Aug 2, 2017
Kansas City MO
✟17,045.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
If you're not doing it on your own, making sure that what that "good Christian pastor" is telling you is the truth then you are prime target for being deceived.

When we follow leaders, we are not to follow them blind. Instead we are to watch the outcome of their faith and follow their example, when their outcome is good. Philippians 4:9; 1 Corinthians 11:1; Hebrews 13:7

Upvote 0

jiminpa

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2004
✟283,407.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
When we follow leaders, we are not to follow them blind. Instead we are to watch the outcome of their faith and follow their example, when their outcome is good. Philippians 4:9; 1 Corinthians 11:1; Hebrews 13:7
John MacArthur has a great outcome from the standpoint of religious success. He has millions of followers, truckloads of money, and is considered a bible authority, but his teachings are full of unbelief.

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Heavy lean toward Messianic
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single

I disagree. There are lots of false teachers out there that are quite successull in their churches which hold and are filled by millions. The books they write whose readers never actually check to make sure that the reference notes are actually corect (I did once and was appalled at the misquoting that was done).They have mansions and fancy outfits, and a great many of their "followers" only know the Bible in accordance to what their teacher has told them. Many of them are just as lost as those who have heard the gospel and rejected it.

We are not to follow a man period. We can learn from a man, but we are not to follow anyone but God. Remember that part of scripture where Jesus said, "don't call any man father"....this situation is what he was talking about. You don't give ANY man place in your life to where you hang on his every word and don't question him.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟701,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Completely disagree. This is someone I would avoid.

Like the Bereans?

John MacArthur has a great outcome from the standpoint of religious success. He has millions of followers, truckloads of money, and is considered a bible authority, but his teachings are full of unbelief.

John MacArthur, unlike J. Vernon McGee is an excellent Old Testament expositor. It is when he get into the New Testament that there are issues.

Upvote 0