• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

GoFundMe launched to pay for Trump's border wall, $1M in two days

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by LostMarbels, Dec 19, 2018.

1. TLK Valentine

TLK Valentine You will be who you will be. We are our choices.

+15,669
    Agnostic
    Single
    And, if he stays true to character, pocket the money himself.

2. Aryeh Jay

Aryeh Jay Veteran Supporter CF Senior Ambassador

+7,222
    United States
    Married
    Or sell Trump brand shovels with the Trump seal of approval.

3. iluvatar5150

iluvatar5150 Newbie

+8,195
    Other Religion
    Well, he's up over $6M and 100k individual contributors. While I think it's silly, he's obviously doing something right.

Aside from that, I wonder how the tax implications are going to shake out. As far as I can tell, donors are giving money straight to him, not to any registered charitable organization. Whatever he does with the money, that at least means that donors can't deduct it. If he turns around and gives it to the government, then he could deduct it from his own taxes ...however... the IRS caps the amount of charitable contributions you can deduct to 50% of your AGI. Assuming that this guy isn't making millions of dollars a year, that would mean that he'd have to pay income tax on about half of this.

With the tally sitting at $6M, that means $1.3M of this would go into the general fund, not towards the wall.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  4. Shiloh Raven

Shiloh Raven Don't let the Muggles get you down.

+10,229
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Green
    I wonder if he thought about the tax implications before he started his crusade. And wouldn't it be sad if this guy turns out to be a total sham and he takes all that donated money and leaves the country?

5. eleos1954

eleos1954 God is Love Supporter

+1,327
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    It is supposed to be the governments main and first responsibility to protect our county and they have plenty of tax dollars to do that .... yet they do not. Where money toward that end (speaking of the border) may come from ... will not change their failure nor compel them to do otherwise.

6. iluvatar5150

iluvatar5150 Newbie

+8,195
    Other Religion
    Unlikely - unless there was some pressing concern on his end that necessitated him getting this thing going *right now* instead of waiting to file some paperwork to set up a 501c3. From his description, it doesn't sound like he got any of the logistics squared away before asking people for *a billion dollars*. He says that he's talking to an attorney and has made contact with the administration, not that anything has been solidified.

Trump voters getting conned by a scam ?!?!?!?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. TLK Valentine

TLK Valentine You will be who you will be. We are our choices.

+15,669
    Agnostic
    Single
    Made in China, of course.

8. iluvatar5150

iluvatar5150 Newbie

+8,195
    Other Religion
    $6.6M. That's $500k in half an hour.

9. Hank77

Hank77 Well-Known Member Supporter

+8,986
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    No, they are suppose to be cleaning up truly fake news sites, sites that often just make things up, trolls, and foreign people disguising themselves as US residents.
    You know they got in trouble right? Zuckerberg got called on the carpet by the Congress for several things they have done and allowed to happen with people's private info., etc.

10. Nithavela

Nithavela lologist

+9,541
    Germany
    Other Religion
    Single
    Propably going viral.

My bet is that it will peter out at 50 million.

11. Go Braves

Go Braves On semi-hiatus here. Y'all take care.

+6,869
    United States
    Baptist
    In Relationship
    US-Republican
    Lol. Oh I absolutely get that, but you get that Trump doesn't seem himself as a troll, don't you? That most of his supporters don't see it that way at all. A bunch of folks fully believed him when he repeatedly promised that Mexico would pay for the wall. Y'all may be wanting to poke fun at the media for it, but the rest of the world pokes fun at y'all for doing that.

Well, as a Christian I'd be worried about anybody living well below the poverty line who decides to squander their money on what even they have acknowledged is trolling. So long as you're not living off the government in any way, not on disability or anything like that but earning every dime you make, it's all yours to do with as you please.

OK........? Strange you keep giving away so many unrequested details about your life that sure do seem like you're wanting some sympathy, but OK.

The way you came across, I thought you'd be so old you'd be way beyond being able to figure out a new career path for yourself.

Well I'm sorry to hear that. My uncle who owns the construction company I've been working for during summers since HS was in a bad car accident that left him needing to use a cane in his 50s. He still owns the company & gets around everyplace he needs to be.

Well, what's stopping you from learning it now?

Cool. Do you get business from hispanic folks, some of whom could have / could be migrants? A buddy runs a stand that sells fireworks, along with peanuts & other stuff in GA. A lot of the fireworks are bought for those big parties that are thrown for girls when they turn 15.

12. Go Braves

+6,869
    United States
    Baptist
    In Relationship
    US-Republican
    me.jpg

13. grasping the after wind

grasping the after wind That's grasping after the wind

+2,885
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Others
    I think the worth of the things inside the United States is much more than a measly 5 billion.

14. grasping the after wind

+2,885
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Others

Why not give everyone not a US citizen English language courses?

15. grasping the after wind

+2,885
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Others
    Congress has no authority to make Zuckerberg do anything.

16. Hank77

+8,986
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    And you approve of this land grab?

Post the link please.

17. adrianmonk

adrianmonk Newbie

+25
    Atheist
    In Relationship
    US-Democrat
    I'll chip in money for a ton of Rosetta Stone packages.

Demographics are changing, and being multi lingual is generally a good thing. As a polyglot I am all for this.

18. JackRT

JackRT Flat earther waking up ... Supporter

+11,314
    Canada
    Freethinker
    Married
    And refresher courses for a whole lot of those who are citizens.

19. Hank77

+8,986
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    Congress writes laws, they make the rules, so he may not want to rock the boat.

20. Go Braves

+6,869
    United States
    Baptist
    In Relationship
    US-Republican
    Lmbo. That's on par with comparing a drop of water from the faucet to the ocean. All those establishments are a fraction of the size of the length of the border. They were designed with having a wall in mind. It's logical for them to have it.

You do realize that even if the "boarder wall" as Donald calls it got all the funding it needs it wouldn't be finished for a good long while. Then even after that, it would take much longer to see effects on the job market? You're already acting like you're too old to figure out a way to reinvent yourself. You're really going to be old then. Again it wouldn't do a dang thing about all the Spanish speaking folks who have the right to be here, who have the jobs you want.

Nope. You need to correct yourself. Once again you've listed out choices you've made for yourself. That's entirely on you. Again Donald Trump hires folks specifically on account of how they're willing to do the work for low pay. Three of his resorts gave out the visas to folks coming in from Central America last year. He hired ONE American worker.

Strange you'd think that given as how you just went on & on about how all these other folks had the jobs you couldn't do on account of the language, or your age, or whatever. I'm half your age & make well more than double what you do, not even working in my field yet, not even working full time year-round. It's all from figuring out what it takes to do well. I've had plenty of my own boo hoos in life too.