God's sovereignty and the responsibility of mankind. A reformed question.

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟918,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I think I must mention. I embrace reformed theology as truth and the truth of scripture but im having a hard time accepting this question. That being said, Gods sovereignty and mans responsiblility go hand in hand. On one field we have God's sovereignty. Which means that God declares everything that comes to pass and there is nothing that has happened or ever will happen that wasn't foreordained by God (Ps 139:16, Is 46:10-13).

On the other field we have mankind's responsibility to accept Christ. My question is, if God has declared everything that comes to pass how therefore can we avoid God's wrath and how can God still be a just God by leaving the lost in their sins and then declaring on judgement day that they're guilty for not believing? Again, I don't mean to make fun of or disprove reformed theology I'm just asking a question. Because, nobody can do anything outside of God's will. I know Paul answered this very question with a "shut up. You don't understand who you are and who God is and we have no right to tell God how to be." But, I would like an answer beyond "Shut up".

For example, say person A recieves faith from God and person B is left in their sin. Person B gets justice and the other gets grace neither gets injustice. This is a truth in reformed theology. But, how can God still keep his sinless character by declaring one lost and the other sanctified and how is this truth so?

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I think I must mention. I embrace reformed theology as truth and the truth of scripture but im having a hard time accepting this question. That being said, Gods sovereignty and mans responsiblility go hand in hand. On one field we have God's sovereignty. Which means that God declares everything that comes to pass and there is nothing that has happened or ever will happen that wasn't foreordained by God (Ps 139:16, Is 46:10-13).

God sovereignly ordained the "Whosoever will" model for the Gospel

God sovereignly ordained His own Will such that "God is not WILLING for any to perish but for all to come to repentance" 2 Peter 3.

Rom 2:11 "God is not partial" is not a shady marketing gimmick -- it is gospel truth.

God did not command anyone to take His name in vain.
God did not command anyone to engage in rebellion against Him.

God does not dictate that someone sins and then condemn them for following His own dictation.

Even so God knows the end from the beginning with absolute certainty. Every single detail.

On the other field we have mankind's responsibility to accept Christ. My question is, if God has declared everything that comes to pass how therefore can we avoid God's wrath and how can God still be a just God by leaving the lost in their sins and then declaring on judgement day that they're guilty for not believing?

Is 5:4 has God asking the reader "what more could I have done -- other than that which I have already done? Why then do we have this bad outcome for Israel?"

There are many places in the Bible where God takes that position. Instead of saying "well of course you are in rebellion that is exactly what I willed for you".

"whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely. " (Revelation 22:17)

Jesus said that He "Draws ALL mankind unto Him" John 12:32 - instead of saying "Draws just the FEW of Matt 7 that get arbitrarily selected for heaven"

Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
You cannot pigeonhole God. He is beyond human understanding. God is sovereign. Man is responsible. From God's point of view, everything is settled. But from our point of view, the gospel is still to be preached, Christians encouraged, taught, exhorted and so on. God chooses to give the responsibility to His people.

If you try to work it out intellectually, your brain will explode. One day all our questions will be answered. Until then, we can only trust the unfailing goodness and righteousness of our loving God.

Reactions: Nettle
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Ezek 18:
30 “Therefore I will judge you, house of Israel, each according to his conduct,” declares the Lord God. “Repent and turn away from all your offenses, so that wrongdoing does not become a stumbling block to you. 31 Hurl away from you all your offenses which you have committed and make yourselves a new heart and a new spirit! For why should you die, house of Israel? 32 For I take no pleasure in the death of anyone who dies,” declares the Lord God. “Therefore, repent and live!”

Not a gimmick
Not marketing
It is real serious Gospel fact.

Reactions: dms1972
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
You cannot pigeonhole God. .

