Scottish Joy

Veteran
Feb 17, 2005
✟9,185.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
To expand on my post about how I parent my son, I have to say that I don't subscribe to any typical parenting method. I have never been the type to fit social norms or expectations. I have always been the type that loves God, seeks His will and I just tap in to my authentic self and just go from there. I am generally open to any parenting method and I usually can find at least one useful thing from any book I read and I have no problem just discarding what I find does not jive with my spirit. Overall, I'd say that I employ a balanced and authentic parenting approach. When I tried to do it some other person's way, it always felt unnatural and left me with no peace. I suppose these are some questions I pose to myself: does my parenting provide peace or uneasiness in my spirit? Does it feel authentic or contrived? Is my relationship with my son growing or suffering? Is he thriving? Does my home feel like a place of safety, warmth and that God's presence is filling every aspect of my home? Sometimes a situation warrants an authoritative response, other times it warrants gentleness and flexibility.

About God just being about grace, let's not forget that God is the same today as He was yesterday. Yes He is merciful but He is also just. And the God of the OT is still the same God today. He is unchanging, Jesus is our advocate on behalf of God the Father. I have felt the times I have grieved the Holy Spirit and I felt the distance between myself and God due to my own sinfulness and it has been a painful time to know that I had lost some favor in His eyes. But just like that, He has forgiven me when I have turned from my sin and repented of my rebelliousness. Even Jesus displayed His judgment in the temple and with the fig tree.

Good post. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

tupelo

Oct 17, 2007
✟15,128.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
My wife and I originally set out to be stricter and to spank according to how we were raised. I turned out okay and so did she. Then our first kid was born. I took one look at him and well, to tell you the truth, my whole outlook on everything changed. Encountered some repressed memories of frustration and anger towards my folks that I've since worked out.

They did the best they could with what they knew. Knowledge is the beginning of Wisdom, so I read lots of books, looked through many interpretations - talk about gray area, whoa.
So, to answer the question. We do use positive rewards and praise. We don't strike our kids. We help them set boundaries and make decisions based on God's Word.

You have a little tike. Keep reading cause the years will pass and you will need some guidelines to help you guide him. Have Dad read to him every night and build that same bond you build. It's not just about Mom ya know? Okay, then.

Reactions: BananaCake
Upvote 0

jessesgirl

Aspire to inspire before you expire
Aug 1, 2006
Texas
Visit site
✟29,916.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My wife and I originally set out to be stricter and to spank according to how we were raised. I turned out okay and so did she. Then our first kid was born. I took one look at him and well, to tell you the truth, my whole outlook on everything changed. Encountered some repressed memories of frustration and anger towards my folks that I've since worked out.

They did the best they could with what they knew. Knowledge is the beginning of Wisdom, so I read lots of books, looked through many interpretations - talk about gray area, whoa.
So, to answer the question. We do use positive rewards and praise. We don't strike our kids. We help them set boundaries and make decisions based on God's Word.

You have a little tike. Keep reading cause the years will pass and you will need some guidelines to help you guide him. Have Dad read to him every night and build that same bond you build. It's not just about Mom ya know? Okay, then.
If dad would read to him everynight, I would be all about it. It is only all about mom because mom is the only one that is around 90% of the time. He has dad's weekends, though. They shower together, play together and spend virtually the entire weekend attached at the hip. During the week, though, I am the only one around. Sorry. That's just how it is :wave:

It is good to hear a dad say they don't spank...I know most of the time, mommies are the ones who are torn, not so much the daddies. :thumbsup: Good for you for stepping up and making the best decision for your family!

Upvote 0

Leanna

Just me
Jul 20, 2004
✟24,278.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When DH is home he reads a story at bedtime, I read a story at bedtime, and David "reads" a story at bedtime.

My husband is and has always been completely on board with the no-spanking thing ... he just doesn't post on parenting boards or even christian boards, only sports boards :cool:

Upvote 0

clycleader

Sep 18, 2006
Midwest
✟8,906.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Great post. I've enjoyed reading it. Thank you for all your openness everyone. I am not the OP, but have been talking w/ my husband about discipline and about things we agree and disagree on. Very enlightening to read other peoples thoughts. Especially Christian thoughts.

Upvote 0