Going to church on Saturday is NOT Sabbath-keeping. Here's why.

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
LGW made an interesting point.

There is nothing in the Sabbath commandment about gathering on the Sabbath for worship. Therefore, you can't move Sunday worship to Saturday and call it Sabbath-keeping. Isn't that something? I'm stunned. I know, I know... it doesn't take much.

Can this be true? Why were the Israelites going to synagogue on the Sabbath if there is no commandment to do such in the law?

• Informative
Reactions: Danthemailman

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
God's 4th Commandment says this....

EXODUS 20:8-11
[8], Remember the SABBATH DAY, to KEEP IT HOLY. <Why?> Because God made it Holy for mankind and commands us to keep it as a Holy day)
[9], Six days shalt thou labor, and do all thy work:
[10], But the SEVENTH DAY IS THE SABBATH of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: <WHY>
[11], For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the SEVENTH DAY: wherefore the LORD BLESSED THE SABBATH, and HALLOWED IT.

Now where in all of God's 4th Commandment does it command us to GATHER ON THE SABBATH? Gods 4th Commandment is about keeping the day as a HOLY DAY in REMEMBERENCE as a MEMORIAL of CREATION.

It is a day dedicated to GOD. There is nothing wrong with going to Church on the SABBATH and doing so does not break it. JESUS and all the APOSTLES who are our examples went to Church on the SABBATH. PAUL kept the SABBATH with both JEWS and GENTILES. (Matthew 12:1-8; 10-12; 24:20; Mark 3:1-5; Luke 6:1-10; 13:14-16; 14:1-5; John 7:22-23; 9:14; Mark 1:21; Mark 6:2; Luke 4:16; 31; Luke 14:1; 23:56; John 2:6; Matthew 16:24; 1 Corinthians 11:1; Eph 5:1-21; Peter 2:20-22; Acts 13:14; 13:27; 13:44; 15:21; 16:13; 17:2; 18:4; Revelation 1:10)

Hope this helps

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

[8], Remember the SABBATH DAY, to KEEP IT HOLY. <Why?> Because God made it Holy for mankind and commands us to keep it as a Holy day)
[10], But the SEVENTH DAY IS THE SABBATH of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: <WHY>
[11], For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the SEVENTH DAY: wherefore the LORD BLESSED THE SABBATH, and HALLOWED IT.

Now where in all of God's 4th Commandment does it command us to GATHER ON THE SABBATH? Gods 4th Commandment is about keeping the day as a HOLY DAY in REMEMBERENCE as a MEMORIAL of CREATION.

It is a day dedicated to GOD. There is nothing wrong with going to Church on the SABBATH and doing so does not break it. JESUS and all the APOSTLES who are our examples went to Church on the SABBATH. PAUL kept the SABBATH with both JEWS and GENTILES. (Matthew 12:1-8; 10-12; 24:20; Mark 3:1-5; Luke 6:1-10; 13:14-16; 14:1-5; John 7:22-23; 9:14; Mark 1:21; Mark 6:2; Luke 4:16; 31; Luke 14:1; 23:56; John 2:6; Matthew 16:24; 1 Corinthians 11:1; Eph 5:1-21; Peter 2:20-22; Acts 13:14; 13:27; 13:44; 15:21; 16:13; 17:2; 18:4; Revelation 1:10)

Hope this helps
So, why do you care if we go to church on Sunday? We aren't breaking the Sabbath commandment.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

There is nothing in the Sabbath commandment about gathering on the Sabbath for worship. Therefore, you can't move Sunday worship to Saturday and call it Sabbath-keeping. Isn't that something? I'm stunned. I know, I know... it doesn't take much.

Can this be true? Why were the Israelites going to synagogue on the Sabbath if there is no commandment to do such in the law?

Exo 16:29 See, for that the LORD hath given you the sabbath, therefore he giveth you on the sixth day the bread of two days; abide ye every man in his place, let no man go out of his place on the seventh day.