God accurately declares who He is in His word... if a given system of theology is not getting that right - it cannot be blamed on God or on scripture - but on the one who is relaying an inaccurate picture of God.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
God accurately declares who He is in His word... if a given system of theology is not getting that right - it cannot be blamed on God or on scripture - but on the one who is relaying an inaccurate picture of God.
The problem is that man's reason and logic are inadequate to comprehend the things of God. Who decides what is accurate and what is not?

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟918,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
The problem is that man's reason and logic are inadequate to comprehend the things of God. Who decides what is accurate and what is not?

Ultimately it's God and scripture that decides what is true and what's not.

But that's probably why Paul said "shut up". Mankind is incapable of understanding God and why he judges as he does. We just have to trust that God is who he and the angels say he is. Holy and without any trace of evil.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟122,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

On the other field we have mankind's responsibility to accept Christ. My question is, if God has declared everything that comes to pass how therefore can we avoid God's wrath and how can God still be a just God by leaving the lost in their sins and then declaring on judgement day that they're guilty for not believing? Again, I don't mean to make fun of or disprove reformed theology I'm just asking a question. Because, nobody can do anything outside of God's will. I know Paul answered this very question with a "shut up. You don't understand who you are and who God is and we have no right to tell God how to be." But, I would like an answer beyond "Shut up".

For example, say person A recieves faith from God and person B is left in their sin. Person B gets justice and the other gets grace neither gets injustice. This is a truth in reformed theology. But, how can God still keep his sinless character by declaring one lost and the other sanctified and how is this truth so?
I understand your sentiment.

Hell is a serious problem: it is eternal and permanent. For God to predetermine our eternal destiny, even though we are responsible for it, presents Him as an arbitrarily partial Creator. I say arbitrarily, because, those whom He elects had nothing in themselves that influenced their calling. Why He decided to choose Sam instead Tim has nothing to do with Sam or Tim, but still, that choice will have profound and eternal consequences for the both of them. If Tim was destined from eternity, in God's love, to eternal life, then Sam was destined from eternity, in God's wrath, to eternal damnation, for no actual reason in themselves. This is very partial, but arbitrary on a human level of understanding. If we use Paul's logic in Romans 9:22-23, then God has the right to create a majority of people for no other purpose but to show how much He loved His chosen few. The reprobate, in this case, who will consist of 99% of humanity, have no other ultimate meaning but to show that they weren't eternally loved by their Creator, and that they were only meant serve those whom God wanted to shower His covenant love on. So, from my perspective, this presents God in a very impersonal light toward His own fallen creatures who were victims of the fall. Yes, people commit sin, which has serious consequences, but at the same time, because they are serious, the fact that people are born sinners and cannot free themselves without God's effectual grace working in them makes any rational person cringe at the thought of it. Again, people are born to be condemned if that is the case. If you think about it long enough, it appears to be a horrifying reality, and to make matters worse, we aren't suppose to question God why (Romans 9:20), because God is above us.

Instead of denying determinism, which is logical, I am beginning to question the nature of Hell itself. Sorry, I really don't have an answer for your question, because I still ask it to this day.

• Winner
Reactions: Neostarwcc
Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟918,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I understand your sentiment.

Hell is a serious problem: it is eternal and permanent. For God to predetermine our eternal destiny, even though we are responsible for it, presents Him as an arbitrarily partial Creator. I say arbitrarily, because, those whom He elects had nothing in themselves that influenced their calling. Why He decided to choose Sam instead Tim has nothing to do with Sam or Tim, but still, that choice will have profound and eternal consequences for the both of them. If Tim was destined from eternity, in God's love, to eternal life, then Sam was destined from eternity, in God's wrath, to eternal damnation, for no actual reason in themselves. This is very partial, but arbitrary on a human level of understanding. If we use Paul's logic in Romans 9:22-23, then God has the right to create a majority of people for no other purpose but to show how much He loved His chosen few. The reprobate, in this case, who will consist of 99% of humanity, have no other ultimate meaning but to show that they weren't eternally loved by their Creator, and that they were only meant serve those whom God wanted to shower His covenant love on. So, from my perspective, this presents God in a very impersonal light toward His own fallen creatures who were victims of the fall. Yes, people commit sin, which has serious consequences, but at the same time, because they are serious, the fact that people are born sinners and cannot free themselves without God's effectual grace working in them makes any rational person cringe at the thought of it. Again, people are born to be condemned if that is the case. If you think about it long enough, it appears to be a horrifying reality, and to make matters worse, we aren't suppose to question God why (Romans 9:20), because God is above us.

