Feb 3, 2010
Horse-lie-down
Visit site
✟16,342.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
In my mind there are two main ways that God can be self-consistent (that is consistent with himself) in regards to creation, I first postulated this in my last thread on Providence. The two positions are roughly analogous to Evolutionary Creationism and Non-evolutionary Creationism. I want to pose two questions in this thread;

How did God create was it in consistency with his creation (which would be self-consistent) or was it consistent with his condescension (which also would be self-consistent)

Do you agree that both positions would be self-consistent?

MKJ

Contributor
Jul 6, 2009
East
✟23,894.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
In my mind there are two main ways that God can be self-consistent (that is consistent with himself) in regards to creation, I first postulated this in my last thread on Providence. The two positions are roughly analogous to Evolutionary Creationism and Non-evolutionary Creationism. I want to pose two questions in this thread;

How did God create was it in consistency with his creation (which would be self-consistent) or was it consistent with his condescension (which also would be self-consistent)

Could you maybe expand on what you mean a bit?

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

Providence is something provided previously, Genesis 1 is describing new creation as indicated by the use of the word 'bara'. It indicates the creation of the universe (Gen 1:1), life (Gen. 1:21) and used three times for the creation of man (Gen. 1:27). That's not providence, that's ex nihilo creation without precursors. After that God's providence has 'provided' the molecular mechanisms of evolution that are the cause adaptive changes in populations over time. Evolution is a living theory, it doesn't start until life is created.

Your not describing providence, your describing a naturalistic presupposition.

Upvote 0

Keachian

On Sabbatical
Feb 3, 2010
Horse-lie-down
Visit site
✟16,342.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Providence is something provided previously, Genesis 1 is describing new creation as indicated by the use of the word 'bara'. It indicates the creation of the universe (Gen 1:1), life (Gen. 1:21) and used three times for the creation of man (Gen. 1:27). That's not providence, that's ex nihilo creation without precursors. After that God's providence has 'provided' the molecular mechanisms of evolution that are the cause adaptive changes in populations over time. Evolution is a living theory, it doesn't start until life is created.

Your not describing providence, your describing a naturalistic presupposition.

I wasn't wanting to describe Providence.

I want to be talking about whether God in his creativity is limited to only being consistent with how he has condescended and revealed himself to us.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I wasn't wanting to describe Providence.

I want to be talking about whether God in his creativity is limited to only being consistent with how he has condescended and revealed himself to us.

Of course it is, the question comes to mind, is our understanding of natural revelation (Romans 1:18-20), consistent with our doctrine (Romans 8:1)

This all starts with creation and ends with creation, redemption itself has to be God's power expressed in our lives. How is that not special creation?

Upvote 0

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

God's creation is consistent at every level. From the largest, His Kingdom, to the smallest, the inside of an atomic nuclei.

One needs God's wisdom to see the consistency among these levels.
The two levels you mentioned: one is at the man's level and the other is at the God's level. The idea of evolution is a wrong connection between the two. The creation of Adam is the right way to connect it.

Upvote 0

Archie the Preacher

Apostle to the Intellectual Skeptics
Apr 11, 2003
Hastings, Nebraska - the Heartland!
Visit site
✟38,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
God is consistent with Himself. A human might see it as a limitation; God cannot be other than God. (For most humans, being other than what we are could easily be a promotion of some sort.)

We 'know' God to some degree.

We were created in God's image, so we 'resemble' Him. As He is Spirit (at least Jesus said so) so we aren't physically like Him; we are in mind and spirit make in His likeness. That likeness has been distorted by the Fall and consequent sin, but to some degree it is still there.

God has revealed Himself to us. He gave us the Bible, He sent His Son - who is God - and He has sent the Holy Spirit - also God - to us as a constant guide.

So we ought to have a fair idea of God's nature. He doesn't seem to be hiding from us; He talks with me daily. (No, He's never sat in my living room and had coffee.)

So all of God's creating was done in a manner consistent with His nature.

You contrast His 'condescension'. If I may, do you mean He 'dumbs down' some things for us to understand? I think I agree with that concept. I've got a very basic idea of how the 'strong nuclear force' works, but I'd not want to listen to the Lord explain it in detail and then have an essay exam on the subject.

I think God created all things as He felt they should be in order to function as He wanted them to function. I think He simplified the explanation as a full, detailed report wasn't needed for His purposes.

I'm not sure if I'm speaking to your question or not.

Upvote 0