Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm playing doctor Franken furter in the rocky horror show iv also played in rent , spring awakening, hair and many more acting and performing is how I make my living does playing these roles mean I'm a bad Christian

SarahsKnight

Jesus Christ is this Knight's truth.
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2014
Magnolia, AR
✟992,958.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm playing doctor Franken furter in the rocky horror show iv also played in rent , spring awakening, hair and many more acting and performing is how I make my living does playing these roles mean I'm a bad Christian

Why should they? I mean, is there anything particularly immoral in your conscience that you had to do when acting these parts?

Upvote 0

SarahsKnight

Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2014
Magnolia, AR
✟992,958.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Then I do not see a need to worry. Actors are people, too. While there may not be many Christ believers in the theatric world, I certainly do not see any reason why an being an actor in and of itself would automatically bar someone from behaving like an exemplary Christian. Hey, in anything, you might be able to use this as an opportunity to tell about your faith with others you share the stage with. Or better yet, simply let on you believe in Jesus Christ and then let the rest speak for itself through your actions. For instance, if you come across something in one of your acting parts that you do not feel morally comfortable with, speak up and voice your doubts and feelings on it and try to find a workaround without sounding all smug or morally superior to everyone else. Just be gentle but earnest without judging, humbly asking your coworkers and superiors if they can accommodate you on an issue. And if you've already booked your faith, they just might remember this and mentally associate your good and humble attitude with the Christ you have spoken of, and later want to know more. Now I don't know if this Franken character ever posed as a transvestite during the course of the Rocky Horror play ( never saw the movie or any other version of it, myself; I just remember everyone talking about how great Tim Curry played a transvestite or whatever), but I wouldn't say acting that out is some automatic ticket to hell or some other nonsense (if this just happened to be a specific example of why you asked your initial question). Do what you are comfortable with, and when something comes up that you aren't, try to work with your peers on it. Being an exemplary Christian isn't all about desperately avoiding this that and the other subjective evil in order to keep out of hell or telling everyone else you disagree with that they're going to get the axe from God if they don't see it your way (not that i'm suggesting you are or have been doing that in your acting circle). Kindness, compassion, humility, and gentle admonishment win the day, but just don't let them stop you from being honest about your convictions and faith. :)

Hopefully I didn't talk too much there in case all you were wanting to really hear was a simple yes or no to the op question. ^_^

Upvote 0

Theatreguy18

The Episcopal avenger
Jun 15, 2015
Charleston S.C.
✟13,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Then I do not see a need to worry. Actors are people, too. While there may not be many Christ believers in the theatric world, I certainly do not see any reason why an being an actor in and of itself would automatically bar someone from behaving like an exemplary Christian. Hey, in anything, you might be able to use this as an opportunity to tell about your faith with others you share the stage with. Or better yet, simply let on you believe in Jesus Christ and then let the rest speak for itself through your actions. For instance, if you come across something in one of your acting parts that you do not feel morally comfortable with, speak up and voice your doubts and feelings on it and try to find a workaround without sounding all smug or morally superior to everyone else. Just be gentle but earnest without judging, humbly asking your coworkers and superiors if they can accommodate you on an issue. And if you've already booked your faith, they just might remember this and mentally associate your good and humble attitude with the Christ you have spoken of, and later want to know more. Now I don't know if this Franken character ever posed as a transvestite during the course of the Rocky Horror play ( never saw the movie or any other version of it, myself; I just remember everyone talking about how great Tim Curry played a transvestite or whatever), but I wouldn't say acting that out is some automatic ticket to hell or some other nonsense (if this just happened to be a specific example of why you asked your initial question). Do what you are comfortable with, and when something comes up that you aren't, try to work with your peers on it. Being an exemplary Christian isn't all about desperately avoiding this that and the other subjective evil in order to keep out of hell or telling everyone else you disagree with that they're going to get the axe from God if they don't see it your way (not that i'm suggesting you are or have been doing that in your acting circle). Kindness, compassion, humility, and gentle admonishment win the day, but just don't let them stop you from being honest about your convictions and faith. :)

Hopefully I didn't talk too much there in case all you were wanting to really hear was a simple yes or no to the op question. ^_^
I actually must disagree most actors iv meet here in NYC r Christian actors are surprisingly spiritually grounded most of us are Catholic like I am so it's great we actually have an actors chapel church dedicated to the patron saints of theatre , dance and music

Upvote 0

SarahsKnight

Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2014
Magnolia, AR
✟992,958.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I actually must disagree most actors iv meet here in NYC r Christian actors are surprisingly spiritually grounded most of us are Catholic like I am so it's great we actually have an actors chapel church dedicated to the patron saints of theatre , dance and music
Well, there you go. Even better. :)

Upvote 0