Instead of denying determinism, which is logical, I am beginning to question the nature of Hell itself. Sorry, I really don't have an answer for your question, because I still ask it to this day.

No you explained it pretty well it made sense. Thanks.

I think a majority of humanity is going to have the same question. I'm a little upset that Paul dealt with the question and refused to answer because it would have given an insight into God's reasoning. But maybe the actual reason is something mankind cannot grasp.

Reactions: Jonaitis
Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟122,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
No you explained it pretty well it made sense. Thanks.

I think a majority of humanity is going to have the same question. I'm a little upset that Paul dealt with the question and refused to answer because it would have given an insight into God's reasoning. But maybe the actual reason is something mankind cannot grasp.
I agree, and the way Paul dealt with it almost infers that he himself was ignorant of the 'why' ("what if..."). If Paul didn't know the reason, then perhaps you're right, we cannot grasp it either. I still don't think it is unreasonable to question it. It is a natural reaction, in my opinion, for anyone who seeks to know God and His will better.

I feel that many of us who have a strong view of divine sovereignty are too afraid to directly confront this. It seems easiest to simply rest in what Paul says, but for some like us, it doesn't give a satisfactory answer.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,925,293.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
...nobody can do anything outside of God's will.
Hello Neostarrwcc, I don't have enough time to address everything that I want to in your OP, so I thought that I'd start with the above quote (from your OP).

I am (first of all) just looking for a little clarity (to be sure that I am understanding your full meaning).

As a for instance, when you state that, "nobody can do anything outside of God's will", do you mean that we sin because it is God's sovereign will that we do so, IOW, that He causes/forces us to do so?

If that's not it, what do you mean?

Thanks for your help :)

God bless you!!

--David

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Brother-Mike

Predetermined to freely believe
Aug 16, 2022
Toronto
✟41,941.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Ultimately it's God and scripture that decides what is true and what's not.

But that's probably why Paul said "shut up". Mankind is incapable of understanding God and why he judges as he does. We just have to trust that God is who he and the angels say he is. Holy and without any trace of evil.
I'd agree that theodical motifs, scripturally speaking, are often:
  1. God is ultimately unknowable.
  2. Who are we, as creatures, to fault or worse judge God's plan? Do we presume we can even judge other people, or even ourselves with any certainty?
But useful to me is the deeper message (e.g. Isaiah 40:4-5) that all things are ultimately to the greatest glory of God. On this side of Judgement what may seem to be ordained sin and suffering will be made clear and reconciled in the New Earth. Along with the ordaining of every person's status of election was also ordained the means for each and every one of them to make a creaturely decision to believe or to reject. Nobody's going to Hell without having actively rejected whatever knowledge of God was granted them.

The illegitimate child of a prostitute born in 12th century Japan, who only lived twenty minutes beyond birth, was still either elect or not. And in those fleeting twenty minutes, it was ultimately between God and his creation to re-enact the Divine plan of acceptance or rejection.

My two cents at least... your milage may vary :grinning:

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟918,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hello Neostarrwcc, I don't have enough time to address everything that I want to in your OP, so I thought that I'd start with the above quote (from your OP).

I am (first of all) just looking for a little clarity (to be sure that I am understanding your full meaning).

As a for instance, when you state that, "nobody can do anything outside of God's will", do you mean that we sin because it is God's sovereign will that we do so, IOW, that He causes/forces us to do so?

If that's not it, what do you mean?

