God's Wrath...To believe the OT or not.

Xalith

Apr 6, 2015
✟19,943.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Ok...here is another twist that will make you mind explode. If God is omniscient, how can he be happy or angry or have any emotion whatsoever if everything is happening exactly how he expected it?

He created Man and gave him Free Will.

Yes, He knows what will happen, but yet, that doesn't mean He won't get angry at it.

How many times have you watched a movie, where you already knew the ending, but you still wound up saying something like "Look behind you, idiot!!" even though you know full well they won't and they will end up getting killed anyways?

Reactions: ToBeLoved
Upvote 0

topcare

The Eucharist is Life
Apr 8, 2014
✟12,064.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
That's not what John was referring to, the Messiah as conceived of in Judaism, was expected to take up David's seat as King, destroy Israels oppressors and rule the earth from Israel. Those hearing John would have understood him to mean wrath was eminent, not in 40 years. Besides, that wasn't wrath, Israel was simply un-chosen, they lost another war.

It was wrath for rejecting Christ

Upvote 0

Job8

Dec 1, 2014
✟21,583.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Along with my thread on hell this topic came up. Do Christians believe in the OT anymore? If God is the same yesterday, today, and forever than He also has wrath or is there a different God in the NT?
Not according to the New Testament.

For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness; Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them. (Romans 1:18,19).

Upvote 0

mikpat

Apr 25, 2016
Evans, GA
✟15,816.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Wrath is a human emotion not God's. As one guest stated "justice' is the issue, it is one of God's attributes, just as : goodness, beauty, immutability, simplicity, infinite, perfect, eternal, omniscient, and a few more.

It's not necessary to believe everything in the Bible——-especially when you read it on your own or in isolation——Full of parables, metaphors, analogies, symbols, etc … if you are sincere and honest, the Holy Spirit will look out after you…..

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Ok...here is another twist that will make you mind explode. If God is omniscient, how can he be happy or angry or have any emotion whatsoever if everything is happening exactly how he expected it?
No problem. (except for the worldly thinking)
God isn't happy, or angry, or have any emotion whatsoever... ...
To know this,
to understand it,
a person has to be crucified with Christ before the creation of the world, as it is written.

So, again, no problem (for ekklesia born again, crucified with Christ before the creation of the world as it is written.) .

For everyone else - no worries ; not even a thought about this.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Along with my thread on hell this topic came up. Do Christians believe in the OT anymore? If God is the same yesterday, today, and forever than He also has wrath or is there a different God in the NT?

Of course I think that God has wrath tempered by His Love

Gods justice and mercy are reconciled in Christ. He is still the same, and ever single sin will be paid for. He has not changed in nature. He is holy. What has changed is that His wrath (against sin and sinner) was poured out on Christ. Outside of Christ, there is no escaping the judgement to come.

There is not a different God, but a different covenant.

Upvote 0

JoeP222w

Nov 5, 2015
✟77,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Yes, Christians believe in the Old Testament.

Yes, God still has a righteous and holy wrath against those who continue to rebel against Him in their sin.
And if one does not understand the holiness and perfection of God and His righteous wrath against sin, His mercy and grace and love are robbed of their meaning.

Jesus did not change the law, He fulfilled it.

God's attributes work in perfect unison with one another. Love is not His dominant attribute, nor does that mean that His love is meaningless.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bryce Harris

Jun 19, 2016
Texas
✟15,461.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship

As Christians we believe in the Old and the New but we now live in the new who is our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married

This may be a little nit-picky, but such is theology.

God's love and wrath are not like yin and yang. He is not in balance between these two poles. His wrath is assuaged by the sacrifice of the Son.

Upvote 0

topcare

The Eucharist is Life
Apr 8, 2014
✟12,064.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This may be a little nit-picky, but such is theology.

God's love and wrath are not like yin and yang. He is not in balance between these two poles. His wrath is assuaged by the sacrifice of the Son.

Yes I see now though I was raised that way in Sunday School that Christ on the Cross tempered God the Father's wrath.

Upvote 0

Razare

God gave me a throne
Nov 20, 2014
✟10,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I believe in God's wrath.

Every person alive today deserves to die a death worse than the suffering of Job. Read the curses of Deuteronomy 28, you deserve it and I deserve it. I definitely believe everyone deserves this death.

And it's God's mercy that we don't all die right now. And it's his greater mercy through the cross to put your wrath there, and free you from all his wrath eternally. If we are not eternally free from wrath, then we'll have to suffer an eternity of wrath in heaven where God will smite us every day because Christ's atonement was never enough to save us here and now from his wrath. But it was enough, more than enough, he paid for sin 7 times over. He was worth more than all the sins of the world. And if God's wrath slips through the cracks of the atonement, then it wasn't final or finished.

And this is the righteousness of God by faith. Has nothing to do with morality. Morality teaches that we are all terrible people deserving of death. If we believe the law, then when you look at inappropriate content, you should then be honest and go find someone to stone you to death, because if you commit fornication in your heart, you have done it according to Jesus Christ. Therefore, you should be stoned to death. This is just and it is good. But a Christian who believes Jesus on this point, should also believe him when he said he took the sins of all the world upon the cross and appointed his apostles to preach this to us. And if it is taken and put away, it is.

In the courtroom of God, every Christian has been convicted. We have not been found innocent of sin, past, present or future. We were found guilty. Then, during our sentencing hearing, Christ is the person who takes our capital punishment, which was execution. This is the atonement.

So the OT law, is the basis for giving us capital punishment, so we might die to our old nature, our old life, and live a new life. It is in effect, condemning the whole world of all their sins. And it condemned every Christian at the cross where they died in Christ.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I believe in God's wrath.

Every person alive today deserves to die a death worse than the suffering of Job. Read the curses of Deuteronomy 28, you deserve it and I deserve it. I definitely believe everyone deserves this death.

And it's God's mercy that we don't all die right now. And it's his greater mercy through the cross to put your wrath there, and free you from all his wrath eternally. If we are not eternally free from wrath, then we'll have to suffer an eternity of wrath in heaven where God will smite us every day because Christ's atonement was never enough to save us here and now from his wrath. But it was enough, more than enough, he paid for sin 7 times over. He was worth more than all the sins of the world. And if God's wrath slips through the cracks of the atonement, then it wasn't final or finished.

And this is the righteousness of God by faith. Has nothing to do with morality. Morality teaches that we are all terrible people deserving of death. If we believe the law, then when you look at inappropriate content, you should then be honest and go find someone to stone you to death, because if you commit fornication in your heart, you have done it according to Jesus Christ. Therefore, you should be stoned to death. This is just and it is good. But a Christian who believes Jesus on this point, should also believe him when he said he took the sins of all the world upon the cross and appointed his apostles to preach this to us. And if it is taken and put away, it is.

In the courtroom of God, every Christian has been convicted. We have not been found innocent of sin, past, present or future. We were found guilty. Then, during our sentencing hearing, Christ is the person who takes our capital punishment, which was execution. This is the atonement.

So the OT law, is the basis for giving us capital punishment, so we might die to our old nature, our old life, and live a new life. It is in effect, condemning the whole world of all their sins. And it condemned every Christian at the cross where they died in Christ.
Amen! What a great gift we have been given.

Why doesn't everyone believe and be saved? I dunno.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Galilee63

Dec 14, 2013
Australia
✟43,924.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Jesus said Himself in His Holy Word that all of our hairs are counted on our heads by God our Heavenly Father and The Holy Spirit with Jesus. All of our sins and wrongdoings are shown and it is through Jesus and His Mercy turning to Jesus, focussing on Jesus and His Bitter Passion we are able to more greatly "receive" Jesus into our hearts in Communion with Him. Jesus is the way to The Father God our Creator and Holy Spirit and our Blessed Virgin Mother Mary with and through Jesus is our Loving Holy Intercessory. When our souls pass over to be judged if we do not have Jesus, Mother Mary, any Saints, Martyrs, Priests or Prophets that we have asked to pray for our souls, we face God in His wrath - firm wrath unlike anything our beings have ever known in His Decisiveness eternally. If people are true Christians and have read Jesus' Holy Word within His New Testament and believe and trust in Jesus, then people should know that it is through Jesus' Mercy and turning to Jesus in trust and love to Jesus and gratitude for Him suffering and dying on His Cross for us that we need to repent sins to Jesus in remorse from our hearts to avoid Hell, Purgatory and enter Heaven.

Jesus waits for souls to pray to Him His Divine Mercy Chaplet, His Holy Wound Chaplet, The Five Holy Wound Chaplet of His, focussing on His Bitter Passion entering His Sacred Heart and receiving His Sacred Heart eternally. Jesus said that anyone whom prays His Chaplet of Mercy just once during their earthly lives is taken into His Mercy now and at the hour of death. The Holy Wound Chaplet is non-denominational in terms of without The Creed and can be prayed by any Christian or non-Christian without them feeling things about their religious component of their faith in Jesus, God and The Holy Spirit.

Immersing one's heart and soul in Jesus Holy Wounds focussing on Jesus and His bitter Passion from my experienceand relationship with our Lord Jesus is the way to go daily!

All the best

Upvote 0

The Hammer of Witches

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jun 7, 2016
America
✟14,999.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
It is the same God, there are signs of his wrath and love in the OT and the NT. He rightly displays anger when Israel turns away, but he takes them back and reestablishes them because he loves his people. His love and wrath is displayed in the NT too. Christ's sacrifice was out of love, and the entire book of Revelation is his judgement on an unbelieving world that rejected the messiah. God does not change, God is love and life, and if you reject his love you bring his wrath upon you.

Upvote 0

Timothew

Conditionalist
Aug 24, 2009
✟21,514.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

If you look at the OT, God's wrath results in destruction. The destruction of Sodom, the destruction of those in Noah's time, etc.

God is the same in the NT, look at John 3:36
"Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God's wrath remains on them."
(NIV)

When God's wrath remains on someone, they do not receive eternal life, they will not see eternal life. They will be destroyed, just as the people of Sodom were destroyed in the OT. (This exact point is raised in Jude 1:7 and 2 Peter 2:6) The NT offers us a way to escape the destruction of the wrath of God, by faith in God's Son. Though Him we can have eternal life. This is actually the SAME way that the OT Saints were saved from God's wrath, but faith in God.

I agree with you that God has wrath tempered by His Love, "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life" (John 3:16 NIV)
As another poster has pointed out, God is not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Downhill Prevention!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,132,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

God is the same; and Jesus is that same God. And so, the O.T. is still an expression of God's will, although now that we've entered the N.T. era, there's more to the scope of God's plan which is evident to us than was evident to all those Israelites living during O.T. times.

2PhiloVoid

Upvote 0