God's voice

Lavis Knight said:
How does one hear God's voice? I do not nessisarily mean a physical voice, but many people claim to hear God's voice in one way or another (After all if they did not then how could anyone say this is God's will or God wishes me to do this ect..)

How does one discern such a thing from their own desires and from the voices and opinions of others?
I was just browsing through some of the older posts and I came across yours. It caught my attention because I tend to ask these same questions. I tell the following story in many of my posts..only because it's what got me involved with religion in the first place.
My boyfriend is a born-again Christian. He once told me a story about how when he was about 15, he was into the parties, drugs, drinking, magick, listening to Marilyn Manson, Slipknot, etc. He then said that he had this strange "experience" and after that he just felt like everything was lifted off his shoulders and he wanted to change for the better. He gave it all up and wanted to "know God". He told me that he remembers being able to feel the presence and know that it was God. He tried to explain to me that it was the greatest feeling in the world.
I tried to understand but I just never really was sure. I wanted to believe that you really could hear God and I hoped for a long time that I would be able to hear Him, but I never did. I didn't know whether it was Him, or if it was just me telling myself that it was. I struggle a lot with trying to find my religion and beliefs. Right now I say that I do believe there is a God but I do not have a specific religion that I follow. I have so many questions and "what ifs" and doubts.
I don't really know if this is any interest to you or anyone else posting on here, but I thought it kind of related a little and I'd love to hear what people have to say about it. All opinions are greatly appreciated.
:confused:

Upvote 0

Lucubratus

Mar 16, 2004
✟683.00
Faith
Non-Denom
That's true, Havoc - there's a lot of the Christian God in here, haven't heard much from Wiccans or Polytheists. I'm curious if anyone's heard the voice in whatever fashion.

I just wanted to insert a little comment or two as to how I feel it- I don't get the feeling that he's constantly talking to me every single moment of every day but is watching and waiting for the moment when I want to talk to him and actually listen. When I do that of course, he's delighted - especially when I am doing it voluntarily and not out of a guilty conscious.
Everything else, like stopping to smell the roses and the like - is just a reminder. Or some more powerful reminders for something VERY important. ;-)

I know I've had that big "If" question myself as to whether or not the voice you hear is truly God or just your own desires or fears of Satan trying to get at you. I think part of that can be answered not so much by striving to know so much more about God and how he's trying to communicate with you but trying to understand your own self a little better and what your isms are. God dwells within us, but how are you going to get to God better if your own mind can't get past the sin you committed two years ago or two days ago or running a scripture in your head that you just can't get? I also think sometimes someone can get an overdose on the Bible and scriptures isn't the only thing that's going to get you closer - sorting out all that clutter in your head before you sit down to have a chat I feel is what God's wanting from you at many different times. (and there's also other people who come along and say something that could be totally random but you get an epiphany of God from them)

My little funkiness about the voice of God...

A lame example would be, by nature I am really kind of sarcastic and sometimes it flies out of my mouth quite naturally and someone will think it was quite clever and I would be like, "Huh? What's so clever?" and they would think I was being sarcastic again.
So if I hear this little inner voice in my head being a smart aleck, I know that's not God because I don't see a lot of sarcasm in the bible and that just doesn't strike me as how he is, though maybe I am wrong since he does have a sense of humor. (umm...I just realized that sounded sarcastic and I didn't mean it. Honestly)

I don't know about the rest of you excellent people - but we all have our own voice that we can hear with our own ears -- how many of you hear that same voice in your mind? Like when you're typing, are you "speaking" the text in your mind? I do that all the time and it sounds like the voice I have when I verbalize. Likewise, when I'm in a funk - my voice alters. My mind's voice changes with it. Same thing with happy thoughts. I can sing passing well in real life - but you know what? I don't have the voice of an Opera star in my mind. heh heh. So I do think it's about learning all of your inner little gotcha's and that helps with your discernment. If I hear a soprano going off in my mind I KNOW that's not me it's probably Mozart's requiem I listened to replaying itself because some part of my brain is bored.

Sometimes, on very few priveleged and blessed occasions - I have heard God in this fashion. He sounded very authoritative but not frighteningly so - just umm...stern I guess the word is. The phrase "Hear me and obey" pretty much sums it up. LOL! I knew it was God because no matter how I could rationalize the thing I wanted to do, that voice wasn't going to buy the excuses and basically said "shut up - stop it. don't do it dummy." It's quite easy for me to talk myself into something that I think is good for me but it's not very easy to talk myself out of something when it "feels good" (like chocolate - I can justify chocolate and luckily God doesn't seem to mind since it's not an excess..heehee) But likewise, I have also heard that gentle compassionate side as well. It's just this "presence" that goes with the voice. It can be really an overwhelming feeling and quite awesome. (especially when dealing with my insomnia, it gets ROUGH sometimes and when I finally shut up enough in my mind to talk to God, He's liken to your Mom or Dad tucking you in. I prayed that he could just knock me out the second my head hit that pillow but no such luck yet ;-)

If you ever have any doubt - well there's the "test the spirit". It works in your mind as well as it would in a physical sense.

I think that's why meditation is such a useful thing to learn.

Upvote 0
If we are wise in our own eyes(intellectually bound) we hear very little from God. The ones that hear God the most are those who have failed and have given up the folly of trying to direct their own lives. Beware of religiously successful people who have no testimony of being brought to NOTHING so God could REMAKE them whole in Christ. Many people that are scripturally smart have no true repentance....just carnal understanding of the words on the page.

Upvote 0

Cameron

Spiritual Seeker
Mar 18, 2004
✟7,859.00
Faith
Buddhist
I'm curious if anyone's heard the voice in whatever fashion.

I've never heard God's voice. When I was a Christian I felt deep emotion and praying was my way of talking to him not that I ever got a verbal reply. After I lost faith in his existance I still didn't hear from him.

I understand what you mean about the different voices in your head, I experience the same but no God one. The closest I can think of is the inner arising of wisdom and understanding, when I can connect to my spiritual self in a strong way, it's more a listening or silent communication though, I don't attribute it to God.

Upvote 0
If it's in line with the written Word of God and moves me forward spiritually, I take it by faith. You just have to know that He knows you and have confidence that you know Him. If you talk to Him a lot anyway even if you miss it a little bit He'll get you back on the straight and narrow. Find a way to stay light-hearted. We don't have to put ourselves on a heavy head trip. Since we've been saved and filled with the Holy Ghost God is ENTHRONED on the inside of us, therefore He watches over us to do us good(there's a scripture in the OT about that). I just trust Him.

Upvote 0

suz13

Mar 30, 2004
Pennsylvania
✟113.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Lavis Knight said:
Hi, i'm pretty new here.. i took a look around the forums for a place to put this and noticed my options were a little limited.. so i hope i put it in the right spot.

How does one hear God's voice? I do not nessisarily mean a physical voice, but many people claim to hear God's voice in one way or another (After all if they did not then how could anyone say this is God's will or God wishes me to do this ect..)

How does one discern such a thing from their own desires and from the voices and opinions of others?

Thank you

-Lavis
thank you Lavis Knight for asking such a great question.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Arthra

Baha'i
Feb 20, 2004
California
Visit site
✟71,812.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I think the way to "hear God's voice" is to be listening for it....by calming your soul and listening. Also by studying the Holy Scriptures one can gather how God has dealt with mankind in the past.

Also by humbling oneself we can begin to discern i think a pattern in events that reveals divine providence.

So being open to God and selfless I think are good ways to "hear" the voice of God.

- Art

Upvote 0