Thanks for your help :)

God bless you!!

--David

No of course not. While God did predestine the fall our sins are permitted by God. God causing us to sin would make him a sinner himself. I meant that nothing can happen outside of God's sovereignty in the sense that God knows what we're going to do ahead of time and he predestined our actions. Like where we live, who we marry, wh a t college we go to and if we graduate college... stuff like that.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟918,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I'd agree that theodical motifs, scripturally speaking, are often:
  1. God is ultimately unknowable.
  2. Who are we, as creatures, to fault or worse judge God's plan? Do we presume we can even judge other people, or even ourselves with any certainty?
But useful to me is the deeper message (e.g. Isaiah 40:4-5) that all things are ultimately to the greatest glory of God. On this side of Judgement what may seem to be ordained sin and suffering will be made clear and reconciled in the New Earth. Along with the ordaining of every person's status of election was also ordained the means for each and every one of them to make a creaturely decision to believe or to reject. Nobody's going to Hell without having actively rejected whatever knowledge of God was granted them.

The illegitimate child of a prostitute born in 12th century Japan, who only lived twenty minutes beyond birth, was still either elect or not. And in those fleeting twenty minutes, it was ultimately between God and his creation to re-enact the Divine plan of acceptance or rejection.

My two cents at least... your milage may vary :grinning:

Thank you that does explain everything.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟276,593.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
On the other field we have mankind's responsibility to accept Christ. My question is, if God has declared everything that comes to pass how therefore can we avoid God's wrath and how can God still be a just God by leaving the lost in their sins and then declaring on judgement day that they're guilty for not believing?
Simple answer. . .in justice, he doesn't owe mercy to anyone.

He is free to sovereignly give grace to whom he pleases.
Again, I don't mean to make fun of or disprove reformed theology I'm just asking a question. Because, nobody can do anything outside of God's will. I know Paul answered this very question with a "shut up. You don't understand who you are and who God is and we have no right to tell God how to be." But, I would like an answer beyond "Shut up".

For example, say person A recieves faith from God and person B is left in their sin. Person B gets justice and the other gets grace, neither gets injustice. This is a truth in reformed theology. But, how can God still keep his sinless character by declaring one lost and the other sanctified and how is this truth so?
Let me start with a summary of the issue, maybe it will narrow it down to fewer points for you, and we can go from there.

1) There is no disagreement between the sovereignty of God and the "free will" of man, because the Bible does not teach that man's will is free, but rather than man is a slave to sin, which is the meaning of the depravity of man. Man has free agency, the ability to choose according to his disposition.
No disagreement between the sovereignty of God and the "free will" of man.

2) There is no disagreement between the sovereignty of God and the "free agency" of man, because man still voluntarily chooses to do what he prefers. The Bible teaches that, even though man's will is not "free" (able to make all moral choices, as in the choice never to sin in thought, word or deed), man is responsible for sin, including the sin of Adam which is imputed to him (Romans 5:12-17).
No disagreement between the sovereignty of God and the free agency of man.

3) There is no disagreement between the responsibility of man and the impotency of man, because responsibility is not based in ability, but in what is justly owed.
No disagreement between the responsibility of man and the impotency of man.

4) There is no disagreement between justice and man's responsibility for Adam's sin, because personal responsibility for debt does not require that the debt be personally incurred, only that one then adds to it.
No disagreement between justice and man's responsibility for Adam's sin.

5) There is no disagreement between the sovereignty of God causing man's actions and the responsibility of man for his actions because it is just that the unjust should glorify the justice of God.
No disagreement (injustice) between the sovereignty of God causing men to act and the responsibility of man for his actions.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟801,184.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

When you try to interpret a very poetic psalms, like Ps. 139:16, you have to allow the write some poetic license. There are many examples of this in the Psalms.

This poet is the same man guilty of adultery and murder, so is God responsible for David doing those things?

