Good Article - Get off that 6/24 business!

Get off that 6/24 business!

http://www.answersingenesis.org/docs2002/0619Robertson.asp

Pat Robertson, well-known founder of the Christian Broadcasting Network (CBN-TV) and host of the ‘700 Club’ TV program, recently took a swipe at people who are dogmatic that the Bible teaches Creation in six 24-hour days. During a 17 June broadcast, Robertson said, ‘I sure wish he’d get off that 6/24 business,’ speaking about Michael Farris, founder and president of Patrick Henry College in Virginia (USA), who requires his teachers to believe and teach a six-day Creation.

‘I totally disagree with the evolutionary hypothesis. I think it is clearly flawed. It is not good science. And I think more and more top-notch scientists are saying this isn’t true. But Terry, if somebody set before you a piece of paper and said, “Sign on penalty of your life ‘God created the world in six 24-hour days,’ ” what would you say?’

Terry Meeuwson, co-host of the 700 Club: ‘I couldn’t do it because I don’t know. No-one was here at that time. [Robertson laughs.] The Bible says a day is as a thousand years to the Lord. I have no idea the specifics of what that was like.’

Robertson: ‘I’m with you, I couldn’t either because, you know, we could be looking at a solar day; we could be looking at a universal day; we could be looking at a galactic day. It doesn’t have to be one revolution of the Earth. And I mean, [as] you say, “nobody was there.” ’

Terry: ‘When you’re talking about the creation of a universe, I think it’s very presumptuous to think that we could understand or even should understand every element of that and be able to define it and put it in a box system.’

Robertson: ‘Genesis was never intended as a science textbook. Genesis is the backdrop for the introduction of the Jewish race through Abraham, which was God’s agency of salvation through Jesus Christ. That’s what Genesis is all about.

‘I mean, if God intended a textbook, he wouldn’t be, you know, talking about the sun in the sense of the moon and all this kind of thing because it’s phenomenal language. It’s what you see. And when I look out, I see the sun rise, and I see the sun set. We know now the sun doesn’t rise and the sun doesn’t set. But the Bible talks about “from the rising of the sun to the going down of the same.” But it’s poetical language.

‘It [the Earth] actually revolves, but the writer of the Bible doesn’t say, “Well, the Earth revolved on its axis, and therefore it looked like the sun was coming up.” [Instead, the Bible says,] “From the rising of the sun to the going down of the same.”

‘[The Bible also says in Psalm 114:4] “The little hills skipped like lambs.” We’ll, I mean, nobody really thinks the hills skipped. This is poetry! And to stake your whole faith on the basis of misinterpretation of poetry, to me, is a mistake. …’

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Pat Robertson can take a hike.
Chris†opher Paul said:
Robertson: I'm with you, I couldn't either because, you know, we could be looking at a solar day; we could be looking at a universal day; we could be looking at a galactic day. It doesn't have to be one revolution of the Earth.
Don't you mean "rotation of the Earth"?

Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Pat Robertson can take a hike.Don't you mean "rotation of the Earth"?

Fifteen-and-a-half years. That's gotta be a new record.

So what was so special about this post which nobody bothered responding to for the last decade-and-a-half that you felt warranted a response now?

Or are you just necroing these things for the inevitable attention you get from it?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So what was so special about this post which nobody bothered responding to for the last decade-and-a-half that you felt warranted a response now?
I'm not going to start a new thread, just to say Pat Robertson can take a hike; and to correct his terminology.

Don't you think I have enough threads already?

Aren't you tired of seeing threads in C&E and P&LS littered with threads started by moi?

Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I'm not going to start a new thread, just to say Pat Robertson can take a hike; and to correct his terminology.

But why do you feel the need to do that at all in relation to a 15-and-a-half year old thread? Pretty sure no one else would have ever noticed.

I really don't understand your thought process behind your continual necroing of all these threads. Most people stop themselves or at least realize it's a breach of generally accepted forum etiquette. You seem to have no such inhibition though. It's both fascinating and odd.