Traveling on a Sabbath was something the elders made up, not something the law allowed:

Gill:

Which, is from Jerusalem a sabbath day's journey. The Syriac version renders it, "about seven furlongs", or near a mile; though Josephus (r) writes, that the Mount of Olives was but five furlongs from Jerusalem: perhaps this may be a mistake in the present copies of Josephus, since Chrysostom on this place cites this passage of Josephus, and reads seven furlongs; which exactly agrees with the Syriac version. A sabbath day's journey, according to the Jews, was two thousand cubits from any city or town, and which they often called, ???? ???, "the bound of the sabbath" (s); and which they collect partly from Num_35:4 which they understand thus (t):

"a thousand cubits are the suburbs (of the city), and two thousand cubits the bounds of the sabbath.

And these were so many middling paces; for so they say (u),

"a walk of two thousand middling paces, this is the bound of the sabbath.

And that this was the proper space they also gather from Jos_3:4 it being the distance between the ark and the people when they marched; and though this was not fixed by the law, yet being a tradition of the elders, was strictly observed by them: so when Ruth desired to become a proselytess, the Targumist on Rth_1:16 introduces Naomi thus speaking to her,

"says Naomi, we are commanded to keep the sabbaths, and the good days, (or feasts,) and not to walk above "two thousand cubits";

i.e. on those days; for to go further was reckoned a profanation of them: so it is said (w),

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why were the Israelites going to synagogue on the Sabbath if there is no commandment to do such in the law?
Because they had all of that free time on their hands (and wanted a six-day work week)...?

Upvote 0

ilovejcsog

I am a Christian mutt. You can call me Rox
Jul 23, 2018
Phoenix
✟21,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution

Hope this helps

Hope this helps
What if the days you labor are not from Sunday to Saturday? Then what day is the Sabbath day to keep holy?

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
So, why do you care if we go to church on Sunday? We aren't breaking the Sabbath commandment.

I do not care when people gather to go to church. That is not the problem. We should worship God everyday of the WEEK. It is breaking God's 4th commandment that is the problem [doing your own work on the Sabbath *EXODUS 20:8-11]. It is one of the 10 commandments given to us by God as a MEMORIAL of creation and if we knowingly break any one of God's 10 Commandments, God's WORD says we commit sin *JAMES 2:9-11; 1 JOHN 3:4. There is no scriptures in all of God's WORD that says God's 4th commandment is now ABOLISHED and we are now commanded to keep Sunday as a HOLY DAY. It is a traditions and teaching of men introduced to protestantism of today by the ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH.

CONFESSIONS OF THE ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Natsumi Lam
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

The 7th Day Sabbath begins sundown Friday thru Sundown Saturday.

Are we not to walk in the footsteps of our Savior? Jesus kept the 7th day Sabbath. The apostles kept the 7th day Sabbath. God blessed the 7th day sanctified it and made it holy. Jesus is Lord over the 7th day Sabbath. Where in the bible does it say to worship on Sunday (1st day)? It is the 4th commandment of the 10, that says to remember it and keep it. Will just worshiping on the Sabbath save you? No Will just worshiping on Sunday save you? No

So what is the problem? People are free to believe differently. Each will be responsible for what they believe and thank God for that one.

Romans 14:12 “So then each of us shall give account of himself to God.”

Amen.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The 7th Day Sabbath begins sundown Friday thru Sundown Saturday.
I have always wondered, is that using Jerusalem time, or local time...?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I have always wondered, is that using Jerusalem time, or local time...?

It's using sundown time that varies across the globe, and I'm pretty sure the Lord was and is aware of that, since He created everything.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's using sundown time that varies across the globe, and I'm pretty sure the Lord was and is aware of that, since He created everything.
I'm sure that He did, too, but that only works if there is an international date line established.

The one that we have right now is on the antipode of London. Should it have been the antipode of Jerusalem?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm sure that He did, too, but that only works if there is an international date line established.

The one that we have right now is on the antipode of London. Should it have been the antipode of Jerusalem?
No, you keep it where you are. There is actually a teaching picture tied to the Sabbath that is lost when you don't do it according to when the sun goes down.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Actually, it was moved to Sunday after the resurrection. But it is about gathering... it is a holy convocation, a holy gathering. Of course, you reject that and that's fine. Do as you are convicted.