God does know from the beginning of time what exactly David “would do” in man’s time and as King of Israel David is very limited by God, but David still has free will ability to make decisions. (to be explained).

Is. 46: 10-13 is another very poetic passage. Here we have: “13 I am bringing my righteousness near,

it is not far away; and my salvation will not be delayed. I will grant salvation to Zion, my splendor to Israel.”

But did that salvation and splendor happen for the Northern and Southern Kingdom?

“Jer. 18: 7 If at any time I announce that a nation or kingdom is to be uprooted, torn down and destroyed, 8 and if that nation I warned repents of its evil, then I will relent and not inflict on it the disaster I had planned. 9 And if at another time I announce that a nation or kingdom is to be built up and planted, 10 and if it does evil in my sight and does not obey me, then I will reconsider the good I had intended to do for it.”

What Jerimiah is saying: “God’s actions are very much contingent on man’s actions.

God can know perfectly everything that will happen in man’s future without causing it to happen:

“How does God know miraculously the future perfectly?”

Does God at the end of time know historically everything that happened include your choice to pray or not pray and what you asked for? History cannot be change and everything you did becomes history.

Think about this: If I know perfectly a truly free will choice you made yesterday that choice is fixed and cannot be changed since it is history. The fact I know your free will choice of yesterday, does not keep it from being a free will choice.

History cannot be changed even if God was the only one to know about something that has happened, since it still happened. Since God does everything right perfectly the first time, there is no reason to do it over again.

God is outside of time and omnipresent throughout time, so God at the end of time knows everything historically that has happened throughout time, making it unchangeable (fixed). Yet again just because God at the end of time knows all things that happened throughout time perfectly, does not mean human autonomous free will choice could not have been made.

God at the end of time is the same God existing within Himself at the beginning of time and thus God has historically all the foreknowledge of what happened throughout time, but again that does not mean humans could not have made autonomous free will choices.

God did not present this miraculous method of “how” He knows the future, but that is not unusual and communicates to man from man’s perspective is also God’s way.

There are other ways God can know stuff, but He is outside of time, so He also knows everything historically throughout time?

God is very much interacting with humans, but knows everything that has happened already in the future as pure unchangeable history. It is like God at the end of time sends all human history back to Himself at the beginning of time, it is information and not like God is living it twice or constantly.

Jesus knew when He was teaching His disciple, what He would be going through on the cross as pure history, but that does not mean He was on the cross constantly.

Romans 9 takes some explaining:

Paul uses two teaching methods throughout Romans even secular philosophy classes will use Romans as the best example of these methods. Paul does an excellent job of building one premise on the previous premises to develop his final conclusions. Paul uses an ancient form of rhetoric known as diatribe (imaginary debate) asking questions and most of the time giving a strong “By no means” and then goes on to explain “why not”. Paul’s method goes beyond just a general diatribe and follows closely to the diatribes used in the individual laments in the Psalms and throughout the Old Testament, which the Jewish Christians would have known extensively. These “questions or comments” are given by an “imaginary” student making it more a dialog with the readers (students) and not just a “sermon”.

The main topic repeated extensively in Romans is the division in the Christian house churches in Rome between the Jews and Gentile Christians. You can just look up how many times Jews and gentiles are referred to see this as a huge issue.

The main question (a diatribe question) in Romans 9 Paul addresses is God being fair or just Rms. 9: 14 What then shall we say? Is God unjust? Not at all!

This will take some explaining, since just prior in Romans 9, Paul went over some history of God’s dealings with the Israelites that sounds very “unjust” like “loving Jacob and hating Esau” before they were born, but remember in all of Paul’s diatribes he begins before, just after or before and just after with strong support for the wrong answer (this makes it more of a debate and giving the opposition the first shot as done in all diatribes).

Some “Christians” do not seem to understand How Paul uses diatribes and think since he just showed God being “unjust” and saying God is “not unjust” that God has a special God definition of “just”, making God “just” by His standard and appearing totally unjust by human standards. God is not a hypocrite and does not redefine what He told us to be true.