• Agree
Reactions: Ophiolite
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
But why do you feel the need to do that at all in relation to a 15-and-a-half year old thread?
Which bothers you more? what Pat Robertson said, or when he said it?

Matthew 23:24 Ye blind guides, which strain at a gnat, and swallow a camel.

Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Which bothers you more? what Pat Robertson said, or when he said it?

Matthew 23:24 Ye blind guides, which strain at a gnat, and swallow a camel.
When he said it would be very relevant if he doesn't still say it. This thread is over a decade old, so why not present a new example of the things you disagree with? If he's not saying these things and has changed his mind, it would make for a pointless topic of discussion.

Upvote 0

Colter

Nov 9, 2004
✟92,791.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married

“Get off that 6/24 business!”

Pat Robertson, well-known founder of the Christian Broadcasting Network (CBN-TV) and host of the ‘700 Club’ TV program, recently took a swipe at people who are dogmatic that the Bible teaches Creation in six 24-hour days. During a 17 June broadcast, Robertson said, ‘I sure wish he’d get off that 6/24 business,’ speaking about Michael Farris, founder and president of Patrick Henry College in Virginia (USA), who requires his teachers to believe and teach a six-day Creation.

‘I totally disagree with the evolutionary hypothesis. I think it is clearly flawed. It is not good science. And I think more and more top-notch scientists are saying this isn’t true. But Terry, if somebody set before you a piece of paper and said, “Sign on penalty of your life ‘God created the world in six 24-hour days,’ ” what would you say?’

Terry Meeuwson, co-host of the 700 Club: ‘I couldn’t do it because I don’t know. No-one was here at that time. [Robertson laughs.] The Bible says a day is as a thousand years to the Lord. I have no idea the specifics of what that was like.’

Robertson: ‘I’m with you, I couldn’t either because, you know, we could be looking at a solar day; we could be looking at a universal day; we could be looking at a galactic day. It doesn’t have to be one revolution of the Earth. And I mean, [as] you say, “nobody was there.” ’

Terry: ‘When you’re talking about the creation of a universe, I think it’s very presumptuous to think that we could understand or even should understand every element of that and be able to define it and put it in a box system.’

Robertson: ‘Genesis was never intended as a science textbook. Genesis is the backdrop for the introduction of the Jewish race through Abraham, which was God’s agency of salvation through Jesus Christ. That’s what Genesis is all about.

‘I mean, if God intended a textbook, he wouldn’t be, you know, talking about the sun in the sense of the moon and all this kind of thing because it’s phenomenal language. It’s what you see. And when I look out, I see the sun rise, and I see the sun set. We know now the sun doesn’t rise and the sun doesn’t set. But the Bible talks about “from the rising of the sun to the going down of the same.” But it’s poetical language.

‘It [the Earth] actually revolves, but the writer of the Bible doesn’t say, “Well, the Earth revolved on its axis, and therefore it looked like the sun was coming up.” [Instead, the Bible says,] “From the rising of the sun to the going down of the same.”

‘[The Bible also says in Psalm 114:4] “The little hills skipped like lambs.” We’ll, I mean, nobody really thinks the hills skipped. This is poetry! And to stake your whole faith on the basis of misinterpretation of poetry, to me, is a mistake. …’
If man could put the Son of God through a trumped up trial and then try to kill him, he could also write an exaggerated book with lots of errors.

But the Bible does say the world is young and created in 6/24. It’s just wrong!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
But why do you feel the need to do that at all in relation to a 15-and-a-half year old thread? Pretty sure no one else would have ever noticed.

I really don't understand your thought process behind your continual necroing of all these threads. Most people stop themselves or at least realize it's a breach of generally accepted forum etiquette. You seem to have no such inhibition though. It's both fascinating and odd.
Do that by responding you're giving positive feedback to his behavior and encouraging it? If everyone would just ignore him it would cut down on the nonsense here.

Upvote 0