✟32,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ellipses

“to-be” verbs are sometimes added to the text because, in the Greek, we have what is known as ellipsis. Sometimes the writers of Scripture will leave out the verbs, intentionally, to give what their saying a dramatic emphasis with a dramatic pause. This is known as ellipsis. Example:

What then shall we say to these things? If God is for(epi--over) us, who is (kata--down from a higher position and)against us? Rom 8:31 NASB

The “to-be” verbs, “is”, were added, for reasons of “English style”, by the translators and that is why they are in italics in the translation of the NASB. Actually, Paul was making a very dramatic point, through ellipses, and intentionally did not include the verbs. Paul, by the very nature of what he is saying, is speaking in such a dramatic way that he is pounding the pulpit, so to speak, so hard that his Bible has flown off the pulpit along with his pen and his drink! What Paul is saying is, “if God over(like the roof of a house) us(position)! (bamm!) who(any?) down-against us(position)!? (bamm!)”

Last edited:

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Have you ever used this interlinear? I have used it for over a decade and find it invaluable, imho.

Scripture4All - Greek/Hebrew interlinear Bible software

I used it to help translate Romans, Galatians and Hebrews using 5 of the greek texts, used in various Bible versions, which I harmonized. Here is the link:

Greek New Testament - Parallel Greek New Testament by John Hurt

Here are the links to my threads if you [or others] are interested. The CF switch-over garbled some of it unfortunately. God bless

Book of Romans verse by verse study

Book of Galatian verse by verse

Book of Hebrews verse by verse

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Haipule

Jun 20, 2017
Honokawai, Maui HI
✟32,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Have you ever used this interlinear? I have used it for over a decade and find it invaluable.

Scripture4All - Greek/Hebrew interlinear Bible software

I used it to help translate Romans, Galatians and Hebrews using 5 of the greek texts which I harmonized. Here is the link:

Matthew 1 - Parallel Greek New Testament - HTML Bible by johnhurt.com

Here are the links to my threads if you [or others] are interested. The CF switch-over garbled some of it unfortunately. God bless

Book of Romans verse by verse study

Book of Galatian verse by verse

Book of Hebrews verse by verse

Yes, I love scripture4all because of how they translate the Greek inflection. However, they use the Textus Receptus used by the KJV as the manuscript.

Biblehub uses older manuscripts used by the NASB in their interlinear but, they are weak on inflection.

I like to use the NASB along with the Textus Receptus and find discrepancies and then sort it out with Biblehub. However, the NASB will sometimes flip-flop. Case in point:

Wives, submit(this word is in their manuscript and scripture4all) yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord. Eph 5:22 KJV

Wives, be subject(imperative mood, middle voice, illogically translated as simply an active voice) to your own husbands, as to the Lord. Eph 5:22 NASB

Whereas, the manuscript used by the NASB has in Greek:

Thee Wives!(vocative case), to-thee own husbands (like)as to-thee Lord,

NO verb for the wives to submit/subject! I guess the translators like that word so put it in!

But, you actually translated Hebrews? I commend you! That dude was a genius with a genius vocabulary and uses Hebraisms!Whenever I translate Hebrews I proceed with extreme caution. I mean, compared to Mark and his sometimes awkward(lack of a better word) Greek.

Then there's Peter with his color commentary. And he said Paul was hard to understand!

I'm very comfortable with John and Paul.
I will look into your work and thank you. My work is a Kindle eBook Wake Up Call: William McCoy if anyone wants to look.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
*snip*
Yes, I love scripture4all because of how they translate the Greek inflection. However, they use the Textus Receptus used by the KJV as the manuscript..........................
I forgot about that.
I looked it up and it uses the later 1894 instead of the 1550 Ms, [tho I admit I do not know if there is any difference between them].
I do like the way the interlinear parses both the Hebrew and Greek words.

Online Greek Interlinear Bible

Greek Text : ScrTR Scriveners Textus Receptus 1894 (Basis of KJV / AV translation)

Stephens 1550 Textus Receptus
bibloV genesewV ihsou cristou uiou dabid uiou abraam

Scrivener 1894 Textus Receptus

Byzantine Majority
bibloV genesewV ihsou cristou uiou dauid uiou abraam

Alexandrian

Hort and Westcott

I generally compare the Byzantine Majority Text to the others and prefer it over the others most times. Thoughts?

I like to use the NASB along with the Textus Receptus and find discrepancies and then sort it out with Biblehub.
However, the NASB will sometimes flip-flop. Case in point:
Biblehub is a favorite site of mine also, along with the commentaries on it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Haipule

Jun 20, 2017
Honokawai, Maui HI
✟32,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I forgot about that.
I looked it up and it uses the later 1894 instead of the 1550 Ms, [tho I admit I do not know if there is any difference between them].
I do like the way the interlinear parses both the Hebrew and Greek words.

Online Greek Interlinear Bible

Greek Text : ScrTR Scriveners Textus Receptus 1894 (Basis of KJV / AV translation)

Stephens 1550 Textus Receptus

Scrivener 1894 Textus Receptus

Byzantine Majority

Alexandrian

Hort and Westcott

I generally compare the Byzantine Majority Text to the others and prefer it over the others most times.
Thanks! Even more fun! I had to delete some of my previous post because I got scoldings. I have a book form interlineal my pastor-teacher step-father gave me with all the old editor notes to compare one to another. Anyway, before the Dead Sea Scrolls

My main focus has been on parsing the inflection of the declension of nouns and conjugation of verbs into English.

As you know, anyone can read a lexicon but can they conjugate and decline a Greek nominative masculine plural, perfect passive paraphrasic indicative participle with este?

I always translate the grammatical inflection first, hyper-literally, before I try to assign a meaning outside of it's context and grammatical framework.

I love Greek because it's a precision Swiss watch! Whereas, English is sundial at night!

Upvote 0