Who in Rome would be having a “problem” with God choosing to work with Isaac and Jacob instead of Ishmael and Esau? Would the Jewish Christian have a problem with this or would it be the Gentile Christians?

If God treaded you as privileged and special would you have a problem or would you have a problem if you were treated seemingly as common and others were treated with honor for no apparent reason?

This is the issue and Paul will explain over the rest of Romans 9-11.

Paul is specific with the issue Rms. 9: 19 One of you will say to me: “Then why does God still blame us? For who is able to resist his will?”

The Jews were created in a special honorable position that would bring forth the Messiah and everyone else was common in comparison (the Gentiles).

How do we know Paul is specifically addressing the Jew/Gentile issue? Rms. 9: 30 What then shall we say? That the Gentiles, who did not pursue righteousness, have obtained it, a righteousness that is by faith; 31 but the people of Israel, who pursued the law as the way of righteousness, have not attained their goal. 32 Why not? Because they pursued it not by faith but as if it were by works. They stumbled over the stumbling stone.

Paul is showing from the position of being made “common” vessels by God the Gentiles had an advantage over the Israelites (vessels of honor) that had the Law, since the Law became a stumbling stone to them. They both needed faith to rely on God’s Love to forgive them.

Without going into the details of Romans 9-11 we conclude with this diatribe question: Romans 11: 11 Again I ask: Did they stumble so as to fall beyond recovery? Not at all! Rather, because of their transgression, salvation has come to the Gentiles to make Israel envious. 12 But if their transgression means riches for the world, and their loss means riches for the Gentiles, how much greater riches will their full inclusion bring!

The common vessels (gentiles) and the vessels of honor (Jews) are equal individually in what is really significant when it comes to salvation, so God is not being unjust or unfair with either group.

If there is still a question about who is being addressed in this section of Rms. 9-11, Paul tells us: Rms. 11: 13 I am talking to you Gentiles. Inasmuch as I am the apostle to the Gentiles, I take pride in my ministry 14 in the hope that I may somehow arouse my own people to envy and save some of them.

Rm 9:22 What if God, although choosing to show his wrath and make his power known, bore with great patience the objects of his wrath—prepared for destruction?

This verse is not saying all the “vessels” created for a “common purpose” were created for destruction (they were not made from the start by the Potter “clay pigeons”). Everything that leaves the potter’s shop is of great quality. Those vessels for destruction can come from either the common group or the honor group, but God is being patient with them that will eventually be destroyed. The vessels God does develop great wrath against, will be readied for destruction, but how did they become worthy of destruction since they left the potter’s shop with his mark on them? Any vessel (honorable or common) that becomes damaged is not worthy of the potters signature and He would want it destroyed.

To understand this as Common vessels and special vessels look at the same idea using the same Greek words of Paul in 2 Tim 2: 20. There Paul even points out the common can become the honored vessel.

Just because Paul uses a Potter as being God in his analogy and Jerimiah uses a Potter as being God in his analogy, does not mean the analogies are conveying the exact same analogy. Jerimiah is talking about clay on the potter’s wheel being change while still being malleable clay (which fits the changing of Israel), but Paul is talking about two pots (vessels) so they cannot both be Israel, the clay is the same for both and the clay is not changing the outcome of the pot. The two pots (vessels) are completed and a person is asking “Why did you make me like this”, so it is about “how a person is made (born)” and not a nation.

Since Jerimiah talks only about one pot on the wheel changing and Paul is talking about two kinds of completed pots (vessels), who are the two different pots?

Paul is saying in 2 Tim 2: 21 even after leaving the shop the common vessels can cleanse themselves and thus become instruments for a special purpose. So, who is the common vessel and who is the special vessel in this analogy?

That is a short explanation, since you really need to study all of Romans especially chapters 9, 10 and 11. Also please look at individual laments in the Psalms and diatribes in general, I really cut those short.

Upvote 0

Hawkins

Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2005
Canada
✟237,544.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

First and foremost, God knows everything, He knows everything beforehand. That's part of the meaning of His sovereignty. Now God knows B is not suitable to live in a forever realm, while A is foreseeably qualified to live eternally with God. Then what, God simply kills B and keeps A. He can't do both!!!!!!! In order to be a fair God, He needs to abide by what Law would like to say. He's fair God only when Law says that He can keep A. He can only be a fair God when Law says that He shall remove B.

So in order to identify A from B under open witnessing, such that everyone is shown whether God is fair or not, God sets a a standard we call Law! God will keep whoever Law allows to keep.

Now even though God knows that B is suitable to live eternally, however due to the influence from the bad angels (another kind of free will entities choosing to break the Law), now no humans can be saved in terms of Law. even A is not savable in terms of Law. Both A and B shall be sentenced to death in accordance to Law. In order to distinguish A from B, God needs to set up another standard such that under fair and open witnessing, A shall be saved but not B. This standard is known as a Covenant!

So God needs to judge the angels under open witnessing using Law, and needs to judge humans under open witnessing using the covenants. Does it mean that God cannot be fair and has to use different standards on different entities with free will? Yes, if it's without Jesus. With Jesus then a justification is done as demanded by Law, such that humans can be legitimately judged by the covenants applicable to them.

At last but not least, under God's sovereignty God bears the responsibility to set up Law and covenants so that whether one shall be saved is in accordance to a standard, nothing is arbitrary, such that God can be called a fair and just Lord and God!

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,925,293.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hello Brother-Mike, Calvin's belief was that all who die as infants/babies/toddlers (and prior to birth, of course) are elect. I'm not sure if I agree with him about that or not, but that's what he says in Institutes (and he gives reasons why, of course).

Aside from the above, one has to wonder what the basis might be for God's judgment, condemnation and eternal damnation of someone who has never sinned (personally), someone who neither knows nor has any ability whatsoever to understand the Law, even the "law" that is written upon their hearts by God from birth (IOW, someone who does not know/cannot understand even the most basic concepts of right and wrong)? I guess what I'm saying is that I find it difficult to believe (as some do) that God would condemn someone to eternity in the Lake of Fire on the basis of their fallen "nature" alone, and the Bible seems to agree, I think. For instance:

Romans 2
12 All who sin apart from the law will also perish apart from the law, and all who sin under the law will be judged by the law.
13 For it is not those who hear the law who are righteous in God’s sight, but it is those who obey the law who will be declared righteous.
14 Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature things required by the law, they are a law for themselves, even though they do not have the law,
15 since they show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts now accusing, now even defending them.)
16 This will take place on the day when God will judge men’s secrets through Jesus Christ, as my gospel declares.

God bless you!!

--David

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Brother-Mike
Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,925,293.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
No of course not. While God did predestine the fall ... our sins are permitted by God. God causing us to sin would make him a sinner himself. I meant that nothing can happen outside of God's sovereignty in the sense that God knows what we're going to do ahead of time and he predestined our actions. Like where we live, who we marry, wh a t college we go to and if we graduate college... stuff like that.
Thank you :)

Just to be clear, I believe that ALL Biblical "predestination" is to life only (IOW, to "adoption" as His sons/daughters), never to damnation (though His passing over of those who He does not elect, whose free will choice to reject Him He does not to interfere with, amounts to a passive predestination, of course).

That said, I also believe that in His foreknowledge He ordained the fall of mankind (meaning that He did not "cause" it to happen, rather, that He knew that it would happen and "allowed" it to happen). So, it seems that we are on the same page about all of this :oldthumbsup:

God bless you!!

--David
p.s. - terminology is often a BIG problem out here in online Christendom, and that is the thing that was probably hanging me up somewhat earlier in the thread (for instance, I see God's foreknowledge and ordination as one thing, something that He either causes, stops or allows to happen, but His choosing, election, and/or predestination, etc., as something that He is always directly responsible for doing).

It would be helpful if CF had a list of specific definitions for words that we could all use to better understand one another in threads like this one, but I doubt that will ever happen.

III. Of God’s Eternal Decree
1. God from all eternity, did, by the most wise and holy counsel of His own will, freely, and unchangeably ordain whatsoever comes to pass: (Eph. 1:11, Rom. 11:33, Heb. 6:17, Rom. 9:15,18) yet so, as thereby neither is God the author of sin, (James 1:13,17, 1 John 1:5) nor is violence offered to the will of the creatures; nor is the liberty or contingency of second causes taken away, but rather established. (Acts 2:23, Matt. 17:12, Acts 4:27–28, John 19:11, Prov. 16:33). ~Westminster Confession of Faith

Last edited:
Reactions: Neostarwcc
Upvote 0

Brother-Mike

Predetermined to freely believe
Aug 16, 2022
Toronto
✟41,941.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Hello Brother-Mike, Calvin's belief was that all who die as infants/babies/toddlers (and prior to birth, of course) are elect. I'm not sure if I agree with him about that or not, but that's what he says in Institutes (and he gives reasons why, of course).

Aside from the above, one has to wonder what the basis might be for God's judgment, condemnation and eternal damnation of someone who has never sinned (personally), someone who neither knows nor has any ability whatsoever to understand the Law, even the "law" that is written upon their hearts by God from birth (IOW, someone who does not know/cannot understand even the most basic concepts of right and wrong)? I guess what I'm saying is that I find it difficult to believe (as some do) that God would condemn someone to eternity in the Lake of Fire on the basis of their fallen "nature" alone, and the Bible seems to agree, I think. For instance:

Romans 2
12 All who sin apart from the law will also perish apart from the law, and all who sin under the law will be judged by the law.
13 For it is not those who hear the law who are righteous in God’s sight, but it is those who obey the law who will be declared righteous.
14 Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature things required by the law, they are a law for themselves, even though they do not have the law,
15 since they show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts now accusing, now even defending them.)
16 This will take place on the day when God will judge men’s secrets through Jesus Christ, as my gospel declares.

God bless you!!

--David
Evening St_Worm2 and thanks for the response.

Indeed I'd happily concede towards Calvin's belief that all who die as infants are elect, albeit with some thoughts FOR and AGAINST:
  1. FOR: I could be wrong but I don't believe that there are any scriptural examples one way or the other here. There's the description of Esau's non-election in Romans, but that's for an infant that will go on to live a full life with plenty of opportunities for sin.
  2. FOR: given the objective of all things working to the greatest glory of God, it would be hard to see how a non-elect infant destined to Hell would make any sense, at least by my puny little creature-mind. i.e. if the child can scarcely be imagined to have committed any sin, even of thought, then what "glorification" is being reconciled or illuminated in Hell?
  3. AGAINST: however, if infants are guaranteed election then some interesting issues arise. Presumably they bypass the Golden Chain? Just as they have exhibited no sin they would have presumably exhibited no fruit too. If the repentant thief on the cross raises an eyebrow here or there regarding his salvation how much more would a tabula rasa infant?
Any recollection in which book in the Institutes this was discussed? My curiosity is peaked now and I'm interested in delving deeper into his scriptural basis. Part of my thought process here was to simply state the mechanism (i.e. nobody goes to Hell without an active rejection), not necessarily to suggest the frequency of this happening for infants.

Regarding your concern that "God would condemn someone to eternity in the Lake of Fire on the basis of their fallen "nature" alone" - I agree completely. It WOULD be an unjust God sending anyone to Hell without sin. Hence my belief that Hell requires an active rejection. And the fact that anyone who's no longer an infant is a walking cluster-bomb of sin and offence to an infinitely just, infinitely good God.

Appreciate the feedback as always brother and blessings :grinning:

Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0