• Informative
Reactions: Erik Nelson
Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No, you keep it where you are.
My point of the IDL is, how do you distinguish one day of the week from another (outside of Jerusalem/Israel)? There is no Biblical standard. All that we have is an arbitrary standard (based on London).

If it were located anywhere else, a given location's Friday or Saturday would be different than it is now.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My point of the IDL is, how do you distinguish one day of the week from another (outside of Jerusalem/Israel)? There is no Biblical standard. All that we have is an arbitrary standard (based on London).

If it were located anywhere else, a given location's Friday or Saturday would be different than it is now.
No, I think you are trying to use modern secular methods and applying them to an ancient near east and biblical concept. According to the bible, the day begins and ends at sundown. What we call Friday night at sundown is the beginning of the Sabbath and anywhere you are in the world, you can keep it from sundown to sundown just as God did when He rested on the 7th day.

If you are looking for a universal point, it would have been where the Temple was... but, we are not living in the Land under God's law, we are living in the nations under secular law and must do the best we can, as we understand Scripture, wherever we are. So, here in Kentucky, when the sun goes down Friday, that begins my Sabbath. And it ends when the sun goes down Saturday night.

When we all live as one with messiah and he has restored all things. If we are going to do these things, he will make sure we are doing it right. Until then, we do the best we can under the conditions we are in.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So, here in Kentucky, when the sun goes down Friday, that begins my Sabbath. And it ends when the sun goes down Saturday night.
While the IDL is in the Pacific. If it were in the Atlantic, our Sabbath would precede Jerusalem's by almost a day.
If you are looking for a universal point, it would have been where the Temple was...
I would say that is a good guess, but it hasn't been Biblically established.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
While the IDL is in the Pacific. If it were in the Atlantic, our Sabbath would precede Jerusalem's by almost a day.

I would say that is a good guess, but it hasn't been Biblically established.
God said that is where He placed His name, so Jerusalem it is for me as a universal point. But we practice locally. It makes no sense to start a Sabbath at 2-3 in the morning. :) Just do it as you are convicted... it doesn't matter to me how you reckon time.

Upvote 0

Dave Watchman

Jan 10, 2014
✟67,573.00
Faith
Christian
LGW made an interesting point. There is nothing in the Sabbath commandment about gathering on the Sabbath for worship. Therefore, you can't move Sunday worship to Saturday and call it Sabbath-keeping. Isn't that something? I'm stunned. I know, I know... it doesn't take much.

Are you worried about it?

I'm not worried about what the Old Time Jews were doing. I don't think they knew what was going on, they were celebrating Passover on the wrong day, and they missed the time of their Visitation.

And you're right, it doesn't say we have to go to church. Just rest like the Lord did on the seventh day after He made everything. Rest and do NO WORK. That sounds pretty good to me, that's right up my alley.

Keep your feet from breaking the Sabbath, and doing as you please on His Holy Day. There's no seventh day churches in my area anyway so i just stay in my place. Since 2006 once i figured it out. Then you will delight in the LORD, and He will make you ride over the heights of the hills.

But i think the NT validates a Sabbath Day's journey in Acts. From Jerusalem to the mount called Olivet. Like a 20 minute walk around the block. I don't do it. It grieves my heart to see others with hands and feet so swift to mischief.

So, why do you care if we go to church on Sunday?

I couldn't give a hoot what you do on Sunday.

We aren't breaking the Sabbath commandment.

Only when you do work on that day, you or anyone within your gates.

Just rest.

Easy.

And be a well watered garden.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It makes no sense to start a Sabbath at 2-3 in the morning.
True, but you're missing the point about the IDL. Even starting the Sabbath on local sunset, you would have to know where the "Biblical" IDL was in order to pick the right sunset.

Here in North America, there would be no difference. But if the IDL were based on Jerusalem's antipode, rather than London's, the Sabbath in Hawaii would start a day earlier than it does now (on their sunset). That isn't secularism; it is calendarics.

Last edited:
Upvote 0