• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Going back to Mass - what should I do?

Discussion in 'One Bread, One Body - Catholic' started by Called2Grace, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Called2Grace

Called2Grace My body, my birth my choice! Supporter

+215
    Christian
    Married
    AU-Labor
    I have been away from the church for a while now, and would like to return to Mass.
    I'm not sure if I should wait and speak to a priest first for reconciliation or if it is ok to go back before that?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Virgil the Roman

Virgil the Roman Young Fogey & Monarchist-Distributist . . .

+1,217
    United States
    Traditional. Cath.
    Private
    US-American-Solidarity
    Get to confession ASAP; and start going to Mass regularly. Start going to mass, when you next get the chance; you won't regret coming back! I'm glad that I did! :thumbsup:

I'll pray for you!
    :crossrc:

3. Called2Grace

+215
    Christian
    Married
    AU-Labor
    Thankyou. I am hoping to speak to a priest tomorrow before work, so I maybe able to arrange something.

That way I can go to Mass this Sunday. I'm very excited about going back, but am a little nervous about it.

I've been through a similar period before, and when I spoke to the priest then about it he was very supportive. He told me not to let embarrassment stop me from returning and that God would always take me back so to speak.

In the meantime while I wait, I am reconnecting through prayer. I just feel such a sense of relief. I can't believe I stayed away for so long.
    I didn't realise how much I missed the rosary. Holding it in my hands for the first time in ages made me cry.

4. Fantine

Fantine Dona Quixote Supporter

+7,229
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Democrat
    Even non-Catholics can go to Mass. Anyone can go to Mass.

If you are really uncomfortable, you might want to go to a few Masses with different priests or at different parishes to find a priest you will have a comfortable relationship with.

But if the priest you spoke to the last time you were in this situation is still there, than you already know someone you feel comfortable with, and you can bypass that step.

5. WarriorAngel

WarriorAngel I close my eyes and see you smile Supporter

+7,407
    Catholic
    Private
    A good soulful confession really does a body good. And I am happy for you... to feel the depth of His calling you home...His yearning for your return.

Come home, and be at peace.
    Pray the St Micheal the Arch Angel prayer often, and to the Holy Spirit to guide you.

:hug:

6. Ave Maria

Ave Maria Ave Maria Gratia Plena

+1,615
    United States
    Catholic
    Engaged
    US-Republican
    It's ok to go back before you receive the Sacrament of Reconciliation but do not receive the Eucharist until after you receive the Sacrament of Reconciliation. Anyway, welcome back! :clap:

7. Winter

Winter Jesus, let it be ok

+614
    Catholic
    Married
    I am happy for you. :hug: It is true what they say - the Lord guides us back home. May God bless you.

8. Rhamiel

Rhamiel Member of the Round Table

+8,861
    Catholic
    Single
    you can go back to mass anytime, but you need to go to confession before you can take communion
    i am glad you are comeing back sister

9. Called2Grace

+215
    Christian
    Married
    AU-Labor
    I'm really looking forward to it. But I'm nervous about seeing the priest.

Thank you for all your kind words.

10. helenofbritain

helenofbritain St Mary MacKillop of the Cross, pray for us

+652
    Catholic
    Married
    Is Fr Kevinstill at Kurri Kurri? Cos he's one of the nicest priests in our diocese!

You don't need to make an appointment - just turn up to parish confession on Saturday morning (the bulletin should tell you when exactly).

Also, remember in confession you're not going to see a priest - you're going to see Jesus. And He already knows exactly how you're feeling :)

Hope all is will with you and the little ones Michelle :hug:

11. Krentis

Krentis Active Member

+44
    Catholic
    Confession is ALWAYS a good, no great, thing....but it may or may not be necesarry before recieving the Eucharist depending on your unique circumstances. In any event, you are welcome at Mass no matter the state of your soul or the amount of faith you can muster up.

12. Called2Grace

+215
    Christian
    Married
    AU-Labor
    I'm not sure about fr Kevin. Will have to check. I'm working in kurri fri so will call in after work and see who is there.

I know that reconciliation is usually on at kurri on a sat afternoon. At cessnock I think it is on Sat morning, but I don't even know where the confessionals are at cessnock! :)

13. Rebekka

Rebekka meow meow meow meow meow meow

+1,147
    Married
    Welcome back! Good to see you here again. :)

14. MoNiCa4316

MoNiCa4316 Totus Tuus

+1,563
    Catholic
    Private
    Welcome back! :hug::hug::hug:I hope everything goes well.. that is wonderful that you want to return! I felt such a relief too when I decided to finally convert..haha.. Prayers for you... keep us updated :thumbsup: