Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
As you guys all know I'm a big Timothy Gordon fan, and in a few of his more recent podcast episodes he's discussed how he's writing a book on Vatican II and spent a good chunk of 2020 going over all of the documents. He went from being a trad who disfavored Vatican II for all the usual reasons that trads give, to a trad who supports it because his inspection of the documents (as a trained and educated lawyer, no less) showed that they square with the Magisterium.

This has sparked my own interest in learning the documents, so I'm gonna take a crack at it, and I expect it will take me a long time. Especially because some of them, like Lumen Gentium and Guadium et Spes are the big kahunas at 70 and 60 pages long, respectively.

Has anyone on here ever taken a thorough look at the documents? I'm actually excited to become better educated on this material for future discussions. If anyone is interested I've copied all of them off of the Vatican website and saved them in PDF form so I can get them to you somehow, maybe through Google Drive if you'd like.

If anyone wants to join me it might be illuminating to have an ongoing discussion about them as we go.

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟244,837.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Good idea. What you might do is pick a document and set a date to discuss it. Set the date a few weeks ahead of time to give people time to read it. Maybe the mods could even sticky a thread to the top of the OBOB board, close the thread, and then open the thread when the start date arrives.

For example, "Sacrosanctum Concilium - Discussion begins April 10th".

I think it may be worthwhile to set up parallel threads in a theology forum so non-Catholics can join the discussion there.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
As you guys all know I'm a big Timothy Gordon fan, and in a few of his more recent podcast episodes he's discussed how he's writing a book on Vatican II and spent a good chunk of 2020 going over all of the documents. He went from being a trad who disfavored Vatican II for all the usual reasons that trads give, to a trad who supports it because his inspection of the documents (as a trained and educated lawyer, no less) showed that they square with the Magisterium.

This has sparked my own interest in learning the documents, so I'm gonna take a crack at it, and I expect it will take me a long time. Especially because some of them, like Lumen Gentium and Guadium et Spes are the big kahunas at 70 and 60 pages long, respectively.

Has anyone on here ever taken a thorough look at the documents? I'm actually excited to become better educated on this material for future discussions. If anyone is interested I've copied all of them off of the Vatican website and saved them in PDF form so I can get them to you somehow, maybe through Google Drive if you'd like.

If anyone wants to join me it might be illuminating to have an ongoing discussion about them as we go.
Skip the Abbot translation. Use the Flannery translation. Better yet the Tanner edition if you can find it. I haven't found that one yet.

The English Editions of the Documents of Vatican II

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Upvote 0

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟244,837.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
In 1992 Cardinal Ratzinger wrote an article in Communio that assesses the first 20 years of the journal's existence. Since Communio was founded on the basis of the Council this article has some good insight into the Council and the first decades following it. The pdf is freely available: Communio: A Program | Articles | Communio

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

Good idea. What you might do is pick a document and set a date to discuss it. Set the date a few weeks ahead of time to give people time to read it. Maybe the mods could even sticky a thread to the top of the OBOB board, close the thread, and then open the thread when the start date arrives.

For example, "Sacrosanctum Concilium - Discussion begins April 10th".

I think it may be worthwhile to set up parallel threads in a theology forum so non-Catholics can join the discussion there.
I would be interested in reading through some of the documents

Reactions: zippy2006
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I would be interested in reading through some of the documents
OK. Let's pick one. I'd recommend one of the Dogmatic Constitutions, but then maybe getting our feet wet with something short.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
We could just take a few chapters at a time with the bigger documents. As far as the constitutions go, Dei Verbum has 6 chapters, Sacrosanctum Concilium has 7, Lumen Gentium has 8, and Gaudium et Spes has 9.
All of them short enough.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums