USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Hello! I am a little confused. I’ve been growing closer to God and have been living a strong Christian life. I renewed my mind and left behind my fleshy self. I live for God and not the world. I’m a little confused about pleasure. I enjoy having 1 or 2 iced coffees from Starbucks( nothing extravagant, just a cheap coffee) a week. I sometimes go out to dinner with my family and we are going to Vegas soon. I enjoy every meal I eat and eat simple but things I like. I have a cup of coffee in the morning. I am a little confused if these go against Gods will. I don’t want to displease God over having a Starbucks or I have do something fun. Does it displease God if I have a Starbucks here and there or enjoy pleasure? I’m just making sure none of this goes against Gods will. I’m just looking for advice. I thank God for all of this.
I don't think drinking Starbucks is a sin or an ungodly pleasure.

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
None of those things is inherently wrong. What it in your heart is what matters. If you are trying to waste money, then it would be wrong, since we are to be good stewards of what God has given us. If you are generally spending your money wisely, then I wouldn't worry.

Command those who are rich in this present world not to be arrogant nor to put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but to put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment. (1 Timothy 6:17, 1984 NIV)

For everything God created is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving, (1 Timothy 4:4, 1984 NIV)

• Agree
Reactions: Tolworth John
Upvote 0

Serving Zion

Seek First His Kingdom & Righteousness
May 7, 2016
Revelation 21:2
✟223,022.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hello! I am a little confused. I’ve been growing closer to God and have been living a strong Christian life. I renewed my mind and left behind my fleshy self. I live for God and not the world. I’m a little confused about pleasure. I enjoy having 1 or 2 iced coffees from Starbucks( nothing extravagant, just a cheap coffee) a week. I sometimes go out to dinner with my family and we are going to Vegas soon. I enjoy every meal I eat and eat simple but things I like. I have a cup of coffee in the morning. I am a little confused if these go against Gods will. I don’t want to displease God over having a Starbucks or I have do something fun. Does it displease God if I have a Starbucks here and there or enjoy pleasure? I’m just making sure none of this goes against Gods will. I’m just looking for advice. I thank God for all of this.
I am concerned that you are feeling guilty about this .. as though you might be heading down a path that makes Christianity a burden (Hosea 2:18, Luke 11:46) rather than a way of life (Matthew 11:28, Hebrews 4:11)..

.. but then again, you don't want to be resisting your conscience if God really is trying to tell you something. So I wonder if you could explain the reason that you think it might be wrong?

Upvote 0

Kota

Sep 18, 2018
USA
✟23,450.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am concerned that you are feeling guilty about this .. as though you might be heading down a path that makes Christianity a burden (Hosea 2:18, Luke 11:46) rather than a way of life (Matthew 11:28, Hebrews 4:11)..

.. but then again, you don't want to be resisting your conscience if God really is trying to tell you something. So I wonder if you could explain the reason that you think it might be wrong?
I’m just making sure these things do not go against Gods will.

Upvote 0

akaDaScribe

Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2018
Boston Area
✟97,444.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Well... Starbucks is kind of expensive. It's a gray area.
But trolling is definitely a sin.;)

Upvote 0

Serving Zion

Seek First His Kingdom & Righteousness
May 7, 2016
Revelation 21:2
✟223,022.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
When Jesus said let him deny himself, it makes me wonder if he is saying to deny pleasure or deny self( the flesh) and submit to God. I have seen people say that you might have to deny non sinful pleasures to follow God and it also makes me wonder if I should deny pleasures.
He also said a person must take up his own cross to follow Him, which shows it's a bit more serious than only denying one's self a pleasure.. another thing He said is that our enemies will be in our own household, and then later on James has said that whoever makes himself a friend of the world is an enemy of God. So I interpret that (according to my experience) in light of 1 John 4:4 and 1 John 5:19, that rather to deny one's self is to really stand up for what is right when the world comes against us for it, because it is we who represent God to the world, and the strength of His image depends upon the strength of our representation.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,237.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Jesus said that it isn't what goes into a person, but what comes out his mouth. As a man is in his heart, so he speaks. If you are conducting yourself according to the fruit of the Spirit as outlined in Galatians 5, then it doesn't matter what you eat and enjoy.

• Agree
Reactions: Tolworth John
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,237.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
When Jesus said let him deny himself, it makes me wonder if he is saying to deny pleasure or deny self( the flesh) and submit to God. I have seen people say that you might have to deny non sinful pleasures to follow God and it also makes me wonder if I should deny pleasures.
Watch for those who try to persuade you to live according to their set of rules. Paul is quite clear in Romans that living and walking in the Spirit is not a matter of following external rules, either your own or those of others. The standard is the fruit of the Spirit in Galatians 5, and it is the Holy Spirit in us that enables us to conduct ourselves that way. Following an external set of rules is a denial of Christ. The Scripture says that as we walk in the Spirit we will not fulfil the lusts of the flesh. And the works of the flesh are clearly outlined in Galatians 5 as well. I don't see enjoying a good cup of coffee in the morning or at Starbucks is included in that list. If drinking a good cup of coffee brings you peace and joy, you can't go far wrong there!

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟735,652.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Ekkk ... if God did not let me have coffee I might be an atheist by now. Coffee is fine. Although we are to obey the bible, and follow all commands in the New Testament, there is flexibility in things like, coffee, TV, movies, computer games, entertainments. God is not against these things, we just need to keep a balanced view. The bible says:

Ecc 7:16-18 So don't destroy yourself by being too good or acting too smart! Don't die before your time by being too evil or acting like a fool. Keep to the middle of the road. You can do this if you truly respect God.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
’m just making sure none of this goes against Gods will. I’m just looking for advice. I thank God for all of this.

The question is:-
What is God's will for you and your life?

I don't know but I can give you a hint.
Romans ch 12 verses 1+2.

Read them and as verse 2 says start getting 'bible biased brains.'

Suggestion, if you are going to live as frugily as you possible can. What are you going to do with the money you save?

Another verse to confuse you.
John 10 v 10, I am come that they might have life to the full.

Up to you to work out how you can do this.

Upvote 0